Lefties

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Lefties

Post by ousdahl »

No, not pols bored shit, just trying to keep the new hoops threads coming.

so I was trying to think of southpaws in the Self KU era and only come up with like 3?

Oubre
X
Langford

Help me think of anyone else?
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: Lefties

Post by AlOerter »

Raef Laftentz
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Dave Robisch
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Ron Kellog
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

thanks Al!

tho, I'm pretty sure those are all roibois.

I guess Langford could count as one too, but at least played for Self for a couple years.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Sorry, I missed the Self era part.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Raef - Roi boy, Robo - Ted Owens, Kellog - Larry Brown.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:48 pm99
You and me both, man

…guess that makes 100 of us?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My heart goes out to you, sounds like a heavy load:

left (adj.)
c. 1200, "opposite of right," probably from Kentish and northern English forms of Old English *lyft "weak; foolish" (in lyft-adl "lameness, paralysis"). Compare East Frisian luf, Dutch dialectal loof "weak, worthless").

Sense of "opposite of right" is from the left being usually the weaker hand), a derived sense also found in cognate Middle Dutch and Low German luchter, luft. Compare Lithuanian kairys "left" and Lettish kreilis "left hand" both from a root that yields words for "twisted, crooked."

The usual Old English winstre/winestra "left" (adj.); "left hand," literally "friendlier," a euphemism used superstitiously to avoid invoking the unlucky forces connected with the left side (compare sinister). The Kentish word itself might have been originally a taboo replacement, if instead it represents PIE *laiwo- "considered conspicuous" (represented in Greek laios, Latin laevus, and Russian levyi). Greek also uses a euphemism for "left," aristeros "the better one" (compare also Avestan vairyastara- "to the left," from vairya- "desirable").

sinister (adj.)
Origin and meaning of sinister
early 15c., sinistre, "prompted by malice or ill-will; false, dishonest, intending to mislead," with suggestion, report, etc., from Old French senestre, sinistre "contrary, false; unfavorable; to the left"

(14c.), from Latin sinister "left, on the left side" (opposite of dexter), a word of uncertain origin. Perhaps meaning properly "the slower or weaker hand" [Tucker], but Klein and Buck suggest it's a euphemism (see left (adj.)) and connected with the root of Sanskrit saniyan "more useful, more advantageous." With contrastive or comparative suffix -ter, as in dexter (see dexterity).

The Latin word was used in augury in the sense of "unlucky, unfavorable" (omens, especially bird flights, seen on the left hand were regarded as portending misfortune), and thus sinister acquired a sense of "harmful, unfavorable, adverse." This was from Greek influence, reflecting the early Greek practice of facing north when observing omens. In genuine Roman auspices, the augurs faced south and left was favorable. Thus sinister also retained a secondary sense in Latin of "favorable, auspicious, fortunate, lucky."

In reference to persons, "deceitful, perfidious," from late 15c. The classical literal sense of "left as opposed to right, in the left side (of the body)" is attested in English from c. 1500. In heraldry (from 1560s) sinister indicates "left, to the left." Related: Sinisterly; sinisterness.
Bend sinister (not bar sinister) in heraldry indicates illegitimacy and preserves the literal sense of "on or from the left side" (though in heraldry this is from the view of the bearer of the shield, not the observer of it; see bend (n.2)).
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

That's some pretty grim research Shirley.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

We also associate descriptions like gauche with left handedness and with undesirable traits. Similarly, droit with desirable qualities. Language evolution is unfair like that.

BTW, wasn’t Xavier Henry (or his dad) lefty as well?
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Enaruna was a lefty, though his set shot was righty
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

gauche

it’s literally been years since i’ve heard or seen anyone use that word
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:50 pm Enaruna was a lefty, though his set shot was righty
I spent years forcing myself to use my (non-dominant) L hand as much as possible for everyday tasks in the hope that I could then shoot a basketball more accurately with it when the situation called for it. I guess it helped some, but still...

The idea of using my non-dominate as my shooting hand feels entirely, 100% whacko, to me.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:21 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:50 pm Enaruna was a lefty, though his set shot was righty
I spent years forcing myself to use my (non-dominant) L hand as much as possible for everyday tasks in the hope that I could then shoot a basketball more accurately with it when the situation called for it. I guess it helped some, but still...

The idea of using my non-dominate as my shooting hand feels entirely, 100% whacko, to me.
Pretty common in other sports. Isn’t Phil Mickelson a righty?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm a lefty but play golf, hockey, guitar, drum set all righty.

mostly just cuz that's the equipment that was around growing up.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

sure, i had this left handed basketball but it never seemed to work well so i was forced to use the right handed one.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

hoopla wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:23 pm sure, i had this left handed basketball but it never seemed to work well so i was forced to use the right handed one.
Interesting. Same thing happened to me with a screwdriver! Except I ended up with a left handed one!!!!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I found out pretty late in life that I was adopted and both of my adoptive parents were left handed. Not sure about my birth parents, I don't know anything about them.

When I started in Catholic school in 1966, writing left handed was "discouraged".

I may be a natural lefty, I don't know. I write and use a knife with my right hand, but shoot a basketball, throw and bat lefty.

My parents were very good bowlers when I was little and I joined a league as soon as I was old enough.

The coach came up to me one day and said, "I don't care which hand you use, just pick one and go with it." I had no idea that I was switching.

Interesting case of nature/nurture.
Defense. Rebounds.