Today In: FAFO

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Today In: FAFO

Post by jfish26 »

Not Politics per se, but (1) of a piece with the brain rot, and (2) squarely fileable here.

https://defector.com/when-blindness-hit ... you-doctor
You remember the Bored Apes. Maybe. These were the dumb ugly worthless JPEGs of, like, dressed-up cartoon apes that various suckers and dolts were buying—or, like, investing in?—very loudly a couple of years ago. This was in 2021, back when NFTs (non-fungible tokens) were only a laughingstock among people capable of critical thinking.

[...]

Nevertheless! The apes have their enthusiasts, even now, more than two years after the roughly 47 seconds they spent as avatars of a pandemic-boomed, giddily nihilistic society's addled half-belief that you could impart value to virtually anything by calling it an NFT. Some number of these sad deluded HODLers gathered over the weekend in Hong Kong for ApeFest, hosted by Yuga Labs, the company that made enough money to host a festival in Hong Kong by generating F-grade JPEGs of cartoon apes and selling them to nincompoops. The 21st century is going incredibly.

You may find yourself wondering, Just what type of activity goes on at an ApeFest? Well, for one thing, there seems to have been an opportunity to stand there like a goddamn grandfather clock while improper [ultraviolet] stage lighting fries your eyeballs and face! Many attendees availed themselves of this, and are blind now.

[...]

Multiple attendees reported hospital trips, facial burns, searing eye pain, and vision loss, apparently caused by the stage lighting, which seems to have gone heavy on lasers and blacklights and somewhat less heavy on "knowing how to light a stage show."

[...]

Listen. I like satire as much as anybody. But this is simply far too on-the-nose. A bunch of Bored Ape dead-enders, holding onto underside-of-a-Walmart-skateboard–grade ape doodles whole entire years after the last of their fluky, illusory, momentary speculative value blew away like a fart in a tornado, now going blind because they traveled across the world to stand in front of a gigantic bank of lasers and blacklights and stare and stare and stare while their eyeballs melted? No! No, I'm sorry, this simply needs reworking.

This is the sort of thing that happens to Homer Simpson. It happens to Master Shake. If you were reading a satirical novel and it mentioned a bunch of fanatical HODLers going blind at a festival for their dead worthless Ponzi-tech garbage because they stood there like passive dullards and stared into a fly-by-night lasertag lighting array equivalent to the sun while various sweaty Shingy-type guys ideated at them, you would snort-laugh and kinda roll your eyes and go, "Oh, come on."

Once upon a time, impressionable youths with too much time on their hands went blind by eating powerful psychotropic drugs and going outside to have a discussion with the sun. You could do this basically anywhere in the world, provided you did not attempt it at night, or during winter at either of the earth's poles. Depending on the contours of one's friend group, one might not even have to pay for the drugs. Even now, you can go blind whenever you want! You don't have to go to ApeFest, nor indeed to the fest of any other primate or fraudulent blockchain artifact. You can just go outside and look upward. On the whole that seems like a better deal!

Not that I advise going blind in any case. But some people are just gonna do that anyway.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Because the Geneva Convention.....https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1058947165232331

I doubt Colorado misses Detry, he seems like a good addition to the Florida man herd. His gf seems likely to become a Neutral Zone National treasure.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Hopefully this won't trigger anyone who considers Jones a reliable source of information:

Alex Jones Scolded By Judge For Repeatedly Lying In Court
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am Hopefully this won't trigger anyone who considers Jones a reliable source of information:

"Just because you claim to believe something is true does not make it true" should be tattooed backwards on every Trump Humper's forehead so they can read it in the mirror every morning.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:40 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am Hopefully this won't trigger anyone who considers Jones a reliable source of information:

"Just because you claim to believe something is true does not make it true" should be tattooed backwards on every Trump Humper's forehead so they can read it in the mirror every morning.
Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:56 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:40 am

Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.
Can't believe jfish played the barrister card on you, twocoach.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what?!?!

can’t be…fox just gave them a patriot award
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Looks like the brother of the guy who's partially responsible for the best Supreme Court money can buy might be about to go through some things:

(Who am I kidding? I'm sure they'll buy their way out of it...)
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This should be on the F Around and Not Find Out thread, but what are you gonna do?

If we’re having a discussion about “soft on crime” Judges, after assaulting and pistol whipping his girlfriend, this 27yo MAGA Republican thug and founder of Students For Trump, Ryan Fournier, was immediately released by the MAGA Republican Judge.

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Every accusation is a confession, with these republican crooks:

Kim Taylor, the wife of a REPUBLICAN Iowa county supervisor, was found guilty of 52 counts of voter fraud Tuesday, concluding a months-long case into her interference in the 2020 election.

Federal prosecutors said Taylor attempted to “generate votes” in the 2020 primary and general elections in Iowa in order to help her husband, Woodbury County Supervisor Jeremy Taylor, win the primary for Rep. Steve King’s (R-Iowa) former seat.

