Today In: FAFO

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Today In: FAFO

Post by japhy »

japhy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:34 am In this episode of Shrute Farms, Mose moves his clan to the land of real freedom.

Arend and his wife Anneesa Feenstra relocated their family from Canada to Russia to escape perceived LGBT ideology encroachment.

The conservative Christian couple from Canada made the bold move to relocate their large family of 10 to Russia to escape LGBT ideology.

However, their hopes of starting anew quickly turned into a nightmare upon arrival in Russia as their bank accounts, filled with the proceeds from selling their rural Canadian farm, were unexpectedly frozen due to "suspicious" activity, leaving them stranded and helpless in a country where they couldn't speak the language.

Anneesa's frustration boiled over, leading to a regrettable outburst against their new home, which only worsened their situation when Kremlin officials took offense. In a since-deleted YouTube video, the mom of eight said she was "very disappointed in this country at this point."

She added, per Daily Mail: "I'm ready to jump on a plane and get out of here. We've hit the first snag where you have to engage logic in this country, and it's very, very frustrating."

However, in a subsequent update, Arend issued an apology, acknowledging that their "thoughts aren't always conveyed properly." He added that their funds had been unfrozen, and despite the challenges, they remain committed to building a new life in Russia "for the long haul."

In the clip, he emphasized that Anneesa's frustrations were not directed at Russia as a whole. However, Anneesa's tearful display in an earlier video has raised doubts about their true feelings towards their decision to relocate.

Addressing the press during their relocation to Russia, Arend cited concerns about Canada not being the same country it used to be as a motivating factor for their move.

He explained: "'We didn't feel safe with our children there and for the future. There's a lot of left-wing ideology, LGBTQ, trans, just a lot of things that we don't agree with they teach there now."

The former beet farmer also shared that economic prospects in farming also played a role in their decision as Russia has "better farming opportunities." Arend also highlighted the former Soviet Union's perceived "strength" to "stand up against Western pressures" and its ability to shield their family from ideologies they found objectionable.

"Other countries are under the Western influence and wouldn't be able to stand up against it," he claimed.

In earlier recordings, Arend voiced his "disgust" over the prevalence of "homosexual flags everywhere" in their neighborhood, expressing discomfort with what he perceived as the celebration and glorification of such values.

This sentiment played a role in the family's decision to relocate to Russia amid the backdrop of the country's stringent anti-LGBT laws enacted two years prior. These laws effectively banned any public display of support for the LGBTQ community.

Before their move, the family sought reassurances from Russian authorities regarding assistance with their transition to their new environment.

Unfortunately, the family hit their second setback when they tried to unfreeze their money. In a YouTube clip, Arend expressed his frustration, noting the challenge of navigating the situation without English-speaking assistance in Russia.

"As much as banks have been very frustrating in Canada for me, I know that I can sit at a desk across from someone and explain it. And that's the frustrating part," he lamented.

Anneesa also shared her experience with the language barrier, adding: "We were naive on that. I needed to use the washroom, and on the doors said male and female, but I didn't know which was which!"

"In America, that wouldn't be a problem; it's a free-for-all in the bathrooms, but now, in our world, it matters!" her husband chimed in.

As media attention swirled around the Feenstra family's relocation to Russia, Arend addressed the coverage with skepticism, cautioning his followers that "Western media for the most part is very biased, corrupt probably." "Lots of lies, lots of nonsense being spread around the West about us," he added.

Despite criticism, he asserted: "We are perfectly happy here, we're not planning on leaving here, we're not stuck here, we're not hostages."

Encouraging others to consider a similar move, Arend touted Russia's perceived openness to welcoming American families, "especially large families, Christian farming families, conservative people."

"There's tons of land and opportunity here," he added.

Arend also defended their portrayal of Russia as a country with a free press, prompting challenges from viewers to critique Russian leadership and ongoing conflicts.

Arend remained steadfast in his conviction despite any detractors, expressing contentment with their new life. "I just want to farm," he said. "I just want to farm and raise my kids in what I believe is a free country."

Not all of the useful idiots come from the US or Britain, Canada has some as well.
A recent update on the Feenstra family, they are having to leave Russia. It seems they couldn't pass their language proficiency test and their tourist visas have expired.

They can come back in a few months and try again. But it seems they didn't factor in that it would cost them $10K to fly the whole brood back too Canada and another $10K to fly back and take another run at the language test.

Please donate to their "go fund me" account if you have some extra cash to throw at stupid.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm meeting my daughter for lunch tomorrow and we had discussed going to the Columbia restaurant in St. Armand Circle (Sarasota), but we won't be going there now. Which is sad, because it's a really good restaurant.

It’s worth noting — he says he still supports Ron DeSantis and is “proud of everything he’s done.”

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why would he hire illegals. hire legals instead.

he FA. he FO.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m guessing he hired those undocumented workers so he could get around paying “legals” (eg legal taxable wages), right?

Considering the legal minimum wage for tipped employees in Florida is an extravagant $8.98 an hour, I wonder how much less he was really paying.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Mich and Oussie, let me just say that your depth of knowledge of this subject is something to behold. I want to go grab a beer; but please, please, continue.

The Lurker just texted me. He compared this to the KU vs KSU football games from the 1980's, sans helmets.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm I’m guessing he hired those undocumented workers so he could get around paying “legals” (eg legal taxable wages), right?

Considering the legal minimum wage for tipped employees in Florida is an extravagant $8.98 an hour, I wonder how much less he was really paying.
Or because he couldn't get enough legal workers to show up and do the job day in and day out for the legal minimum wage or whatever he is paying. Restaurants are having a hard time staffing people all over the country. (insert "kids these days" meme here)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, that’s possible too.

If that’s the case, then perhaps it’s time to heed the wondrous forces of supply and demand as applied to the labor market too.

That’s to say, if the wage rates you offer do not yield an adequate supply of labor, maybe it’s time to offer better wage rates.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:05 pm I'm meeting my daughter for lunch tomorrow and we had discussed going to the Columbia restaurant in St. Armand Circle (Sarasota), but we won't be going there now. Which is sad, because it's a really good restaurant.

It’s worth noting — he says he still supports Ron DeSantis and is “proud of everything he’s done.”

God damn it, those are so good. Remind me so much of Piropos in KC.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

^^^

They really are excellent restaurants.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:10 pm why would he hire illegals. hire legals instead.

he FA. he FO.
Idiot
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Inflation bad, grunt.

Immigrants bad, grunt.

America best, tug.
jhawks99
Contributor