The 2024 Presidential Debate Thread

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The 2024 Presidential Debate Thread

Post by KUTradition »

he’s a changed man tho

or sumthin
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:24 am
JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:20 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:30 am
You have an inflated, distorted sense of reality everywhere else so this doesn't surprise me.
No distortion is necessary. The standard statistical distribution bears it out as a very likely reality.
Me: "He's this brilliant guy who...(interrupted)
Fake news
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I don't care about IQ points. He has exhibited a consistent pattern of willful, deliberate ignorance on this site and I am inclined to believe him based on the evidence. Frankly, the decision to be willful ignorant is worse than just not beind smart. Not being smart is a physical state with it's own limitations that cannot be overcome beyond a point. CHOOSING to be stupid when you have the capacity not to be is truly head scratching.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:02 am

I'd wager that my IQ is higher than yours.
You have an inflated, distorted sense of reality everywhere else so this doesn't surprise me.
No distortion is necessary. The standard statistical distribution bears it out as a very likely reality.
You are like the man lighting a cigar to prove he has gas remaining in his tank.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:25 am you have pointed all your propaganda squarely at him. that tells me he threatens you.
Yeah. The left is trying to put out viveks fire before it gets momentum. Vivek isn't going to win in 2024. But long term he is a massive threat to everything the left has worked so hard to destroy.. er "create?" Or whatever it is they are trying to do to this country
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:20 pm I don't care about IQ points. He has exhibited a consistent pattern of willful, deliberate ignorance on this site and I am inclined to believe him based on the evidence. Frankly, the decision to be willful ignorant is worse than just not beind smart. Not being smart is a physical state with it's own limitations that cannot be overcome beyond a point. CHOOSING to be stupid when you have the capacity not to be is truly head scratching.
Yes.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

A star was born last night in vivek. He caught the attention of a lot of people who hadn't heard of him before
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

randylahey wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:27 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:25 am you have pointed all your propaganda squarely at him. that tells me he threatens you.
Yeah. The left is trying to put out viveks fire before it gets momentum. Vivek isn't going to win in 2024. But long term he is a massive threat to everything the left has worked so hard to destroy.. er "create?" Or whatever it is they are trying to do to this country
Ha. The left is calling your bluff. The best thing about VGR is his diverse background and religion. The worst is that he somehow parrots the worst aspects of his rivals.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Vivek seems pointed down a very well-worn grift path. Too bad because he’s clearly a very smart guy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:39 pm Vivek seems pointed down a very well-worn grift path. Too bad because he’s clearly a very smart guy.
I call it Dennis Miller grifting. At a certain point it is so much easier to just mail it in to a conservative audience than try to stay ahead of sharp and witty people. The checks clear. You can do a mea culpa tour with Ann Coulter much later
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sparko wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:33 pm
Ha. The left is calling your bluff. The best thing about VGR is his diverse background and religion. The worst is that he somehow parrots the worst aspects of his rivals.

Keep trying. Vivek is trending all over the internet right now. The country took notice of him. And the left sees him as a THREAT. They can't use identity politics against a brown person, how will they ever beat him?

Vivek delivered the best break out performance since freshman Cole Aldrich tossed around Hansbrough in the final 4
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

omg…trending on the internet

he surpassed grumpy cat!!!
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Certainly possible.

I apologize for objectifying you Psych, but I think the following is germane in light of the discussion.

True story:

Way, way back in the .com days, I had met several other .com people and at a small gathering we were, of course, talking about .com. It's hard to be sure, but for context, I'm almost certain this predated DC's arrival, and the end of Psych's marriage.

So, we're telling/reliving .com stories and Psych's name comes up. One of the spouses who didn't participate in .com asked "Who's Psych?"

.comer: Brilliant!? Brilliant!? Are you kidding, and then they launched into a recitation of things, much of which had occurred before I was on .com, which added up to - "He had a bad childhood that left him emotionally scared and with a pov...".

Which was pretty much what I was going to say, before they interrupted me.

