East Bay

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: East Bay

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:05 am

What I tell my older kids is that what you should really be pointing yourself toward a career that makes use of your best traits/abilities that are also the ones you like expressing and developing the most.

From there, things will sort themselves out.
Take it to the AI thread.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:48 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am My prob is I still gotta figure things like “a career” out, but my ambition still leans, “why conform to the construct of a career when I could just reject all that bullshit and go off the grid instead.”
was thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to my “career”

^^^^^^

even if we bicker on the pols bored sometimes, I knew we were still besties. But don't tell Shirley.

also, did I share this the other day?

https://www.reddit.com/r/confessions/co ... .com/embed
jelly
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:25 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:34 am
was thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to my “career”

^^^^^^

even if we bicker on the pols bored sometimes, I knew we were still besties. But don't tell Shirley.

jelly
I would 100% do that. But, I would only do it to myself, wouldn't be fair to the wife and kids etc.

I mentioned the other day my one time thought of being some sort of drifting cowboy carpenter. That plan also included a pretty detailed plan of doing the pacific coast trail solo and then eventually ending up in Montana Wyoming or Alaska in a little tint 1 room cabin similar to that post.

I could've done it then. Now, yknow love...and kids. It might get a tad lonely at times. But it'd be something for sure.

I used to watch "Alone in the Wilderness" about Dick Proenecke on PBS often. pretty damn awesome.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:01 pm

^^^^^^

jelly
I would 100% do that. But, I would only do it to myself, wouldn't be fair to the wife and kids etc.

I mentioned the other day my one time thought of being some sort of drifting cowboy carpenter. That plan also included a pretty detailed plan of doing the pacific coast trail solo and then eventually ending up in Montana Wyoming or Alaska in a little tint 1 room cabin similar to that post.

I could've done it then. Now, yknow love...and kids. It might get a tad lonely at times. But it'd be something for sure.

I used to watch "Alone in the Wilderness" about Dick Proenecke on PBS often. pretty damn awesome.
fortunately, the wife seems to be on board with pursuing such a thing (at least in spirit)

i’m not sold on her being able to go without internet for long stretches, but i suppose we could use something like starlink if absolutely necessary (and if i could plug my nose long enough to support musk)

the biggest issue i’ve got is staying the current course in order to save enough to make it happen. what we really need is a wealthy relative to kick the bucket and help us out, but neither of us have any such relative (that we’re aware of)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:15 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:01 pm

jelly

fortunately, the wife seems to be on board with pursuing such a thing (at least in spirit)

i’m not sold on her being able to go without internet for long stretches, but i suppose we could use something like starlink if absolutely necessary (and if i could plug my nose long enough to support musk)

the biggest issue i’ve got is staying the current course in order to save enough to make it happen. what we really need is a wealthy relative to kick the bucket and help us out, but neither of us have any such relative (that we’re aware of)
break up with her
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nah, i’m good
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

My wife and I are just a hair over a year away from starting our post-employment nomadic life.

This current Jeep is being built for long-stretch off grid travel. 30 gallon auxiliary water, secondary battery system with solar, rear seat delete with a fridge/freezer and storage where the back seat used to be, RSI Smart Cap on the bed, and built in air compressor system.

Of course, the Gladiator is already built, lifted and protected to go wherever we decide to go (mostly guided by the discomfort level of the Mrs).

We ordered an Arkto Off Road camper when we were at Overland Expo in Loveland last month.
https://youtu.be/0VRKHJIui5s?si=2zq5KgHQpO5hxdDv
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:39 pm My wife and I are just a hair over a year away from starting our post-employment nomadic life.

This current Jeep is being built for long-stretch off grid travel. 30 gallon auxiliary water, secondary battery system with solar, rear seat delete with a fridge/freezer and storage where the back seat used to be, RSI Smart Cap on the bed, and built in air compressor system.

Of course, the Gladiator is already built, lifted and protected to go wherever we decide to go (mostly guided by the discomfort level of the Mrs).

We ordered an Arkto Off Road camper when we were at Overland Expo in Loveland last month.
Wow, once you have that, you won't have any excuse not to get out into the wild.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:18 pm
Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:39 pm My wife and I are just a hair over a year away from starting our post-employment nomadic life.

Wow, once you have that, you won't have any excuse not to get out into the wild.
You never met the (legendary) Air Opus:
(skip ahead to 1:50 if you want to see it in action)
https://youtu.be/x6JoA6wUbOs?si=nJc1veZX3wD7FP1Q
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

You can of course park in the alley behind one of our buildings when you pass through the Empire as you traverse the country. We will be out there full time soon.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:21 pm

You can of course park in the alley behind one of our buildings when you pass through the Empire as you traverse the country. We will be out there full time soon.
You can count on it.
We plan to travel starting in the fall from the PNW...through the north, then down to Colorado, then work our way west back to the California desert and Baja.

Then, in the Spring, work our way back up through Nevada, Utah, Idaho and back to the PNW.

Repeat yearly.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Solstice will always be the weekend after Father's Day.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:00 pm Cool, thanks. Just curious about the area. My buddy just got a job and house out there and trying to convince me to come that way too.
This seems like a great opportunity. Are you going?

My oldest daughter and her BF are moving to SF in October. They found an apartment right around the corner from "Chez Joey" (Spreckels Mansion) near Lafayette Park. I will have to go visit. They loved living in Denver for the mountain proximity and they have loved Chicago for the cultural diversity and the big water. Now they will have all of that plus milder weather. They sold everything large in their apartment in Chicago and will buy what they need on Craigslist when they get out there.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I enjoy watching some of the extreme minimalists on youtube that are down to a few possessions that fit in a bag. Some have burned their passports and all forms of ID. One guy only wears organic and carries some berries he can eat that will kill him so that he can go back to the earth... he has a rant about being stupid about extending life. That particular guy is a grower/gatherer that people will let squat on their land. Presently he is back up to a few hundred items, but most of those are canning jars.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:44 am I enjoy watching some of the extreme minimalists on youtube that are down to a few possessions that fit in a bag. Some have burned their passports and all forms of ID. One guy only wears organic and carries some berries he can eat that will kill him so that he can go back to the earth... he has a rant about being stupid about extending life. That particular guy is a grower/gatherer that people will let squat on their land. Presently he is back up to a few hundred items, but most of those are canning jars.
Fucking hippy

Also:
https://youtu.be/uCB42DDDXPI?si=-xaj0CrbM5g0I0gF
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I love watching the folks roughing it too based on my Alaska time. Nature. No traffic.
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Myth of the Noble Savage.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:03 pm Myth of the Noble Savage.
It's like this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcyRLtwUVY....there is even a Fluevog store on Haight Street these days.

Noble indeed!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Warm San Franciscan Nights....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4G3KPP1Nts

Golden Gate Park is one of the most beautiful in the world.

This weekend is the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. John Doe, Steve Earle, Rufus Wainwright, Shakey Graves, Emmylou Harris, Jason Isbell, Buddy Miller and much much more for three days of free music brought to you by evil rich dead guy philanthropist Warren Hellman. Spend the day with a couple hundred thousand other free spirits. For the full experience bring cash and take a gypsy cab back to your hotel at the end of the day.

I have been to Bumbershoot and I think Hardly Strictly kicks it's ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto