23/24 polls

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: 23/24 polls

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:27 pm i’d be curious, though, what everyone thinks about the familiarity aspect. does it make a difference?
I think it does. Gameplan and scouting wise for sure.

For example, it almost looked like TCU was baiting us into some bad passes by making it look like it was open and then jumping it because they knew what we were looking for and where we were looking to go.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:47 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:27 pm i’d be curious, though, what everyone thinks about the familiarity aspect. does it make a difference?
I think it does. Gameplan and scouting wise for sure.

For example, it almost looked like TCU was baiting us into some bad passes by making it look like it was open and then jumping it because they knew what we were looking for and where we were looking to go.
but how much of that is Dixon being a decent coach (vs. familiarity more generally)?

i honestly don’t know, and don’t really have an opinion

there’s part of me that thinks the new kid might be able to play looser without all the rivalry and back-stories…but maybe none of that matters all that much
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:52 pm there’s part of me that thinks the new kid might be able to play looser without all the rivalry and back-stories…but maybe none of that matters all that much
I would agree if the new kid was coming from a similar conference like the big10 or ACC or SEC, but Houston is going to experience tougher road environments on a nightly/weekly basis than they have over this several year stretch of being really good.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:20 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:52 pm there’s part of me that thinks the new kid might be able to play looser without all the rivalry and back-stories…but maybe none of that matters all that much
I would agree if the new kid was coming from a similar conference like the big10 or ACC or SEC, but Houston is going to experience tougher road environments on a nightly/weekly basis than they have over this several year stretch of being really good.
i’ll be curious to see how it plays out. i’m not sure how comparable from a program standpoint, but that’s essentially the gonzaga argument…that they’d never get the seeding and love they do if they were playing in a “real” conference
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:54 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:20 pm
i’ll be curious to see how it plays out. i’m not sure how comparable from a program standpoint, but that’s essentially the gonzaga argument…that they’d never get the seeding and love they do if they were playing in a “real” conference
I think the Zags and Houston would both have still been as good over this stretch they have had, but they almost certainly would have lost more games playing tougher competition in a better conference.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:55 pm At some point Houston will have to move up to no. 1 if they keep winning.
They are no. 1 in Kenpom.
We are 16th.
But they didn’t.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Welp.
Guess we just gotta go win two this week.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bilas Index:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... basketball

1. Purdue Boilermakers: This is the nation's best team.
2. Houston Cougars: The Cougars are the best overall defense in college basketball, leading the nation in scoring defense and field goal percentage defense, and nothing is easy or given.
3. Arizona Wildcats: While everyone freaks out over Arizona's loss to Stanford, remember that the Wildcats have played a ridiculous schedule and boast a Top 5-rated offense and defense.
4. Kansas Jayhawks: The Jayhawks are simply amazing. From the jump, it has been clear that Kansas' title hopes rest with roster spots 5 through 8. Bill Self's top four players have been stellar, and Hunter Dickinson and Kevin McCullar Jr. have both been first-team All-Americans. McCullar has been the best two-way player in the country over the first half of the season. Yet, when you watch Kansas play and practice, one cannot help but wonder if and when the heavy load carried by the Phog Four will catch up to Kansas. It hasn't yet, and it has wins over Kentucky, Tennessee, UConn and TCU, with the only blemish being the Marquette loss in Hawaii. Kansas will get clipped in a few Big 12 games, but if the Jayhawks stay healthy and get significant improvement from Elmarko Jackson, Johnny Furphy and Jamari McDowell, this team will hang another Big 12 banner.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We are a "win ugly" kind of team. We aren't ever going to look sexy or seem like the best team on paper.....but on the court, I think we might be.

I really wish college was an NBA type of format for determining the national champion. We'd have 1 less with Danny and a half dozen more with Self.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kenpom.

1. Houston
12. BYU
14. Baylor
15. ISU
19. KU
20. OU
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Stay at 3 since everyone else lost.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

7 Big12 teams in top 25

that’s just stupid
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:14 pm 7 Big12 teams in top 25

that’s just stupid
It's actually 8. I assume you did like I did and forgot BYU.

3 Kansas
5 Houston
9 Baylor
15 Oklahoma
19 TCU
20 BYU
24 Iowa State
25 Texas Tech
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:07 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:14 pm 7 Big12 teams in top 25

that’s just stupid
It's actually 8. I assume you did like I did and forgot BYU.

3 Kansas
5 Houston
9 Baylor
15 Oklahoma
19 TCU
20 BYU
24 Iowa State
25 Texas Tech
i’ve done this a few times, not thinking straight about all the conference membership changes (i almost included ‘zona)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

8th.

12th in power rankings.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... stays-no-1

12. Kansas Jayhawks (16-4)
Previous ranking: 9
This week: vs. Oklahoma State (Tuesday), vs. Houston (Saturday)

Kansas has now lost three of its past six games, dropping to 4-3 in the Big 12 -- tied for the Jayhawks' worst start in league play under Bill Self. For the first half of the season, it was easy to point to their lack of a consistent fifth option when they were struggling. But the recent downturn in form has happened as Johnny Furphy was thrust into the starting lineup and became a consistent perimeter shooter. Kansas' defense has been inconsistent in league play, and it has also fallen victim to variance in certain cases, with West Virginia and Iowa State combining to make 26 3-pointers.

This variance definitely has to do with KU's worst 3PT% defense since 2015.
They are ranked 160th currently -- in 2015 they were a lowly 241st.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KU with a dominant win vs the top Kenpom team jumps to 13th.

Bartorvik has us in a place where I think we are better suited — 9th—projecting us a low 2 seed.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Coaches:

UConn
Purdue
North Carolina
KANSAS
Houston

Tennessee
Marquette
Arizona
Wisconsin
Duke
Auburn
Illinois
Baylor
Iowa State

Kentucky
Alabama
Dayton
Creighton
BYU
South Carolina
Utah State
FAU
Texas Tech
San Diego State
New Mexico

AP:

UConn
Purdue
North Carolina
KANSAS
Houston

Tennessee
Marquette
Arizona
Duke
Illinois
Wisconsin
Auburn
Baylor
Iowa St.

South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky
Dayton
Creighton
Florida Atlantic
BYU
Utah State
Texas Tech
San Diego State
New Mexico
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Down to 19 in Kenpom.
AdjO 46.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kenpom 17.
NET 16.