Term limits

Ugh.
randylahey

Term limits

Post by randylahey »

The house judiciary committee is voting on term limits today. A lot of us have our disagreements... but one thing we seemingly all have in common is being in favor of term limits. Most citizens all favor term limits, and yet it's the politicians who don't and who get to vote on it. I'm very intrigued which members of congress will vote in favor of term limits

In some ways, it's kind of the ultimate litmus test to find out who's a corrupt career politician and who means well and means to serve the people

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status ... SJzvw&s=19
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Term limits

Post by Shirley »

Don't you pretend to be libertarian?

What gives you the right to keep other Americans from voting for and electing who they want to represent them?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'd be OK with an age limit but not a term limit. Do you or I have to leave our jobs after a certain period of time because we might have too many connections or have too much knowledge about the process? No. That's dumb.

Capping Senators to a 2 term limit basically means that you have a steady flow of newbies who have no fucking clue of what to do and who have no experience to rely on to help them. That's a recipe for incompetence in such an important job.

Would you rather have a doctor who has done your surgery 300 times over the last 20 years or someone who just started doing it last year?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm I'd be OK with an age limit but not a term limit. Do you or I have to leave our jobs after a certain period of time because we might have too many connections or have too much knowledge about the process? No. That's dumb.

Capping Senators to a 2 term limit basically means that you have a steady flow of newbies who have no fucking clue of what to do and who have no experience to rely on to help them. That's a recipe for incompetence in such an important job.

Would you rather have a doctor who has done your surgery 300 times over the last 20 years or someone who just started doing it last year?
Different situation entirely. I agree with age limit as well. Even if it's something like 70.

Term limit doesn't have to be 2. Even if the term limit starts at.. let's say 4. That's a step in the right direction
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:03 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm I'd be OK with an age limit but not a term limit. Do you or I have to leave our jobs after a certain period of time because we might have too many connections or have too much knowledge about the process? No. That's dumb.

Different situation entirely. I agree with age limit as well. Even if it's something like 70.

Term limit doesn't have to be 2. Even if the term limit starts at.. let's say 4. That's a step in the right direction
It would have to be a pretty high number for me to be OK with it. It takes several years of experience just for Congress persons to gain experience on different committees and show where their knowledge is the most useful. Sorry, but I don't want to boot competent people for no reason. If they prove to be incompetent, then vote them out. Term limits seem to be mostly to make it OK for the voters to be lazy and not work hard to vote out incumbent scumbags.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm

please reconcile this logic with the 2-term limit for the office of president.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Exhibit A
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:25 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm

please reconcile this logic with the 2-term limit for the office of president.
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

When when you are appointed to act on behalf of the people... you really don't need experience here. Incompetent people shouldn't be getting elected into these positions

The point of term limits is to limit individual power. And so the power will continue to reside with the people
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And lets look around at your long term politicians.... people like biden, mitch mcconell, etc

You don't get more competitent representation. You get corrupt representation. The type that acts on behalf of big government's best interest, not the people. More time for corruption to take root
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Take the money out. Take the mud-slinging out. Have worthy candidates. Yeah
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:53 pm When when you are appointed to act on behalf of the people... you really don't need experience here. Incompetent people shouldn't be getting elected into these positions

The point of term limits is to limit individual power. And so the power will continue to reside with the people
Start with the SCOTUS
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 pm And lets look around at your long term politicians.... people like biden, mitch mcconell, etc

You don't get more competitent representation. You get corrupt representation. The type that acts on behalf of big government's best interest, not the people. More time for corruption to take root
You must mean Clarence Thomas…..instead of representation it’s competence
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 pm And lets look around at your long term politicians.... people like biden, mitch mcconell, etc

Would you mind showing us your evidence that McConnell and Biden are "corrupt"?

tia
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I'd go for no term limits for any federal office, but open primaries as well.

Ideally there would be no term limits - Representative Democracy kinda falls on its face if politicians aren't accountable to their constituents. But because of the power of the two parties we end up being forced to vote for someone we don't want just because they're the incumbent and man do we hate that other party so we can't vote for them.

I think open primaries can fix that to some extent.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:25 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:53 pm When when you are appointed to act on behalf of the people... you really don't need experience here. Incompetent people shouldn't be getting elected into these positions

Start with the SCOTUS
Amend the Constitution.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:27 pm

Weird how you continually pick on that one guy.

Weird, I tell ya.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

He's a racist. That's why he always hates in Clarence

Also Clarence is revered as goat level supreme court justice. True constitutionalist. Understands that it's not his place to be an activist, but to uphold the law
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:59 pm
zsn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:27 pm

Weird how you continually pick on that one guy.

Weird, I tell ya.
I don’t need to “pick” on other corrupt people because they appear to have a sense of shame and propriety. FTR, no Republican Senator has called on Sen Menendez to resign. McCarthy changed his tune when the words George and Santos were brought up.

I “pick” on Clarence Thomas because we have no recourse. He could shoot someone on live TV and Republicans won’t remove him from the court. He’s the most corrupt person on the most corrupt court (that we know of).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:18 pm He's a racist. That's why he always hates in Clarence

Also Clarence is revered as goat level supreme court justice. True constitutionalist. Understands that it's not his place to be an activist, but to uphold the law
Hey DC - we need you for a lulz on aisle randy
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Why?