WTF Did House Republicans Do Today?

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

WTF Did House Republicans Do Today?

Post by Shirley »

Republican Accountability

Republican Rep. Mike Lawler: “This isn't conservative republicanism. This is stupidity. The idea that we’re going to shut the government down when we don’t control the Senate, we don’t control the White House...It’s a clown show...You keep running lunatics. You’re going to be in this position.”

Why, you ask, is Mike Lawler saying this? He won his seat by less than 1% in a district Biden won by 10 percentage points. Kevin McCarthy and his freak squad are on a loser track that will make Lawler unemployed.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Re: WTF Did House Republicans Do Today?

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:34 pm Republican Accountability

Republican Rep. Mike Lawler: “This isn't conservative republicanism. This is stupidity. The idea that we’re going to shut the government down when we don’t control the Senate, we don’t control the White House...It’s a clown show...You keep running lunatics. You’re going to be in this position.”

Why, you ask, is Mike Lawler saying this? He won his seat by less than 1% in a district Biden won by 10 percentage points. Kevin McCarthy and his freak squad are on a loser track that will make Lawler unemployed.
We’re seeing the R schism in real-time.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

There are Republicans and there are Conservatives. Increasingly, the twain shall not meet.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Why can't Biden and congressional democrats be less tribal and more collegial, more willing to reach across the isle, more bipartisan?

Make no mistake, if this happens, it will be all Biden's fault. If only, he weren't so old.

While Donald Trump acts as if the republican presidential primary is already over and begins moving away from his base and toward the center in preparation for the general election...

Sunday on MTP:

Former president Donald Trump blasted his top challenger in the GOP presidential primary for signing a six-week abortion ban, calling the law approved by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) earlier this year a “terrible thing,”

and his hard-line anarchist supporters in the house like Matt Gaetz do everything they can to shut the government down on the theory that doing so will somehow damage the Biden Admin, with torturing Speaker Kevin McCarthy as a bonus, it becomes evermore obvious with time that:

With only 11 days left for republicans to reach a deal with themselves...

These are not serious people.

This is not a serious political party.

Their death-wish could cause us all a lot of pain.

Republican infighting stalls spending bills in US House as shutdown looms

Republicans who control the U.S. House of Representatives failed to advance two spending bills on Tuesday, as party infighting threatened the ability of Congress to fund the government and avert a partial shutdown at the end of the month.

The House voted 214-212 to defeat a measure that would have opened debate on an $886 billion fiscal 2024 defense appropriations bill, with five hardline Republican conservatives joining Democrats to oppose their party's own measure.

Meanwhile, a larger division within House Speaker Kevin McCarthy's fractious Republican majority prevented lawmakers from agreeing on a short-term measure to keep federal agencies afloat after funding expires on Sept. 30...

Political brinkmanship has begun to attract the attention of Wall Street, with rating agency Fitch citing repeated down-to-the-wire negotiations that threaten the government's ability to pay its bills when it downgraded U.S. debt rating to AA+ from its top-notch AAA designation earlier this year.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Things like saying “a downgrade from AAA to AA+” just doesn’t bring out the scaries.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If republicans really care about the dollar losing its status as the world's reserve currency and all the advantages that come with it, like they've been pretending to recently, repeating this needless, self-own, injection of chaos and uncertainty into our body politic and causing the world to wonder WTF is going on over there undermining confidence in the US, this is one way to help make that happen.

It also hurts us financially, by increasing the cost of servicing our nation's debt:

The credit downgrade is one in a sequence of developments that could eventually lead investors to believe the U.S. is less likely to pay off its debt. In that case, investors would demand a higher interest rate for loans and, in turn, U.S. debt would become more costly.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We're like eight working days from a government shutdown, and the Rs can't stop playing with their Hunters long enough to even think about doing actual work.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:02 pm We're like eight working days from a government shutdown, and the Rs can't stop playing with their Hunters long enough to even think about doing actual work.
THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!! Granny Boebert is playing with some liberal's Hunter.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have 2.5+ years of experience with this current government. i am ok with it shutting down for awhile. i need the break from it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:18 pm i have 2.5+ years of experience with this current government. i am ok with it shutting down for awhile. i need the break from it.
I suppose we should not be surprised that you apparently have zero actual idea what a government shutdown really is, or what it really means and costs. You just like the cut of its jib.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:26 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:18 pm i have 2.5+ years of experience with this current government. i am ok with it shutting down for awhile. i need the break from it.
I suppose we should not be surprised that you apparently have zero actual idea what a government shutdown really is, or what it really means and costs. You just like the cut of its jib.
You just must not understand his sense of humor...
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:27 pm If republicans really care about the dollar losing its status as the world's reserve currency and all the advantages that come with it, like they've been pretending to recently, repeating this needless, self-own, injection of chaos and uncertainty into our body politic and causing the world to wonder WTF is going on over there undermining confidence in the US, this is one way to help make that happen.

It also hurts us financially, by increasing the cost of servicing our nation's debt:

The credit downgrade is one in a sequence of developments that could eventually lead investors to believe the U.S. is less likely to pay off its debt. In that case, investors would demand a higher interest rate for loans and, in turn, U.S. debt would become more costly.
The repugnicans really only have two plays left in their bag of tricks to appease the rubes going into 2024. Shut down the gubermint, and trolling the population with 4 more years of trumplethinskin taking us all on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride of Vengeance.

Maybe the gubermint shutdown is the lesser of two evils?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:57 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:27 pm If republicans really care about the dollar losing its status as the world's reserve currency and all the advantages that come with it, like they've been pretending to recently, repeating this needless, self-own, injection of chaos and uncertainty into our body politic and causing the world to wonder WTF is going on over there undermining confidence in the US, this is one way to help make that happen.

The repugnicans really only have two plays left in their bag of tricks to appease the rubes going into 2024. Shut down the gubermint, and trolling the population with 4 more years of trumplethinskin taking us all on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride of Vengeance.

Maybe the gubermint shutdown is the lesser of two evils?
What the Ds should be doing here is (1) pumping oxygen into the raging inferno at the center of the R schism, and (2) crafting an off-ramp that focuses on getting very boring, unsexy procedural wins - institutional safeguards against authoritarian and antidemocratic rules.

Why very boring, unsexy procedural wins? Because the loudmouth set won't dig in without a culture war hook (and, in any case, has too much dumbass disdain for institutions and rules to even understand what it's losing in taking the offramp).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: "The Family Values" Party. Because, as we've been told for decades,
God is a republican?

WARNING! THIS AUDIO MAY BE GRAPHIC FOR SOME VIEWERS, AND IS NOT INTENDED TO PROMOTE OR BRING OUT VIOLENCE IN ANYBODY.

Howard Stern's UNCENSORED Comments On Republican Congresswoman, Lauren Boebert
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Boebert and Greene are trash. I’m not defending them. I guess if you get a pass for The Squad, though, you should be willing to give the same.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:08 pm Boebert and Greene are trash. I’m not defending them. I guess if you get a pass for The Squad, though, you should be willing to give the same.
What did The Squad do that warrants your disdain?
Other than, the painfully obvious?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/02/28/l ... fle-theft/

He is facing four felony charges of criminal possession of ID documents of multiple victims, one count of conspiracy to commit a felony and “over 15 additional misdemeanor and petty offenses,” the department stated.

According to online jail records for the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, Tyler Boebert faces 22 charges, which also include contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this kid is in the little leagues. compared to that other politicians son that can't stay out of the news these days. and can't stop embarrassing his family and his nation.

this kid is beaver cleaver compared.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

senility is a bitch
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?