East Bay

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

East Bay

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s got the scoop on this corner of the world?

Oakland/Berkeley specifically
zsn
Contributor

Re: East Bay

Post by zsn »

What do you need to know? They are both quite bipolar in their own way. Oakland has parts that many people would avoid but other parts that are very upscale. Berkeley is basically student ghetto on one side but very upscale on the other.

They both have a lot of trendy restaurants and welcoming neighborhoods. Trendy can define both cheap, local food as well as higher end. Areas around Lake Merritt and Jack London Square are frequented by tourists and locals.

Alameda is a great gem, just off Oakland. As are Piedmont neighborhood and Moraga.

Of course, I’m from the South Bay and my knowledge is somewhat limited.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cool, thanks. Just curious about the area. My buddy just got a job and house out there and trying to convince me to come that way too.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Oussie looose in SF. What could go wrong.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve got it on good authority (kcrim posters) that it’s basically the second gate to hell there
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:03 pm Oussie looose in SF. What could go wrong.
There certainly exists a critical mass of “hippie chicks”, especially around Berkeley. Also, many of them haven’t grasped the reality that their 20s was 40 years ago.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

zsn wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:29 pm
Of course, I’m from the South Bay and my knowledge is somewhat limited.
I lived in the east side of Morgan Hill years ago. Back when Anderson had water
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

That’s a great area. One of our favorite places is Guglielmo Winery, down the road from Anderson, across from Live Oak School. “Downtown” Morgan Hill is a great place, with several beer gardens (brew pubs) and restaurants. It’s totally unpretentious and has great restaurants. It’s a lot closer to us than Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and Mtn View

Anderson finally got some water last year. But many of the farms on the east side of 101 are homes now
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Of course they are.
We used to hit some ski and wake sets before work on Anderson.

That lake was like glass in the morning.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks you guys.

I dunno if I could do SF proper, but the bay is a big area.

I got lunch in Berkeley once. Seemed nice. Like a bigger Lawrence, maybe.

But yea, I’m antsy for a change of scenery and got a buddy in my ear. Also might move elsewhere in CO, but considering much of CO is “the new Cali,” which is to say, just as expensive as Cali but without quite actually being Cali, why not just go full Cali.

My prob is I still gotta figure things like “a career” out, but my ambition still leans, “why conform to the construct of a career when I could just reject all that bullshit and go off the grid instead.”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am My prob is I still gotta figure things like “a career” out, but my ambition still leans, “why conform to the construct of a career when I could just reject all that bullshit and go off the grid instead.”
was thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to my “career”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

right out if college I was a good little company man, laser focused and career oriented.

Burning the candle that hot hurts. Then for awhile in my late 20s early 30s my plan was to be a carpenter drifter, maybe cowboy and kind of just bounce around the west wherever the wind blew me.

Then I had kids and it all sort of rolled back up. But, I couldn't go back to the follow the leader career path.

I think the definition of career is changing/has changed. But, at some point, your skill set and experience define your best opportunities financially and we all sort if end up in some sort of career whether we want to or not.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What a great song!

Thanks!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What I tell my older kids is that what you should really be pointing yourself toward a career that makes use of your best traits/abilities that are also the ones you like expressing and developing the most.

From there, things will sort themselves out.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:55 am
What a great song!

Thanks!
didn't pin you as a spice 1 fan....but, if ya are being serious: these are 3 of my favorites

https://youtu.be/r19UnVBjETs?si=e6kXd1eBXerY7Mli

https://youtu.be/NJAmaHMnYEY?si=-BvzaWs6aya0KP2X

https://youtu.be/S8K31tTV554?si=h2g_JBXF4jEtn_Ak
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:09 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:55 am
What a great song!

Thanks!
didn't pin you as a spice 1 fan....but, if ya are being serious: these are 3 of my favorites

https://youtu.be/r19UnVBjETs?si=e6kXd1eBXerY7Mli

https://youtu.be/NJAmaHMnYEY?si=-BvzaWs6aya0KP2X

https://youtu.be/S8K31tTV554?si=h2g_JBXF4jEtn_Ak
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Unfortunately, after being very tuned in in the late 60's because of my older brother and then working in record stores for many years in the 70's and early 80s-being on the comp list to get in free at all the concerts over those years because we sold tickets, like my golf game, getting into medical school and being $200,000 in debt meant I had other priorities and my insight into the music of the 80s especially and the 90s for the most part suffered too. I Missed A Lot.

Guess I should have followed my passion and been a pro basketball player?
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well Shirley, that depends...what's your wingspan?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am My prob is I still gotta figure things like “a career” out, but my ambition still leans, “why conform to the construct of a career when I could just reject all that bullshit and go off the grid instead.”
was thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to my “career”

^^^^^^

even if we bicker on the pols bored sometimes, I knew we were still besties. But don't tell Shirley.

also, did I share this the other day?

https://www.reddit.com/r/confessions/co ... .com/embed