1% better

Kansas Football.
nu_bronco

1% better

Post by nu_bronco »

I don't post much and start even less threads but think this is a good take on the 1% better the coaches relay to the fans and players.

“The target of what you’ve got to improve gets smaller, but there’s always something you can improve,” the KU running back said. “We always find something new that we can focus on and get better at. We haven’t arrived. That’s our mindset and we’re not about to get complacent.”

https://www.r1s1sports.com/jayhawks-def ... tra-means/

Always liked Matt's insight so might be bias.
ChalkRocker

Re: 1% better

Post by ChalkRocker »

Didn't hit the link, but "1% better" is something I 1st heard of when watching a news blurb abt a young spl olympian. The idea seemed sensible.

I'm for it!
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

test

Sorry, my dumb ass can somewhat comprehend the concept but I still have questions.
Why settle and/or aim for 1%? How do you measure the 1%? If you get 1% better every day then after 100 days have you maxed out your "better"?

I'm all for slogans and mantras if everyone buys in and is on board but..... I often laugh at some of them.
I found this in a Chicago Tribune article from 2106. Here are some Big 10 real winners/losers from the years prior to 2016 and 2016......

Illinois
W.I.N.T. (Whatever Is Necessary Today)
We Will Win

Indiana
Out the gate
Lock IN
RepIN

Michigan State
P4RB (Prepare for Rose Bowl)
Chase it
Reach Higher
Back2Back

Minnesota
Ski-U-Mah
Brick By Brick

Northwestern
Expect Victory
W.I.N. (Whats Important Now)

Not a Big 10 team but this is a wtf one that I don't understand.
Notre Dame
Leaders Eat Last

Purdue
Focus Fight Finish
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Not sure what "Ski-U-Mah" means.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:54 am test

Sorry, my dumb ass can somewhat comprehend the concept but I still have questions.
Why settle and/or aim for 1%? How do you measure the 1%? If you get 1% better every day then after 100 days have you maxed out your "better"?

I'm all for slogans and mantras if everyone buys in and is on board but..... I often laugh at some of them.
I found this in a Chicago Tribune article from 2106. Here are some Big 10 real winners/losers from the years prior to 2016 and 2016......

Illinois
W.I.N.T. (Whatever Is Necessary Today)
We Will Win

Indiana
Out the gate
Lock IN
RepIN

Michigan State
P4RB (Prepare for Rose Bowl)
Chase it
Reach Higher
Back2Back

Minnesota
Ski-U-Mah
Brick By Brick

Northwestern
Expect Victory
W.I.N. (Whats Important Now)

Not a Big 10 team but this is a wtf one that I don't understand.
Notre Dame
Leaders Eat Last

Purdue
Focus Fight Finish
Leaders make sure they're team is taken care of, make sure everyone else has food and water and is good. Then they eat.

Selfish, narcissistic blowhards take the first plate.

I might be wrong but I think thats a military thing.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Marines. Leaders eat last. Simon Sinek wrote a book on it. One of his better ones. But he really pissed me off with his take on the Wright Brothers. He is a shot in the dark philosopher
surly

Post by surly »

AlOerter wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:05 am Not sure what "Ski-U-Mah" means.
it's sorta like rock chalk. an american dakota saying for "victory" that had to be white-man-skewed a bit to rhyme. silly, but that's what comes from such things - chanting at rocks and such. since we summer up here amongst the bison, dakota, and gophers, i'm an expert of sorts. you are welcome. #emaw
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Thanks TDub and and Sparko!
My slow brain wasn't moving/working and your explaining it now makes perfect sense.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.