KU players who transferred

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: KU players who transferred

Post by MICHHAWK »

next years roster will look nothing like we think it will today. 2-3-4-5 kids will hit the portal. 2-3-4-5 kids will transfer in thru the portal. in coming freshman will back out.

haven't you people learned anything. progress.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:48 am next years roster will look nothing like we think it will today. 2-3-4-5 kids will hit the portal. 2-3-4-5 kids will transfer in thru the portal. in coming freshman will back out.

I think the main pieces will look like

DH
Kj
HD

After that? You're right. Who knows. I didn't expect to lose Pettiford Zuby or Udeh last year.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Flory didn't sign on to be any anyone's back up
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I was not aware that Hunter coming back was even on the radar.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NIL and the portal haven’t changed my view on kids that are entitled and don’t want to compete for minutes

fuck ‘em…we’ll keep winning with or without them
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:01 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 am When they (zuby and udeh) left I was not happy. I liked them both a lot. After seeing how poorly they have done it makes me think they'd probably have continued to be recruited over at KU. Especially with the chance that HD comes back again next year.

At this point MJ Rice is the one I wish had stayed...but I think he felt like he was being recruited over as well. It's strange that guys with so called NBA aspirations are hesitant to be somewhere that they have to earn their minutes.
It's cause these kids are turned into spoiled brats from an early age. Once they are recognized as being "talented" the world starts to coddle them
I'm sure that's part of it.

Part of it is a misguided idea about how the path to the NBA is supposed to look. A lot of them are also misguided that they even have a path to the NBA. Rice thought he was an NBA player. And after 1.5 years in college he doesn't even look like an all conference NCAA player. He was in a rush. Instead of taking the Och Jalen CB route, he thought it was situation holding him back rather than skill. He appears to have been wrong. Now he'll still spend 4 years in college, but he'll do so at a far inferior program with far inferior player development. It quite literally may have cost him any chance at the NBA.
I find it laughable, and sad, for someone (this is not directed at you!) to put this on the players, as coddled spoiled brats. I think the truth is much bleaker than that - high level players (pro prospects) disproportionately tend to come from disadvantaged circumstances, and are looked at, from very early ages, as meal tickets. By not just their families, but by an entire cottage industry of exploiters and hangers-on.

I absolutely believe - and I think I'm now echoing what you are saying - that the players and their families have unrealistically optimistic outlooks on the likelihood of any given guy making it. And those outsized expectations lead to bad decisions. Over and over they do.

But to put this on the players, even when they're acting like coddled spoiled brats, in my opinion fairly-disgustingly misrepresents how exactly this is all working.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:34 am I was not aware that Hunter coming back was even on the radar.
For $2mil a year, what better option does he have?

$2mil for 40ish games? Or maybe if he's lucky half that to sit on an NBA bench for 80+ games?

Seems like a no brainer. And he will still have the opportunity to improve so that his NBA chances elevate.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:34 am I was not aware that Hunter coming back was even on the radar.
For $2mil a year, what better option does he have?

$2mil for 40ish games? Or maybe if he's lucky half that to sit on an NBA bench for 80+ games?

Seems like a no brainer. And he will still have the opportunity to improve so that his NBA chances elevate.
Hey, you know my opinion. I'd love it and think it's great. And smart.

I'm just saying I didn't even know it was something to even think about.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 am When they (zuby and udeh) left I was not happy. I liked them both a lot. After seeing how poorly they have done it makes me think they'd probably have continued to be recruited over at KU. Especially with the chance that HD comes back again next year.

At this point MJ Rice is the one I wish had stayed...but I think he felt like he was being recruited over as well. It's strange that guys with so called NBA aspirations are hesitant to be somewhere that they have to earn their minutes.
I think more of it is that we have Bill Self and they don't. Self's ability to develop players over time appears to be pretty elite. Udeh was shortsighted in bailing on KU and his development will suffer for it. Rice might just be a knucklehead, though.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am

It's cause these kids are turned into spoiled brats from an early age. Once they are recognized as being "talented" the world starts to coddle them

Part of it is a misguided idea about how the path to the NBA is supposed to look. A lot of them are also misguided that they even have a path to the NBA. Rice thought he was an NBA player. And after 1.5 years in college he doesn't even look like an all conference NCAA player. He was in a rush. Instead of taking the Och Jalen CB route, he thought it was situation holding him back rather than skill. He appears to have been wrong. Now he'll still spend 4 years in college, but he'll do so at a far inferior program with far inferior player development. It quite literally may have cost him any chance at the NBA.
I find it laughable, and sad, for someone (this is not directed at you!) to put this on the players, as coddled spoiled brats. I think the truth is much bleaker than that - high level players (pro prospects) disproportionately tend to come from disadvantaged circumstances, and are looked at, from very early ages, as meal tickets. By not just their families, but by an entire cottage industry of exploiters and hangers-on.

