It's Only (Your?) Money

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: It's Only (Your?) Money

Post by japhy »

As true now as it was back then....
You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:51 am
japhy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:46 am [quote=jfish26 post_id=358960 time=1696503999 user_id=

Thankfully, now that the ravages of
climate change are so obvious, I'm sure Americans will recognize the need to change, make the requisite changes and sacrifice, and things will be back to normal in no time.
I’m not so sure about things getting back to “normal” in no time. Who knows what Mother Nature has in store for us. It won’t be an easy battle. The fossil fuel effects may not lessen until around 2030 or so. Look for increased number of harsh weather events(hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, etc…Personally I don’t know that many of my acquaintances have made the “requisite” changes or sacrifices in order to reverse global warming. Adaptation may be our only out for now.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the continued doubling down on dumb is getting old

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ckout=true
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:06 pm the continued doubling down on dumb is getting old

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ckout=true
Dream on
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

dolomite wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:01 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:51 am
japhy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:46 am [quote=jfish26 post_id=358960 time=1696503999 user_id=

Thankfully, now that the ravages of
climate change are so obvious, I'm sure Americans will recognize the need to change, make the requisite changes and sacrifice, and things will be back to normal in no time.
I’m not so sure about things getting back to “normal” in no time. Who knows what Mother Nature has in store for us. It won’t be an easy battle. The fossil fuel effects may not lessen until around 2030 or so. Look for increased number of harsh weather events(hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, etc…Personally I don’t know that many of my acquaintances have made the “requisite” changes or sacrifices in order to reverse global warming. Adaptation may be our only out for now.
I can't tell exactly how you produced this post collage, but the structure is fuckin brilliant.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I use to work for a federal agency that deals with the physical sciences. There was a map on the wall (for decoration) of the US with natural hazards all over it (floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards, etc). I was young and dumb then, but I walked by that map several times a day. When I got to an age where I sorta could pick out a place to live, Western NY was still stuck in my head.
I now live in Western NY. A reliably blue state with four seasons, plenty of fresh water (Lake Ontario and others), and lots of character. No place is perfect, but I like it here. It has become a climate oasis and Canada is my exit plan.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:36 pm I use to work for a federal agency that deals with the physical sciences. There was a map on the wall (for decoration) of the US with natural hazards all over it (floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards, etc). I was young and dumb then, but I walked by that map several times a day. When I got to an age where I sorta could pick out a place to live, Western NY was still stuck in my head.
I now live in Western NY. A reliably blue state with four seasons, plenty of fresh water (Lake Ontario and others), and lots of character. No place is perfect, but I like it here. It has become a climate oasis and Canada is my exit plan.
I would go so very long on Rochester, Minnesota. I think Rochester will be a pro sports-size town within the next 15 years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I thought that same way when I moved here -- though hurricanes/nor'easters still a possible threat, though much milder, up here.

One threat not mentioned ( large parts of Minnesota would be fuuuucked ) are the nuclear fallout hotspots. Much of my state, with the greatest air and water on the planet, much better than Michigan, would avoid that issue.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the link i posted in the apocalypse thread has a bunch of “vulnerability” maps based on various metrics and priorities

if there is such a thing as a “sweet spot”, it looks to be iowa

https://roxieontheroad.com/the-bridges- ... on-county/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:36 pm I use to work for a federal agency that deals with the physical sciences. There was a map on the wall (for decoration) of the US with natural hazards all over it (floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards, etc). I was young and dumb then, but I walked by that map several times a day. When I got to an age where I sorta could pick out a place to live, Western NY was still stuck in my head.
On the downside: snow and the Buffalo Bills. And Canadians.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have been to Buffalo a couple of times for work. I like the place, there is something about the old industrial cities that are on the Great Lakes. They have a lot of really good historic building stock and great art museums. There is a well preserved Frank Lloyd Wright house in Buffalo that is worth a visit. And Buffalo has close proximity to the Finger Lakes which is a nice area.

It reminds me of the line from the Jarmusch movie "Only Lovers Left Alive". The vampires (Adam and Eve) are doing a late night tour of Detroit, and Eve says "this place will rise again", "there's water here, when the cities in the South are burning this place will bloom". I think the same case be made for Buffalo.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:48 pm
On the downside: snow and the Buffalo Bills. And Canadians.
better than brown people though

amiright?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Large, but unexpected, of DrPepper to admit she's Deep State!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:30 am KUTradition, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
sick burn, bro!

:lol:
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Canadiens - lovely people.
French Canadiens - assholes.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:45 am Large, but unexpected, of DrPepper to admit she's Deep State!
I have been a government employee my entire adult life and I gather all my intel from Kcrim.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:57 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:45 am Large, but unexpected, of DrPepper to admit she's Deep State!
I have been a government employee my entire adult life and I gather all my intel from Kcrim.
I appreciate the transparency!
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Can't believe Gutter didn't tell us to buy Orange Juice futures:

Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor