KU players who transferred

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: KU players who transferred

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:01 am Rumors were Rice wasn't happy last year at all and was expecting to come in and have minutes immediately. He didn't want to work hard in practice and apparently him and Kevin didn't get along because Kevin kept riding him and yelling at him and demanding that he stay after practice etc. Again, just Rumors, but, believable to me.
I could be wrong, but is it possible that you might be confusing the Marcus Adams Jr rumors with Mj Rice rumors. Similar rumor storylines. I never heard that about Mj, but maybe I missed them.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:32 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:48 am next years roster will look nothing like we think it will today. 2-3-4-5 kids will hit the portal. 2-3-4-5 kids will transfer in thru the portal. in coming freshman will back out.

haven't you people learned anything. progress.
That's true. Unless they feel in line for opportunity

I'm hoping furphy and McDowell stick around long term

Is elmarko a pro prospect at the end of the season? Will he be back
Furphy I think will absolutely stay at KU.

McDowell? Hard to say. He's going to be an attractive asset to a lesser program ($$$) and is still going to be fighting for opportunity next season at KU.

Elmarko would not make it in the NBA presently. He can't shoot. He should be back for multiple years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:01 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am

It's cause these kids are turned into spoiled brats from an early age. Once they are recognized as being "talented" the world starts to coddle them
I'm sure that's part of it.

Part of it is a misguided idea about how the path to the NBA is supposed to look. A lot of them are also misguided that they even have a path to the NBA. Rice thought he was an NBA player. And after 1.5 years in college he doesn't even look like an all conference NCAA player. He was in a rush. Instead of taking the Och Jalen CB route, he thought it was situation holding him back rather than skill. He appears to have been wrong. Now he'll still spend 4 years in college, but he'll do so at a far inferior program with far inferior player development. It quite literally may have cost him any chance at the NBA.
I find it laughable, and sad, for someone (this is not directed at you!) to put this on the players, as coddled spoiled brats. I think the truth is much bleaker than that - high level players (pro prospects) disproportionately tend to come from disadvantaged circumstances, and are looked at, from very early ages, as meal tickets. By not just their families, but by an entire cottage industry of exploiters and hangers-on.

I absolutely believe - and I think I'm now echoing what you are saying - that the players and their families have unrealistically optimistic outlooks on the likelihood of any given guy making it. And those outsized expectations lead to bad decisions. Over and over they do.

But to put this on the players, even when they're acting like coddled spoiled brats, in my opinion fairly-disgustingly misrepresents how exactly this is all working.
Fucking ugh.
Sigh.
Meh.

Other face palm related things here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Elmarko has been on at least some draft boreds.

But yea, at this point he’d have to catch fire to leave after one season.

Which, tho sort of paradoxical, is what we fans should hope for.

Cuz Elmarko catching fire would bring this team to a whole nother level
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i do not hope for elmarko to leave after one season.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:48 am Elmarko has been on at least some draft boreds.

Do you realize how unrealistic that is to expect him to "catch fire" in some way that would result in him being "drafted"?... He has no chance to be drafted after this season. He was "on a draft board" (you mean "mock draft") in the preseason solely because he was a Bill Self recruited freshman to KU.

This team's hopes and aspirations do not rest on Elmarko "catching fire", whatever that means. No matter how badly you want it to, for whatever reason.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:43 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:48 am Elmarko has been on at least some draft boreds.

Do you realize how unrealistic that is to expect him to "catch fire" in some way that would result in him being "drafted"?... He has no chance to be drafted after this season. He was "on a draft board" (you mean "mock draft") in the preseason solely because he was a Bill Self recruited freshman to KU.

This team's hopes and aspirations do not rest on Elmarko "catching fire", whatever that means. No matter how badly you want it to, for whatever reason.
I agree with you. I mean, yes, we're not losing many games he shoots 4-6 from 3 in. So, if that's "catching fire," then sure I guess.

He's coming along. He does things near the bucket that make you think he could be a strong attacking guard in time. He has a nice rhythm to his midrange game. He takes the right 3s. He's unselfish without being passive, he tries, he's obviously not an idiot.

It'll come, if he stays with it.

But let's be honest, he's made fewer than ten WOW plays and it's January. I'd love for the light to come on and stay on this year, but history tells us it won't - which is fine!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:39 pm

I agree with you. I mean, yes, we're not losing many games he shoots 4-6 from 3 in. So, if that's "catching fire," then sure I guess.

He's coming along. He does things near the bucket that make you think he could be a strong attacking guard in time. He has a nice rhythm to his midrange game. He takes the right 3s. He's unselfish without being passive, he tries, he's obviously not an idiot.

But let's be honest, he's made fewer than ten WOW plays and it's January. I'd love for the light to come on and stay on this year, but history tells us it won't - which is fine!
I really like Elmarko, I hope my comments don't make it seem otherwise.

But the NBA is a whole different level. He's not there. No reasonable person has watched him this year and thought he looked like someone who was capable of being on an NBA roster at this time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I should clarify - I don’t want Elmarko to leave after this year unless he does catch fire, in a way that gets scouts drooling and makes him shoot up draft boreds to get a first round call.

