KU players who transferred

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

KU players who transferred

Post by ousdahl »

another new hoops thread!

do we have a thread to discuss all the recently departed transfers from KU?

There's a lot, and I imagine I'm not the only one who might take some interest in still paying some attention to them here and there, at least for the sake of message bored discussions.

anywho, MJ Rice apparently is stepping away from basketball for personal reasons? But says his commitment to NC State remains.

he also changed his insta profile pic to Scarface
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: KU players who transferred

Post by AlOerter »

Scarface? Anyway, Udeh looks like the only one we'll be facing on the court this season.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

wonder how Marcus Adams is liking the magic underwear and hat tricks at BYU?
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

TDub wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:01 pm wonder how Marcus Adams is liking the magic underwear and hat tricks at BYU?
Didn't realize he ended up at BYU. Lived in Utah for short while. There were lots of underwear jokes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

been meaning to update!

Pettiford: 9.8 points 2.2 boreds 3.7 assists. 37% 3pt on 2.2 attempts. 1.2 TOs in 29 mpg (was at 1.1 TOs in 12mpg last year)

Yes: 6.2 points 2 boreds 1.8 ast. Has played 25 mpg and started all 6 games he's played in tho he's only played in 6 games so maybe he's been hurt or something

Cuffe: 3.8 points 1.2 boreds .5 assists. 11mpg but has not started.

Rice: Only played 5 games but 5.6ppg and 2.2 boards in 11 minutes

Udeh: started all 13 games but only 15mpg. 4.4ppg and 5.5 rpg. We'll see him again this weekend!

Cam: started 6 of 13 games, getting 22mpg. 7.2 points 5.5 boreds 2.8 dimes, .167 3pt on 1.4 attempts. (Was 1-1 from deep for us last year, shot 42% at Jacksonville State as a freshy and IIRC 45% at Mizzou St)

Zuby: no starts but 3.8 and 3.5 in 10mpg for ol' Ricky P.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Zuby and Ernest should have stayed.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:56 pm Zuby and Ernest should have stayed.
Wiser hoops mine than mine have disagreed, but I thought Ernest had big-time potential. Like, a Thomas Robinson career arc.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:04 pm
Wiser hoops mine than mine have disagreed, but I thought Ernest had big-time potential. Like, a Thomas Robinson career arc.
I think he had the potential for that outcome.

But, Thomas was way more mentally tough, faced adversity (boy, did he ever) and didn't back away from it, or run away from it. Just worked his ass off until he was the man.

(it also should be, begrudgingly noted that transferring was more difficult then and the player actually had to give up something to leave)
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

When they (zuby and udeh) left I was not happy. I liked them both a lot. After seeing how poorly they have done it makes me think they'd probably have continued to be recruited over at KU. Especially with the chance that HD comes back again next year.

At this point MJ Rice is the one I wish had stayed...but I think he felt like he was being recruited over as well. It's strange that guys with so called NBA aspirations are hesitant to be somewhere that they have to earn their minutes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:04 pm
I think he had the potential for that outcome.

But, Thomas was way more mentally tough, faced adversity (boy, did he ever) and didn't back away from it, or run away from it. Just worked his ass off until he was the man.

(it also should be, begrudgingly noted that transferring was more difficult then and the player actually had to give up something to leave)
Well noted. It’s a huge problem.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I wish.

Though hunter and Braun have grown on me
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 am When they (zuby and udeh) left I was not happy. I liked them both a lot. After seeing how poorly they have done it makes me think they'd probably have continued to be recruited over at KU. Especially with the chance that HD comes back again next year.

At this point MJ Rice is the one I wish had stayed...but I think he felt like he was being recruited over as well. It's strange that guys with so called NBA aspirations are hesitant to be somewhere that they have to earn their minutes.
It's cause these kids are turned into spoiled brats from an early age. Once they are recognized as being "talented" the world starts to coddle them
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:56 am
I wish.

Though hunter and Braun have grown on me
HD is so much better than I expected. And the fact he is still nowhere to be seen on NBA draft boards makes me think there is a decent chance we get him again next year.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 am When they (zuby and udeh) left I was not happy. I liked them both a lot. After seeing how poorly they have done it makes me think they'd probably have continued to be recruited over at KU. Especially with the chance that HD comes back again next year.

It's cause these kids are turned into spoiled brats from an early age. Once they are recognized as being "talented" the world starts to coddle them
I'm sure that's part of it.

Part of it is a misguided idea about how the path to the NBA is supposed to look. A lot of them are also misguided that they even have a path to the NBA. Rice thought he was an NBA player. And after 1.5 years in college he doesn't even look like an all conference NCAA player. He was in a rush. Instead of taking the Och Jalen CB route, he thought it was situation holding him back rather than skill. He appears to have been wrong. Now he'll still spend 4 years in college, but he'll do so at a far inferior program with far inferior player development. It quite literally may have cost him any chance at the NBA.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Zuby is the disappointing story. Why transfer elsewhere to play 10 minutes a game.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think there’s a good chance Hunter’s back next year, which is mostly cuz of NIL. This is prob the highest level hoops he’ll get to play, and now that he can actually sniff his fair market value about it too.

But next year we got Flory coming in too. If he can be backup to Hunter as a change-of-pace big, just running the floor and dunking everything freshman SDS style, that’s a monster piece to have by March.

Big Ern struck me as more of a Dok type of player, big and strong and moves well but raw. Zuby struck me as a Landen Lucas with more upside. But if neither wanted to stick around, their looss.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

FWIW Parker Braun at 3.3ppg, 76%fg, 1.8 boreds, .8 blocks in 8.5mpg.

That’s not far off from Ern/Zuby numbers, and prob about where Ern or Zuby would have been for this team anyway
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:20 am FWIW Parker Braun at 3.3ppg, 76%fg, 1.8 boreds, .8 blocks in 8.5mpg.

That’s not far off from Ern/Zuby numbers, and prob about where Ern or Zuby would have been for this team anyway
The main difference being that PB has the defensive versatility to play next to HD if needed....and PB is also not unhappy in a small role. Udeh and Zuby likely wanted more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still would rather Udeh and Zuby even if we weren’t as good this particular season. I wanted to see them as upperclassmen.

Clearly TCU doesn’t know how to utilize Udeh ( when have they had a good big ) if he’s doing the same thing as last season.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:16 am I think there’s a good chance Hunter’s back next year, which is mostly cuz of NIL. This is prob the highest level hoops he’ll get to play, and now that he can actually sniff his fair market value about it too.

But next year we got Flory coming in too. If he can be backup to Hunter as a change-of-pace big, just running the floor and dunking everything freshman SDS style, that’s a monster piece to have by March.

Big Ern struck me as more of a Dok type of player, big and strong and moves well but raw. Zuby struck me as a Landen Lucas with more upside. But if neither wanted to stick around, their looss.
If HD comes back I do not expect Flory to come to KU to be a backup. I think he expects to be a 1 and done.