The .comer was a bright person who had been around there longer than me, and could therefore likely make a more accurate judgement, I decided.

It's funny how my opinion has waxed and waned over the years.

It would be interesting to hear how the .comer remembers the episode.
I don't really care one way or the other who is smarter. You were the one who felt the need to call me (and Randy) stupid unprovoked and based primarily on the fact that you disagree with points of view expressed on these boreds. I don't personally think that is a valid basis for determining how intelligent or unintelligent one is, but I don't presume to have cornered the market on ways of judging others.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

andrew yang was trending on the internet at one point in time, lobs
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Sparko wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:33 pm

Keep trying. Vivek is trending all over the internet right now. The country took notice of him. And the left sees him as a THREAT. They can't use identity politics against a brown person, how will they ever beat him?

Vivek delivered the best break out performance since freshman Cole Aldrich tossed around Hansbrough in the final 4
If Vivek had any actual integrity, he would let his campaign stand for itself. Instead, he’s doing everything he can to keep Trump at bay, by courting the worst of his supporters and pledging to break his oath of office at the earliest possible moment.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:20 pm I don't care about IQ points. He has exhibited a consistent pattern of willful, deliberate ignorance on this site and I am inclined to believe him based on the evidence. Frankly, the decision to be willful ignorant is worse than just not beind smart. Not being smart is a physical state with it's own limitations that cannot be overcome beyond a point. CHOOSING to be stupid when you have the capacity not to be is truly head scratching.
Which is similar to the point I was trying to make.

People - not just those around here, but in all of political discourse - tend to conflate intelligence with the degree to which another person's viewpoints align with their own. I would venture a guess that no one here - even the ones I don't care for - is stupid. They simply disagree with me. Shirley's contention that Randy and I and others who see the world differently than he are stupid is just wrong.

If you want to say "I disagree with you" or "I don't like your views/they are offensive to me," that is absolutely acceptable. Saying "You're an idiot" or "You're stupid" when what you mean is the former is just mud-slinging and is, in my opinion, silly.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:53 pm
Which is similar to the point I was trying to make.

People - not just those around here, but in all of political discourse - tend to conflate intelligence with the degree to which another person's viewpoints align with their own. I would venture a guess that no one here - even the ones I don't care for - is stupid. They simply disagree with me. Shirley's contention that Randy and I and others who see the world differently than he are stupid is just wrong.

If you want to say "I disagree with you" or "I don't like your views/they are offensive to me," that is absolutely acceptable. Saying "You're an idiot" or "You're stupid" when what you mean is the former is just mud-slinging and is, in my opinion, silly.
Agreed.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm

Certainly possible.

I apologize for objectifying you Psych, but I think the following is germane in light of the discussion.

True story:

Way, way back in the .com days, I had met several other .com people and at a small gathering we were, of course, talking about .com. It's hard to be sure, but for context, I'm almost certain this predated DC's arrival, and the end of Psych's marriage.

So, we're telling/reliving .com stories and Psych's name comes up. One of the spouses who didn't participate in .com asked "Who's Psych?"

.comer: Brilliant!? Brilliant!? Are you kidding, and then they launched into a recitation of things, much of which had occurred before I was on .com, which added up to - "He had a bad childhood that left him emotionally scared and with a pov...".

Which was pretty much what I was going to say, before they interrupted me.

The .comer was a bright person who had been around there longer than me, and could therefore likely make a more accurate judgement, I decided.

It's funny how my opinion has waxed and waned over the years.

It would be interesting to hear how the .comer remembers the episode.
I don't really care one way or the other who is smarter.
Yet, you were the one, just a few minutes ago, bragging up your IQ.

At least your inconsistency is consistent.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm andrew yang was trending on the internet at one point in time, lobs
Yes I recall. Before the deep state suffocated his campaign beneath the weight of Hillary's that

Yang was intriguing for a moment
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I sense the parable of the smug man blowing himself up to prove his point did not sufficiently resonate