Today In: FAFO

Ugh.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Today In: FAFO

Post by Sparko »

mjl2 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:02 pm I take no joy in this. They're rubes. They were intentionally manipulated. They're as much victims as they are guilty.
But c'mon. At least buy some magic beans. They are insipid beanless violent rubes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:05 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:23 am
jfish26 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:54 am

“No democratic processes were threatened” makes it very hard to take any of this seriously.
But, Psych has a point, considering the Muslim knee-grow from Kenya locked us in those FEMA camps right after he took away all our guns and unplugged grandma.
Sez the guy who hates the brown, Hindu, Indian man.
Vivek seems nice but his policies are ridiculous.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Does he have policies?

What I see are vapid, Gladwellesque thoughtburps that are generally some combination of illegal, impracticable and immoral.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

well, he does fancy himself in a like-minded group of himself, trump, and musk
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:29 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:23 am

But, Psych has a point, considering the Muslim knee-grow from Kenya locked us in those FEMA camps right after he took away all our guns and unplugged grandma.
I think his appeal lies in the fact that the current system is ridiculous, so anything that is the opposite of it seems preferable. Rather than equivocating and using doublespeak, he is straightforward and says "This is what needs to happen." For people who are struggling and feeling lost, that is reassuring.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:36 am Does he have policies?

What I see are vapid, Gladwellesque thoughtburps that are generally some combination of illegal, impracticable and immoral.
When I see விவேக் I’m reminded of Harold from the Monty Python flying sheep sketch. He’s the one who has convinced sheep that they are birds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:07 am

I think his appeal lies in the fact that the current system is ridiculous, so anything that is the opposite of it seems preferable. Rather than equivocating and using doublespeak, he is straightforward and says "This is what needs to happen." For people who are struggling and feeling lost, that is reassuring.
Wut? A big part of his whole thing is doublespeak.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:45 am

Haven't found that to be true. He says "this is the problem and here is the solution, as I see it."
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:33 am

Haven't found that to be true. He says "this is the problem and here is the solution, as I see it."
Ok.

But he says things all the time like referring to the “climate change agenda hoax”.

The very purpose of that phrasing is so that climate change deniers can hear an ally, but he can claim (in a manner that is technically true) to mainstream media that he said the agenda is a hoax, not climate change itself. But of course the climate change deniers largely will not see that MSM clarification (because they distrust MSM).

That simply IS doublespeak. And he does this with all sorts of things.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:37 am

Ok.

But he says things all the time like referring to the “climate change agenda hoax”.

The very purpose of that phrasing is so that climate change deniers can hear an ally, but he can claim (in a manner that is technically true) to mainstream media that he said the agenda is a hoax, not climate change itself. But of course the climate change deniers largely will not see that MSM clarification (because they distrust MSM).

I think most conservatives would agree that climate change is legitimate, but the ways that it is being used to scare and manipulate people (the agenda) is a hoax.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:45 am

Ok.

I think most conservatives would agree that climate change is legitimate, but the ways that it is being used to scare and manipulate people (the agenda) is a hoax.
Maybe so. But no R can afford to lose a single vote Trump got in 2020. And that very much includes a meaningful number of people who do believe climate change itself - not the agenda - is a hoax.

And Vivek knows that, so what he said was carefully-crafted doublespeak.

This is a core part of his playbook. And that’s…fine. It’s fine. But don’t tell me he’s a straight shooter who doesn’t do this!
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:52 am
JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:45 am

Ok.

Maybe so. But no R can afford to lose a single vote Trump got in 2020. And that very much includes a meaningful number of people who do believe climate change itself - not the agenda - is a hoax.

And Vivek knows that, so what he said was carefully-crafted doublespeak.

This is a core part of his playbook. And that’s…fine. It’s fine. But don’t tell me he’s a straight shooter who doesn’t do this!
I see what you're saying. I guess, to me, that's just politics. In my mind, doublespeak is things like Nancy Pelosi saying "We have to pass the bill so we can see what's in it."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Until you actually look at what he wants to do, then you realize he is ridiculous.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:36 pm

Until you actually look at what he wants to do, then you realize he is ridiculous.
As if what is happening now isn’t ridiculous? Hope is powerful medicine.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Lol!

A man who used a stolen riot shield to crush a police officer in a door frame during the U.S. Capitol insurrection was sentenced on Friday to more than seven years in prison for his role in one of the most violent episodes of the Jan. 6 attack.

Federal prosecutors had recommended a prison sentence of 15 years and eight months for Patrick McCaughey III, which would have been the longest sentence for a Capitol riot case by more than five years.

U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden sentenced McCaughey to seven years and six months in prison followed by two years of supervised release. The judge described McCaughey, 25, as a “poster child of all that was dangerous and appalling about” the Jan. 6, 2021, riot...

https://youtu.be/9pqtX2EFVR8?si=rXXjoD7hyWINNgz-
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:31 pm

You overdramatize the Democratic failures and minimize the Trump Party's criminal behavior so I can see why you think they are in some way comparable. It's embarrassing what you're trying to pull off right out in the open. We all see it for what it is. You can keep shucking this same corny BS that reads like the cast of Jersey Shore trying to recreate The Godfather and keep trying to convince yourself that "it's basically the same" but you're lying to yourself over and over and you know it.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:08 pm
You overdramatize the Democratic failures and minimize the Trump Party's criminal behavior so I can see why you think they are in some way comparable. It's embarrassing what you're trying to pull off right out in the open. We all see it for what it is. You can keep shucking this same corny BS that reads like the cast of Jersey Shore trying to recreate The Godfather and keep trying to convince yourself that "it's basically the same" but you're lying to yourself over and over and you know it.
If you can’t see the shit show we are living in the middle of, then there’s not much I can do to help you.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Don't kid yourself. Sadly, if there's anything we should have learned by now, it's that Psych lacks the personal insight that would require.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:46 pm

Don't kid yourself. Sadly, if there's anything we should have learned by now, it's that Psych lacks the personal insight that would require.
If you can’t see the shit show we are living in the middle of, then there’s not much I can do to help you.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

By what metric?