But if it’s a matter of him leaving just cuz he thinks he’s ready but regardless of whether he’s actually ready, then no thanks.

Maybe Elmarko will be that case study of a kid with some pro potential but doesn’t leave cuz of NIL. Wouldn’t be the end of the world
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:48 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:39 pm

I really like Elmarko, I hope my comments don't make it seem otherwise.

But the NBA is a whole different level. He's not there. No reasonable person has watched him this year and thought he looked like someone who was capable of being on an NBA roster at this time.
I didn't think you were being negative. Just rational.

The fact is that he doesn't really play well enough yet to show anyone whether he does or doesn't have even average NBA guard functional athleticism. And unless he really takes a huge leap forward with his outside shooting, he's not going to make it if he's NOT at least an average NBA athlete.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

What could Elmarko do to become a first round pick this year? I don't think it's even remotely reasonable to think that's a possible outcome.

Elmarko will develop nicely at KU. I have never got the impression that he thought he was going to have a decision to make after this year.

He seems to have bought in and the way things transpired this year have resulted in him being a first year starter which was far from a guarantee in the summer. I think he is happy at KU and will enjoy the stability of playing next to DH and Kj next year (and hopefully HD)..
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:01 am

I'm sure that's part of it.

Part of it is a misguided idea about how the path to the NBA is supposed to look. A lot of them are also misguided that they even have a path to the NBA. Rice thought he was an NBA player. And after 1.5 years in college he doesn't even look like an all conference NCAA player. He was in a rush. Instead of taking the Och Jalen CB route, he thought it was situation holding him back rather than skill. He appears to have been wrong. Now he'll still spend 4 years in college, but he'll do so at a far inferior program with far inferior player development. It quite literally may have cost him any chance at the NBA.
I find it laughable, and sad, for someone (this is not directed at you!) to put this on the players, as coddled spoiled brats. I think the truth is much bleaker than that - high level players (pro prospects) disproportionately tend to come from disadvantaged circumstances, and are looked at, from very early ages, as meal tickets. By not just their families, but by an entire cottage industry of exploiters and hangers-on.

I absolutely believe - and I think I'm now echoing what you are saying - that the players and their families have unrealistically optimistic outlooks on the likelihood of any given guy making it. And those outsized expectations lead to bad decisions. Over and over they do.

But to put this on the players, even when they're acting like coddled spoiled brats, in my opinion fairly-disgustingly misrepresents how exactly this is all working.
Fucking ugh.
Sigh.
Meh.

Other face palm related things here.
Care to elaborate?

Wait, maybe it’s better not to
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

context clues and I have faith you can figure it out.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Elmarko being a late 1st rd pick isn't unfathomable. The nba drafts off potential. 6'4 athletic point guards are always desirable
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm Elmarko being a late 1st rd pick isn't unfathomable. The nba drafts off potential. 6'4 athletic point guards are always desirable
I want Jackson to succeed. Here and at the next level.

But.

1 - We list him at 6'3" (which is what he was listed at on the McD's AA roster). That doesn't bode well for him even being THAT tall (and this matters, a lot, because guarding multiple spots is a huge deal).

2 - Is he athletic? He hasn't played athletic.

3 - Is he a point guard? He hasn't played like a point guard.

Nothing he's done here, so far, says he's more than a small 2 that is, by NBA standards, an average or below-average basketball athlete and shooter.

"Unfathomable" is a big word.

But it's a pretty, pretty narrow fathoming.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm Elmarko being a late 1st rd pick isn't unfathomable. The nba drafts off potential. 6'4 athletic point guards are always desirable
Maybe I just haven't seen anything out of Elmarko that says he is NBA level athletic yet. He doesn't seem to run faster, jump higher or move quicker than the college level athletes he's going against. I would be stunned to see him get drafted in the first round this year (or the second round for that matter). Maybe in a few years.

Looking at the last handful of NBA drafts, I don't see many SGs that scored just 6 ppg on 37% fg% getting drafted based solely on their athletic potential. The reality is that NBA teams seem to draft scoring guards who have proven they can score. Andre Jackson last year from UConn went earlyish 2nd round and might be quasi comparable but he was a team captain on a national title winner as a junior.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:54 am context clues and I have faith you can figure it out.
For someone who has otherwise put so much effort toward dissing my ability to “figure it out,” um, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt this time around.

But, I read fish’s post as criticism of an exploitative system, more so than criticism of the individuals within that system who are most prone to being exploited…even if those individuals might try to exploit for their own gain too.

So for pdub to respond with various facepalms almost makes pdub sound like he really is upset with a bunch of “amatuer” individuals not accepting their roles as the exploited ones in a system making the money, and more to the point, making the money for everyone else in the system EXCEPT for themselves.

But I don’t wanna speak for pdub.

Tho, again, at the same time I also kinda hesitate to wanna hear pdub elaborate.
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Jesus Christ. congrats on ruining yet another thread.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hd seems very taken advantage of.

in this day and age. the d-1 athlete at the power conf level. has one of the best gigs in America.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

even those who don’t live in michigan?

wow
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?