...Jeremy Taylor, still serving as a county supervisor, defended his wife in a statement.
“While this was certainly not the outcome we were hoping for, we respect our court system that allowed the jury to hear my wife’s side of the story,” he told KCAU. “While I plan to continue making decisions that are best for our county’s families, my first priority right now is to deal with today’s results as a private matter in order to be there for my own family, my wife and our children.”

(Note: Although they try to pass themselves off as a neutral news source, people who've been paying attention know that The Hill has been biased for years. Nowhere in the linked article does it mention that this "official", whose wife pled guilty to 52 counts of voter fraud, is a republican. The fraud was pretty involved, and if you care to hear the details, here's a Youtube video with more detail: Republican's Wife Convicted Of Voter Fraud)
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

How far did her scheme go? To me, the husband should be suspended at least. Anyone with ethics (e.g. not republican post-1972) would have resigned.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:25 pm How far did her scheme go? To me, the husband should be suspended at least. Anyone with ethics (e.g. not republican post-1972) would have resigned.
Despite her best efforts, he lost in the primary, so it didn't go too far in terms of him running for US congress. But apparently she also "helped" him win his county supervisor election, and he doesn't plan to resign because

it's different when white male republicans do it.

But I did see that at least 3 of the other supervisors are going to try to jettison his ass.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

More evidence that my life is even more hopelessly boring, than I thought...

Florida GOP chairman under fire as more details emerge in rape inquiry. Republican Party chair and his wife, a Moms for Liberty co-founder, part of three-way encounter with alleged victim, affidavit says.

Leaders of the Florida Republican Party criticized state GOP Chairman Christian Ziegler as details emerged in a rape allegation by a woman with whom he and his wife previously had a three-way sexual encounter.

Ziegler is under investigation by Sarasota police but has not been charged. A search warrant affidavit obtained by the Florida Center for Government Accountability, a nonprofit watchdog group, and provided to The Washington Post reveals additional details about the allegations of the assault. [c]Police also obtained from the woman’s cellphone messages between her and Ziegler in the hours leading up to the encounter,[/b] the affidavit states.

On Oct. 2, the woman had agreed to have a sexual encounter with Ziegler that was to include his wife, Bridget, the affidavit says. But when the woman learned that Bridget couldn’t make it, she changed her mind and canceled. When Ziegler told her in one message that his wife was no longer available, she replied, “Sorry I was mostly in for her,” she said in a message, according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, the woman told Sarasota police that Ziegler then showed up at her apartment uninvited and raped her. The woman reported the assault to police two days later, and a rape kit was done at a Sarasota hospital, the affidavit states.

Christian Ziegler later told detectives that he had consensual sex with the woman, and that he had videotaped it and uploaded the video to Google Drive, according to the affidavit, but police were not able to locate the video. Sarasota police served a search warrant to Google last month, the affidavit says. Google did not respond to a request for comment Saturday.

In a 911 call two days after the alleged assault, a recording of which was also obtained by the Florida Center for Government Accountability and shared with The Post, a friend of the woman asked emergency responders to check on the woman at her apartment. According to the call’s recording, the friend said the woman hadn’t shown up for work for two days. When the friend called the woman, the woman sounded “drunk” and was “slurring her words,” the friend told dispatchers. “She told me she was raped and that she’s scared to leave her house,” the friend added, according to the recording of the call.

Bridget Ziegler, who is not named in the complaint against her husband, is a co-founder of Moms for Liberty and has worked closely with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on legislation that opponents have described as anti-LGBTQ+. Bridget “confirmed having a sexual encounter with the victim and Christian over a year ago and that it only happened one time,” the affidavit says...

The Zieglers were seen as a rising power couple in the state, second only to Ron and Casey DeSantis in their visibility and influence in state politics.

Bridget Ziegler, 41, has crusaded to purge schools around the country of books that encourage acceptance of different sexual and gender identities or highlight discrimination against Black people. She was first appointed to the Sarasota County School Board by former governor Rick Scott in 2014 to fill a vacant seat. She’s been reelected since then, and DeSantis took the unusual step last year of endorsing her and other conservative school board candidates.

Earlier this year, DeSantis appointed her to the special taxing district he and the legislature created to run the property around Disney World after the state took it over during a feud between the company and the governor. Ziegler has repeated DeSantis’s criticisms about Disney, claiming that the company’s content “sexualizes” children.

...Edwards, Roach and others say one of the most striking details to emerge from the investigation is the difference between what the Zieglers profess in public, and what they are alleged to have done in private.

“They have held themselves out to be paragons of the Christian conservative family values, a prototype,” Roach said. “And I think there’s a very heavy sense of betrayal, certainly within the Republican Party.”

Some observers viewed the allegations and Bridget Ziegler’s reported confirmation of a prior sexual encounter among the three as evidence of hypocrisy.

“This situation has really sparked not just enormous interest, but enormous criticism because it seems that there is just a stunning level of hypocrisy,” said Aubrey Jewett, an associate professor of political science at the University of Central Florida.