I absolutely believe - and I think I'm now echoing what you are saying - that the players and their families have unrealistically optimistic outlooks on the likelihood of any given guy making it. And those outsized expectations lead to bad decisions. Over and over they do.

But to put this on the players, even when they're acting like coddled spoiled brats, in my opinion fairly-disgustingly misrepresents how exactly this is all working.
both of those takes can be correct.

I get what you're saying for sure....

but, some if them are most definetelt entitled and coddled spoiled brats. that's just a fact. Not all of them are coming up out the ghetto trying to bring their family up out of a bad situation. To assume that for all situations pretty disgustingly misrepresents the situation.

Some of these kids have NBA family members....I dont think they're hurting, some of them have lawyers and doctors and engineers for parents. I thinknits pretty ugly to lump all star athletes and cry baby athletes into the same soup.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:51 am

I think more of it is that we have Bill Self and they don't. Self's ability to develop players over time appears to be pretty elite. Udeh was shortsighted in bailing on KU and his development will suffer for it. Rice might just be a knucklehead, though.
And you're at the heart of the matter: given Bill's track record, I think leaving is a pretty shortsighted/knucklehead move.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:51 am

Hard to say with Rice. He didn’t seem like a lockerroom issue last season. No off court issues that I remember. I think he just thought the grass would be greener, and maybe it will? It seems like maybe he's been battling injury issues again because he hasn't played in all of their games.

I do wonder if looking back Mj Rice wishes he'd have stayed at KU after seeing how it has played out at his new school and seeing how things played out at KU (Timberlake isn't very good, and Arterio isn't even here). He'd definitely be in the rotation and possibly even starting over Elmarko.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the system now favors the athlete.

at this point. they got no one to blame but themselves. if they make bad decisions. it's on them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am

both of those takes can be correct.

I get what you're saying for sure....

but, some if them are most definetelt entitled and coddled spoiled brats. that's just a fact. Not all of them are coming up out the ghetto trying to bring their family up out of a bad situation. To assume that for all situations pretty disgustingly misrepresents the situation.

Some of these kids have NBA family members....I dont think they're hurting, some of them have lawyers and doctors and engineers for parents. I thinknits pretty ugly to lump all star athletes and cry baby athletes into the same soup.
Of course you're right - but I think examples of kids from privileged backgrounds are far, far less common than kids from disadvantaged ones. And even the privileged ones often come with a different set of parent/coach issues (hi, Micah).

My point is that, when we're talking about 17-19 year olds who act like coddled, spoiled brats...I'm inclined to put it more on the people surrounding them than to assume it's a fundamental attribute of the kid.

Which I think is why Bill has had so much success by NOT promising minutes or roles. I think it helps weed out problems (which is not to say some problems slip through - of course they do).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Rumors were Rice wasn't happy last year at all and was expecting to come in and have minutes immediately. He didn't want to work hard in practice and apparently him and Kevin didn't get along because Kevin kept riding him and yelling at him and demanding that he stay after practice etc. Again, just Rumors, but, believable to me.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

these kids can get an education(if they want one). they are getting paid. they get all the p*$$y they can handle.

the power conf d-1 athlete has just about the best job.

if they can't handle it. that's on them.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:01 am Rumors were Rice wasn't happy last year at all and was expecting to come in and have minutes immediately. He didn't want to work hard in practice and apparently him and Kevin didn't get along because Kevin kept riding him and yelling at him and demanding that he stay after practice etc. Again, just Rumors, but, believable to me.
Rumor is Marcus Adam's Jr got into it with mccullar and may have played a part with him flaking out. These kids are soft

Can't handle an upperclassmen pushing them to be better
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:48 am next years roster will look nothing like we think it will today. 2-3-4-5 kids will hit the portal. 2-3-4-5 kids will transfer in thru the portal. in coming freshman will back out.

That's true. Unless they feel in line for opportunity

I'm hoping furphy and McDowell stick around long term

Is elmarko a pro prospect at the end of the season? Will he be back
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

millennials are soft. now we're finding how soft the kids are that are raised by millennials.