Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:35 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:07 pm Today In: I am so me:

That God took time out of his busy day, and despite the 7.8 billion other people in the world and all the other problems they might have, he selected me to be speaker of the house! Because

I'm me.

Same guy: "Johnson called homosexuality a “inherently unnatural” and “dangerous lifestyle” that would lead to legalized pedophilia and possibly even destroy “the entire democratic system.”

Same guy: “Homosexual relationships are inherently unnatural and, the studies clearly show, are ultimately harmful and costly for everyone,” he wrote. “Society cannot give its stamp of approval to such a dangerous lifestyle. If we change marriage for this tiny, modern minority, we will have to do it for every deviant group. Polygamists, polyamorists, pedophiles, and others will be next in line to claim equal protection. They already are. There will be no legal basis to deny a bisexual the right to marry a partner of each sex, or a person to marry his pet.”

These are the people being chosen to represent a portion of Americans in Congress, which tells me that this represents the views of a not-insignificant portion of Americans. Yikes.
I was this was not so on the nose. But, it is.

https://x.com/jrubinblogger/status/1717 ... PzNG4aOfKQ
The overall picture is a country that is inclusive, respectful of religious differences, pro-democracy and supportive of women’s rights — except when it comes to the Republican, mostly White evangelical Christians who reject these fundamental ideas.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:33 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:07 pm Today In: I am so me:

That God took time out of his busy day, and despite the 7.8 billion other people in the world and all the other problems they might have, he selected me to be speaker of the house! Because

I'm me.

Same guy: "Johnson called homosexuality a “inherently unnatural” and “dangerous lifestyle” that would lead to legalized pedophilia and possibly even destroy “the entire democratic system.”

Same guy: “Homosexual relationships are inherently unnatural and, the studies clearly show, are ultimately harmful and costly for everyone,” he wrote. “Society cannot give its stamp of approval to such a dangerous lifestyle. If we change marriage for this tiny, modern minority, we will have to do it for every deviant group. Polygamists, polyamorists, pedophiles, and others will be next in line to claim equal protection. They already are. There will be no legal basis to deny a bisexual the right to marry a partner of each sex, or a person to marry his pet.”

These are the people being chosen to represent a portion of Americans in Congress, which tells me that this represents the views of a not-insignificant portion of Americans. Yikes.

The overall picture is a country that is inclusive, respectful of religious differences, pro-democracy and supportive of women’s rights — except when it comes to the Republican, mostly White evangelical Christians who reject these fundamental ideas.
https://www.meidastouch.com/news/new-sp ... -evolution

Same guy is blaming mass shooting on amongst other things, the teaching of evolution in school.

The Catholic Church is the largest indoctrination platform in world history. That's a special brand of brainwashed to make that sort of ignorant leap of logic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:06 pm

Same guy is blaming mass shooting on amongst other things, the teaching of evolution in school.

The Catholic Church is the largest indoctrination platform in world history. That's a special brand of brainwashed to make that sort of ignorant leap of logic.
You must understand the fundamental principle here. It’s about everything EXCEPT what it’s really about.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:06 pm

jfc

he’s undoubtedly a climate change denier as well, i’m sure
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You'll never convince me that the Catholic Church is anything more than just a really well established cult.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

question is, does johnson find a way to hold on?

mccarthy made it 9 months
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:25 pm question is, does johnson find a way to hold on?

I think it's Johnson unless/until the Rs conclude that the MAGA nonsense is too poisonous to the country.

lol, jk

By "the country" I of course mean "MAGA hopes in 2024".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:27 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:25 pm question is, does johnson find a way to hold on?

I think it's Johnson unless/until the Rs conclude that the MAGA nonsense is too poisonous to the country.

lol, jk

By "the country" I of course mean "MAGA hopes in 2024".
i don’t know…the party seems more fractured than ever. seems like all it would take is rubbing a few people the wrong way, and he could get mccarthy’d
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Ted Lieu
@tedlieu
·
2h
Voting today in the GOP controlled House. Are we voting on issues important to the American people like reducing gun violence? NO.