“Even if the rape sexual assault charge ends up either not true or unable to be proven, I think for a lot of Republicans, they would just be uncomfortable with the fact that you have people who are pushing a social conservative agenda saying there’s too much sex in society, particularly LGBTQ sex, but yet have engaged in, well, a threesome,” Jewett added.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

.This is pretty genius-ish, Expelled NY Republican George Santos has an account at "Cameo", where for $200, he'll record a personalized video for you. People often use these as gifts, i.e., you get a "happy birthday" greeting or congratulations video from someone famous. Santos didn't know that the "Bobby in New Jersey" he was recording the inspirational video for, was Democratic New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez, who Fetterman has called on to resign.

Sen. John Fetterman trolls Bob Menendez with social media video recorded by George Santos. Fetterman enlisted Santos on the app Cameo to record a video sarcastically encouraging the embattled New Jersey senator to “stand your ground” in the face of calls to resign.

Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., took his trolling of indicted Senate colleague Bob Menendez to a new level Monday by enlisting recently ousted Rep. George Santos to record a sarcastic video targeting Menendez, D-N.J.

“Hey Bobby! Look, I don’t think I need to tell you, but these people that want to make you get in trouble and want to kick you out and make you run away, you make them put up or shut up,” Santos said on Cameo, an app that allows people to pay celebrities to record personalized videos. “You stand your ground, sir, and don’t get bogged down by all the haters out there.”

"Stay strong. Merry Christmas," the video concludes with Santos smiling.

Santos was expelled from Congress on Friday after a House Ethics Committee report found there was “substantial evidence” that he broke multiple laws. Santos also faces federal charges, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

Fetterman posted the Cameo video to X, writing that he "thought my ethically-challenged colleague @BobMenendezNJ could use some encouragement given his substantial legal problems."

"So, I approached a seasoned expert on the matter to give ‘Bobby from Jersey’ some advice," the post continued.

Fetterman was the first Democratic senator to call for Menendez’s resignation. More than half of the Senate Democratic caucus has called for him to resign.

Santos reposted Fetterman's post, writing: "I love this! I wish I knew the Bobby in question! LOL."

Santos charges $200 to book a personal video, according to his Cameo page, which he links to in his X bio. A spokesperson from Fetterman's Senate office said the video was paid for with campaign funds.

"I don’t think Mr. Clickbait’s donors would appreciate him enriching George Santos," Menendez told NBC News when he was asked about the Cameo video. "I’m surprised he didn’t ask his parents for the money."

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gold bars featured in Sen. Bob Menendez bribery case are linked to a 2013 robbery, records show.

A businessman told police that he was the victim of a robbery in 2013 and asked them to recover the 22 stolen gold bars. Four bars were found a decade later in Menendez's home.

At least four gold bars found in the FBI search of Sen. Bob Menendez’s home had been directly linked to a New Jersey businessman now accused of bribing Menendez, the state’s senior senator, Bergen County prosecutor’s records from a 2013 robbery case show.

The businessman, Fred Daibes, reported to police that he was the victim of an armed robbery in 2013, and he asked police to recover the gold bars stolen from him. Daibes reported that $500,000 in cash and 22 gold bars were stolen, Edgewater, New Jersey, police records show. Police later caught four people with the stolen goods.

To get his property back, Daibes signed “property release forms” certifying the gold bars belonged to him, the records show.

“Each gold bar has its own serial number,” Daibes told investigators in a 2013 transcript made by prosecutors and police who recovered — and returned to Daibes — the stolen valuables. “They’re all stamped…you’ll never see two stamped the same way.”

A decade later, it said, the FBI found four gold bars with unique serial numbers in the Clifton, New Jersey, home of Menendez and his wife, Nadine...

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He’s the Wile E. Coyote of corrupt politicians. Can’t believe they didn’t find a giant boxing glove at the end of a giant spring, only he mistimed the spring and it hit him in the damn nose.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:05 pm

"I don’t think Mr. Clickbait’s donors would appreciate him enriching George Santos," Menendez told NBC News when he was asked about the Cameo video. "I’m surprised he didn’t ask his parents for the money."

[...][/i]
Or, he could have sold intelligence to the Egyptians, you two faced-weasle.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Moms for Liberty chapter splits off over response to rape allegation against co-founder's husband

Allegations against Florida Republican Party Chairman Christian Ziegler, whose wife is a Moms for Liberty co-founder, have created tensions in the conservative powerhouse group.

A Pennsylvania chapter of the conservative activist group Moms for Liberty split from the organization Monday over the national leadership’s response to a rape allegation against a co-founder’s husband.

Clarissa Paige, who was Moms for Liberty’s chapter chair in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and the state legislative lead for the group, said she was disturbed that the national leaders quickly jumped to defend Florida Republican Party Chairman Christian Ziegler and his wife, Bridget, after the allegations — and the criminal investigation into Ziegler’s conduct — became public last week.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas