KU players who transferred

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: KU players who transferred

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:54 am context clues and I have faith you can figure it out.
If he was new here ous’s question/comment would be a fair one. He’s not so it’s not.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm Elmarko being a late 1st rd pick isn't unfathomable. The nba drafts off potential. 6'4 athletic point guards are always desirable
I want Jackson to succeed. Here and at the next level.

But.

1 - We list him at 6'3" (which is what he was listed at on the McD's AA roster). That doesn't bode well for him even being THAT tall (and this matters, a lot, because guarding multiple spots is a huge deal).

2 - Is he athletic? He hasn't played athletic.

3 - Is he a point guard? He hasn't played like a point guard.

Nothing he's done here, so far, says he's more than a small 2 that is, by NBA standards, an average or below-average basketball athlete and shooter.

"Unfathomable" is a big word.

But it's a pretty, pretty narrow fathoming.
To be clear, we are just talking about this upcoming draft and not any future draft…bc I would bet money he will go first round if he leaves after his junior year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm Elmarko being a late 1st rd pick isn't unfathomable. The nba drafts off potential. 6'4 athletic point guards are always desirable
I want Jackson to succeed. Here and at the next level.

But.

1 - We list him at 6'3" (which is what he was listed at on the McD's AA roster). That doesn't bode well for him even being THAT tall (and this matters, a lot, because guarding multiple spots is a huge deal).

2 - Is he athletic? He hasn't played athletic.

3 - Is he a point guard? He hasn't played like a point guard.

Nothing he's done here, so far, says he's more than a small 2 that is, by NBA standards, an average or below-average basketball athlete and shooter.

"Unfathomable" is a big word.

But it's a pretty, pretty narrow fathoming.
To be clear, we are just talking about this upcoming draft and not any future draft…bc I would bet money he will go first round if he leaves after his junior year.
Yes, I agree.

I'm not saying he IS, and will forever BE, an undersized, under-athletic, average-shooting 2.

I'm just saying that that's all he's put on tape so far.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Junior and/or Senior Elmarko should be elite.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Junior Elmarko should be Elmarko with the Ferrari keys. Which, yes, will be his best shot at campaigning for an NBA gig.

And I dunno if he’s under-athletic, even so far.

That last game he had back-to-back fast break buckets - an acrobatic layup then a dunk - that both displayed above average athleticism, I thought.

But yea, it’s mostly just been flashes so far
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

we do this dance damn near yearly with freshmen.

He's gonna figure it out and he's gonna be very good. Id say he's ahead of where most freshman are trying to learn what Self wants and still be able to feel loose enough to contribute.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:41 pm That last game he had back-to-back fast break buckets - an acrobatic layup then a dunk - that both displayed above average athleticism, I thought.
You should watch more NBA. He does not have above average athleticism on an NBA level. Not very many kids his age do. But his body can/will change a lot if he stays at KU and works hard. Building strength will be a big part of his progress towards becoming an NBA player.

He has a lot of potential. He is years away from unlocking that potential that is at an NBA levl and it's far from guaranteed to be attained without handwork and a little luck. Hopefully he shows some patience and lets Self & Co. do what they've proven they are capable of doing if given multiple years with talented players.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

*6'3 point guard. He projects as a point guard next level. And he is athletic don't be silly. He's blended in and hasn't been ultra aggressive (to the benefit of the team) but is slowly started to showcase it

Mario Chalmers and devonte Graham also played the "2" here, Chalmers his whole career and devonte for 3 seasons next to Mason but were nba point guards. Elmarko won't be the 1 as long as Harris is here but still projects as an nba pg prospect

I don't think elmarko should leave after 1 season
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Elmarko might have entered college at the perfect time with nil changes. Nil money might entice prospects like him to stick around in college an extra season or 2. Get paid to play college ball and develop and turn pro when they are actually READY to be an nba player not just an nba prospect drafted on tools/potential
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:52 pm we do this dance damn near yearly with freshmen.

He's gonna figure it out and he's gonna be very good. Id say he's ahead of where most freshman are trying to learn what Self wants and still be able to feel loose enough to contribute.
Yes. Compare him to other freshman guards, elmarko is figuring things out. I think he shows rapid improvement the rest the season. He's learning how to efficiently be productive within selfs system

Elmarko is the x factor for taking this team to an extra level
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:52 am *6'3 point guard. He projects as a point guard next level. And he is athletic don't be silly. He's blended in and hasn't been ultra aggressive (to the benefit of the team) but is slowly started to showcase it

Mario Chalmers and devonte Graham also played the "2" here, Chalmers his whole career and devonte for 3 seasons next to Mason but were nba point guards. Elmarko won't be the 1 as long as Harris is here but still projects as an nba pg prospect

In my opinion he doesn't project as anything "at the next level" right now. He isn't even a top 50 player at the college level yet. History says he will be if he stays at KU for 3 or 4 years.

Chalmers and Graham could both shoot. Elmarko can't, at least not yet.

Everyone who plays basketball at KU is "athletic".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:00 am
randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:52 am *6'3 point guard. He projects as a point guard next level. And he is athletic don't be silly. He's blended in and hasn't been ultra aggressive (to the benefit of the team) but is slowly started to showcase it

In my opinion he doesn't project as anything "at the next level" right now. He isn't even a top 50 player at the college level yet. History says he will be if he stays at KU for 3 or 4 years.

Chalmers and Graham could both shoot. Elmarko can't, at least not yet.

Everyone who plays basketball at KU is "athletic".
even Timberlake?

speaking of athletic. No matter how manybgamesI watch. KJ does something damn near every game that makes me go...what the fuck? holy shitt that kid is a freak athlete.

I remember thinking Kenny Gregory could fly. KJ is like that, but...more.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, everyone who plays basketball at KU is athletic just by the fact they are playing college basketball.
But we're using athletic here on a curve.
Perry Ellis was not athletic on this curve.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually, Timberlake has shown some hops.

But yea I dunno if overall he moves like you expect an “athletic” D1 guard to move
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s the least athletic player we’ve had? At least had in a big role

Face Ass?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ostertag.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hunter?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, I was thinking Hunter Mickelson for Self era.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mickelson barely played tho, except for like starting those games in Korea

Face Ass started two whole seasons, except for that one he got recruited over
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The other Hunter isn't much of an athlete, either.

Guards-wise, for guys who played major roles, Chalmers wasn't really very athletic (by these standards obviously).