9. Berkshire Hathaway
10. UnitedHealth
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Re: It's Only (Your?) Money

Post by Shirley »

A prescient speech by Robert Reich who worked in the administrations of Presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, and served as Secretary of Labor from 1993 to 1997 in the cabinet of President Bill Clinton.

In 1994, I took a lot of heat for this speech warning that the American middle class was in danger. That was 29 years ago this week. Watch and tell me if I was wrong.

A Warning from 1994 of a Two-Tiered Society | Robert Reich
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So, I was poking around the online portal for one of my retirement accounts, and I saw mention that if you take a loan out against the account, the interest just goes into your account (rather than being payable to the advisory firm or another third party).

It would seem to me, then, that an efficient use of resources would be to use a "loan" like this to take out interest-bearing indebtedness? Even if the rate is higher than the interest-bearing indebtedness...since I'd be paying it to myself, isn't that better than paying someone else less interest?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:17 pm So, I was poking around the online portal for one of my retirement accounts, and I saw mention that if you take a loan out against the account, the interest just goes into your account (rather than being payable to the advisory firm or another third party).

It would seem to me, then, that an efficient use of resources would be to use a "loan" like this to take out interest-bearing indebtedness? Even if the rate is higher than the interest-bearing indebtedness...since I'd be paying it to myself, isn't that better than paying someone else less interest?
That seems hard to believe, but I'm no expert.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:19 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:17 pm So, I was poking around the online portal for one of my retirement accounts, and I saw mention that if you take a loan out against the account, the interest just goes into your account (rather than being payable to the advisory firm or another third party).

That seems hard to believe, but I'm no expert.
Me too. But I happened to just watch the KU game with an investment guy, and he couldn’t find holes in the plan. Obviously would be a different story if I was contributing pre-tax dollars, but that’s not the case here. So it really does seem…not like free money, exactly, but I’d absolutely rather pay myself 9.5% than pay a lender a lower percent.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jesus.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

of Nazareth?

The carpenter?

or of Puebla?

The drywall and plaster guy?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If you had invested $1.00 in Home Depot when it was first listed on the market in 1981, you'd now have $10,000.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

but I didn't....and my $1.00 is now worth like .29 cents
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:20 pm but I didn't....and my $1.00 is now worth like .29 cents
If only you had asked me at the time.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:41 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:20 pm but I didn't....and my $1.00 is now worth like .29 cents
If only you had asked me at the time.
I wouldve but I believe I was somewhere between an embryo and fetus I'd guess.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

My portfolio got a lot stronger with the approval of Crispr-CAS9 usage outside of a lab.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:59 pm My portfolio got a lot stronger with the approval of Crispr-CAS9 usage outside of a lab.
Imagine the possibilities!
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:26 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:59 pm My portfolio got a lot stronger with the approval of Crispr-CAS9 usage outside of a lab.
Amazing stuff.

Mrs. Overlander worked hand in hand with Dr. Eric Olson during the research behind this for 10 years at UT Southwestern
Last edited by Overlander on Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:00 pm
Amazing stuff.

Mrs. Overlander worked hand in hand with Dr. Erich Olson during the research behind this for 10 years at UT Southwestern
Damn, it must have been fascinating work:

Eric Olson, Ph.D.

Dr. Olson is the founding chair of the Department of Molecular Biology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He holds the Robert A. Welch Distinguished Chair and the Annie and Willie Nelson Professorship of Stem Cell Research. Dr. Olson and his trainees discovered many of the key transcription factors and mechanisms responsible for heart and muscle development and disease. Dr. Olson is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Medicine and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He has co-founded multiple biotechnology companies, including Myogen Therapeutics, Miragen Therapeutics and Exonics Therapeutics to design innovative therapies for heart and muscle disease.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, when she and I first met, they were working on an enzyme or proteins that baby pigs have for the first 5 weeks after birth.
Apparently, during this time, you could stab a piglet in the heart and the tissues heal them selves almost immediately. They have developed this through evolution to protect the piglets from dying by being trampled and broken ribs damaging the heart.

So, identifying and replicating this for use on open heart patients could be a huge advancement in survival rates of heart surgery recipients.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

2 other fun facts:

Eric is best friends with Dirk Nowitzki.

The first time I met Eric (damn, I sound like Gutter), was at a party at his home. Dirk was there as well.
My wife introduced us, and I shake his hand. A few moments later, Eric's hand slips down to pat my wifes ass. I said ' act like you don't see me fucking standing here".

She was mortified. He was startled and aplogized.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:07 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:00 pm

Amazing stuff.

Mrs. Overlander worked hand in hand with Dr. Erich Olson during the research behind this for 10 years at UT Southwestern
Damn, it must have been fascinating work:

Eric Olson, Ph.D.

Dr. Olson is the founding chair of the Department of Molecular Biology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He holds the Robert A. Welch Distinguished Chair and the Annie and Willie Nelson Professorship of Stem Cell Research. Dr. Olson and his trainees discovered many of the key transcription factors and mechanisms responsible for heart and muscle development and disease. Dr. Olson is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Medicine and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He has co-founded multiple biotechnology companies, including Myogen Therapeutics, Miragen Therapeutics and Exonics Therapeutics to design innovative therapies for heart and muscle disease.
Yet, Randy would tell him that he doesn't know shit about viruses.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm 2 other fun facts:

Eric is best friends with Dirk Nowitzki.

The first time I met Eric (damn, I sound like Gutter), was at a party at his home. Dirk was there as well.
My wife introduced us, and I shake his hand. A few moments later, Eric's hand slips down to pat my wifes ass. I said ' act like you don't see me fucking standing here".

She was mortified. He was startled and aplogized.
Yikes!
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Wasn't sure where to put this.

The work from home movement we've seen since the pandemic has impacted commercial real estate and particularly office buildings, significantly. Rather than deal with it, some large corporations have decided to cut their losses and turned them back over to the lender, rather than refinance their loans as they come due because it doesn't make sense to pay a higher interest rate on a loan for an asset that has decreased so much in value and is expected to have such poor performance in the future. What to do?

Transforming unused office buildings into urban housing could solve two problems rippling through the real estate world — if only it were so easy.

Converting vacant office buildings into apartments
Anand Giridharadas