We are voting on stupid stuff like:

-Reducing salary of Secretary of Energy to $1

-Reducing salary of Asst Secretary of Army for Civil Works to $1
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:50 pm Ted Lieu
@tedlieu
·
2h
Voting today in the GOP controlled House. Are we voting on issues important to the American people like reducing gun violence? NO.

We are voting on stupid stuff like:

-Reducing salary of Secretary of Energy to $1

-Reducing salary of Asst Secretary of Army for Civil Works to $1
That swamp isn't going to drain itself
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:32 am Image
I’m hopeful. Not in the near term.

But I just feel that we’ve crossed a bridge here, and (fueled by the agency felt in the reaction to Dobbs) stuff this like is electoral death.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We'll see in a few weeks when he undoubtedly has to make a deal with the Dems to avoid a shutdown (AKA doing his job).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:45 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:32 am Image
I’m hopeful. Not in the near term.

But I just feel that we’ve crossed a bridge here, and (fueled by the agency felt in the reaction to Dobbs) stuff this like is electoral death.
Depends on where you live. Supporting trans people is electoral death in far too many spots of our nation.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

obviously, this isn’t going anywhere as-is, but…

The first major legislation House Republicans passed under newly installed Speaker Mike Johnson would cut billions of dollars in consumer rebates for energy efficiency upgrades included in President Joe Biden’s signature climate law. 

The $58 billion measure, which funds the Energy Department and other agencies, rescinds more than $5.5 billion from the Inflation Reduction Act, including a $4.5 billion program for homeowners to switch to more energy efficient appliances and a $1 billion grant program to help states craft more stringent building energy codes. 

The bill, approved Thursday on a 210-199 vote, also slashes the Energy Department’s energy efficiency and renewable energy office funding by 42% below last year’s levels and revokes $15 billion in loan authority from the department’s loan guarantee program...

per Bloomberg
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Johnson will be deposed as Speaker. Trump has just who he wants and needs. When you look back at Johnson's record, there's nothing to suggest that as speaker he won't do anything he possibly can to give the '24 election to Trump, even if he loses by 7 million votes, again. (I don't know him that well, so if you have reason to think otherwise, please share and walk me back from the edge. tia.)

Is the honeymoon already over? Johnson is being criticized, because apparently, he isn't racist enough.

In the wake of George Floyd’s death in 2020, Johnson said Floyd had been murdered... and in an interview with Walter Isaacson, suggested that his adopted black son was treated differently than his biological white son.

...Those comments did not sit well with some on the right.

The Daily Wire’s Matt Walsh shared the video and captioned it “full clip of the new GOP speaker saying that George Floyd was murdered and we need systemic changes to fix the racism in our country.”

...“It’s even worse than it looks when you see the full context. He went on PBS a week after George Floyd’s overdose and called it an ‘outrage’ and ‘objectively an act of murder,’ and then went on to fully endorse BLM’s talking points and policy prescriptions,” he continued. “Completely disqualifying. Every conservative celebrating this guy needs to watch this interview.”

Social media influencer and Substack writer Pedro Gonzalez, meanwhile, complained that “the new GOP House speaker has completely internalized left-wing racial libel about white supremacy and privilege.”

...Laura Loomer: "Is he an undercover Democrat?” “What type of MAGA republican says something like this? George Floyd was a drug addict and a criminal. Yet the new Speaker of the House said his heart broke for George Floyd. I’m really MAGA. You know who my heart breaks for?Derek Chauvin. Derek Chauvin is an innocent man. He was sacrificed to appease the violent BLM mob that was enabled by liars like Mike Johnson,” she continued...
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

exactly why i asked how long he’d last

the right seemingly can’t help but cannibalize itself
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:57 am exactly why i asked how long he’d last

the right seemingly can’t help but cannibalize itself
I hear you. It felt strange saying how certain I was he'd last, but then posting how he's already being derided. But imo, if the 18 repubs running in districts Biden won and Ken Buck, (who wouldn't vote for Jordan or Scalise for speaker because they wouldn't agree Biden won in '20), were OK with him, and Trump likes him, which means Matt Gaetz and the MAGAs like him, I'd be amazed if he was axed. He's smart, despite being delusional, and he's on a mission from God. Not kidding, sadly. So, all things considered, if you're a Christo-fascist republican, what's not to like?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas