KU players who transferred

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: KU players who transferred

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:25 am But we're using athletic here on a curve.
Perry Ellis was not athletic on this curve.
Fair and true....

And on the NBA curve Elmarko has not shown above average athleticism.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hunter Dick isn’t much of an athlete, but he’s at least skilled, and yuge
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

but, that wasn't the question.

the question was athleticism not size or skill.
Last edited by TDub on Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Brady was an awfully good defender for someone Qusdahl claims isn't athletic.

Are we only talking about jumping high?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 am
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:00 am
randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:52 am *6'3 point guard. He projects as a point guard next level. And he is athletic don't be silly. He's blended in and hasn't been ultra aggressive (to the benefit of the team) but is slowly started to showcase it

Mario Chalmers and devonte Graham also played the "2" here, Chalmers his whole career and devonte for 3 seasons next to Mason but were nba point guards. Elmarko won't be the 1 as long as Harris is here but still projects as an nba pg prospect

I don't think elmarko should leave after 1 season
In my opinion he doesn't project as anything "at the next level" right now. He isn't even a top 50 player at the college level yet. History says he will be if he stays at KU for 3 or 4 years.

Chalmers and Graham could both shoot. Elmarko can't, at least not yet.

Everyone who plays basketball at KU is "athletic".
even Timberlake?

speaking of athletic. No matter how manybgamesI watch. KJ does something damn near every game that makes me go...what the fuck? holy shitt that kid is a freak athlete.

I remember thinking Kenny Gregory could fly. KJ is like that, but...more.
KJ's a freak among freaks. You can't really see it on TV very well, but he has a massive core (thighs and glutes). He looks like a pogo-stick type (and lord knows he's bouncy), but he's far sturdier than he looks.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am Brady was an awfully good defender for someone Qusdahl claims isn't athletic.

Are we only talking about jumping high?
but he was white and not well liked and bot enough tattoos..so...for Q, whose bball IQ I believe is garnered solely by reading BofHs (terrible) posts....that = not athletic.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If the BUD sees it ( thighs and glutes ) then we should be able see it.
Dude is as they say, yoked.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 am

In my opinion he doesn't project as anything "at the next level" right now. He isn't even a top 50 player at the college level yet. History says he will be if he stays at KU for 3 or 4 years.

even Timberlake?

speaking of athletic. No matter how manybgamesI watch. KJ does something damn near every game that makes me go...what the fuck? holy shitt that kid is a freak athlete.

I remember thinking Kenny Gregory could fly. KJ is like that, but...more.
KJ's a freak among freaks. You can't really see it on TV very well, but he has a massive core (thighs and glutes). He looks like a pogo-stick type (and lord knows he's bouncy), but he's far sturdier than he looks.
I haven't had the chance to see him in person but he looms pretty damn sturdy.

Though my knees often reflexively cringe at the thought of landing from that high.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's fair to say Brady graded lower on the athletic scale than the average starter here though.
A more athletic player on that team who was white would be Tyrel Reed.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:52 am *6'3 point guard. He projects as a point guard next level. And he is athletic don't be silly. He's blended in and hasn't been ultra aggressive (to the benefit of the team) but is slowly started to showcase it

Mario Chalmers and devonte Graham also played the "2" here, Chalmers his whole career and devonte for 3 seasons next to Mason but were nba point guards. Elmarko won't be the 1 as long as Harris is here but still projects as an nba pg prospect

I don't think elmarko should leave after 1 season

I wouldn't describe dajuan or hunter as "athletic" at this level
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:37 am The other Hunter isn't much of an athlete, either.

Guards-wise, for guys who played major roles, Chalmers wasn't really very athletic (by these standards obviously).
The fuck? Chalmers was very athletic lol
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

As far as elmarko and his pro potential is concerned, I think all of us agree he should stick around another year or 2. His freshman season hasn't been anything to marvel at (but good for a freshman guard, especially one trying to fit in with upperclassmen)

But every draft, there are guys who get drafted that had very "eh" freshman seasons. The nba drafts on potential. You draft a freshman who's 19 late 1st round. And you get him for at least 5 years if you like his development. 4 year rookie deal with team options. Then they can sign a new contract with any team, which you have the right to match and keep the player you drafted, or they can sign a 1 year and become unrestricted after year 5.

So you draft a 19 year old with potential, and your franchise can keep him for potentially 8 years just based on the 4 year rookie deal, and then extending or matching a 4 year contract on top of that

That is why the nba drafts on potentially. You draft a kid that's about 20 and you can lock him up til about 30
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:37 am The other Hunter isn't much of an athlete, either.

Guards-wise, for guys who played major roles, Chalmers wasn't really very athletic (by these standards obviously).
The fuck? Chalmers was very athletic lol
He was not. One putback dunk against Georgia Tech doesn't make it so. There's a reason he didn't even participate in athletic testing in the run-up to the draft.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:55 am But every draft, there are guys who get drafted that had very "eh" freshman seasons. The nba drafts on potential.
Yup. Every year. And Elmarko isn't going to be one of them this year.

His only current NBA attribute is being 6'3 (on paper), which means very little in today's NBA. His body style is a dime a dozen in the league. We're talking about a league where Gradey Dick can't get on the floor. Devon Dotson can't consistently stay on a roster. Devonte Graham is a DNP CD almost nightly.

Elmarko simply hasn't shown anything other than he is the size of some NBA PGs.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:58 am
randylahey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:55 am But every draft, there are guys who get drafted that had very "eh" freshman seasons. The nba drafts on potential.
Yup. Every year. And Elmarko isn't going to be one of them this year.

His only current NBA attribute is being 6'3 (on paper), which means very little in today's NBA. His body style is a dime a dozen in the league. We're talking about a league where Gradey Dick can't get on the floor. Devon Dotson can't consistently stay on a roster. Devonte Graham is a DNP CD almost nightly.

Elmarko simply hasn't shown anything other than he is the size of some NBA PGs.
Correct. No one is saying his mom is fat, or that he molests collies. It is just true that he has put very little on tape this year that would support being drafted at all.

He might still go. I hope he doesn't.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The only reason we are talking about him like this is because of a meaningless HS ranking.

To be clear: I really like Elmarko. He's had a great attitude this year despite likely feeling like he is underachieving his personal expectations. He has improved on defense and has found ways to fit in on offense with our vets. He is at least a year or 2 away from this being a realistic convo to have.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we are talking about this because the kids have played one game since Christmas. and we are bored to death waiting for some action.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:19 am we are talking about this because the kids have played one game since Christmas. and we are bored to death waiting for some action.
Yes.

And the only other option is discussing wars with Qusdahl.

I'll take this 6 days a week and twice on Fridays.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:09 am The only reason we are talking about him like this is because of a meaningless HS ranking.

To be clear: I really like Elmarko. He's had a great attitude this year despite likely feeling like he is underachieving his personal expectations. He has improved on defense and has found ways to fit in on offense with our vets. He is at least a year or 2 away from this being a realistic convo to have.
Absolutely. He's not lost out there like other AA guards have been. It's a testament to his ability and potential that he's not just out there gumming everything up. There's a reason that playing him 30mpg was very much not Plan A, and yet he's been fine.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Damn, I do miss that Chalmers-Robinson defense though.