NBA 23/24

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NBA 23/24

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:37 am Durant is a nice guy. Maybe the most overrated player in the history of the NBA
Wut.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, Clips get Harden to pair with Westbrook, Paul George and Kawhi.
Lot of talent.
Lot of tude.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

are there enough touches to go around?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:55 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:37 am Durant is a nice guy. Maybe the most overrated player in the history of the NBA
Wut.
He's been a fantastic scorer. One of the best I have seen play the game.
What else does he do well? I'm being serious by asking. You know more about him than I do. Maybe you see things I don't see.
I happen to think/feel/believe he's overrated because I don't think/feel/believe he's one of the 10-15 best to ever play the game like some/many people believe he is.

I say that being he's still one of my favorite players - and one of the nicest I have interacted with.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He plays good but not great defense.
It's because he's such an elite scorer, maybe the best all time, that he's mentioned.
His efficiency is off the charts good.

He's probably just hovering around top 15 for me I think.
Dirk was just a fantastic scorer too and didn't do other things well and he'll go down as a top 25 player all time for sure.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Heat 1-4 (15th place in the East)
Grizz minus Ja 0-5 (Worst record in the NBA)
Celts beat Pacers (theoretically in 4th place in the East) by 51
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:44 pm He plays good but not great defense.
It's because he's such an elite scorer, maybe the best all time, that he's mentioned.
His efficiency is off the charts good.

He's probably just hovering around top 15 for me I think.
Dirk was just a fantastic scorer too and didn't do other things well and he'll go down as a top 25 player all time for sure.
I mean, you're probably right, I just can't see ever putting him on my top 15 or top 25 list.

1. I just dont like the guy, amazingly talented but just doesn't have it, when you watch him play (NBA...college was different) he just doesn't look like he gives a shit.

2. He's Robin. Robin can't make the top 25.

3. Talent wise and Skill wise he should be top 15 easy.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"He's Robin"

https://www.nba.com/news/top-moments-du ... inals-mvps

"The former Oklahoma City Thunder star erupted in his first Finals with the Warriors, averaging 35.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was the Warriors’ top scorer in every game and his lowest point total was 31."

"Durant claimed his second consecutive Finals MVP award, averaging 28.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 7.5 apg and 2.3 bpg."

I think people forget how good Durant was with the Warriors just because the Warriors were a super team.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

People focus on Batman, opens up Robin to do his thing. Same reason Klay wouls absolutely go off from ti e to time and for periods of time. The game plan was to stop Batman.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Put me down as agree to disagree.
And I love Curry as a player.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Durant is top 15 in scoring all time, 12th, and he's done that in fewer games than anyone in the top 15.
In fact, the next player under 1000 games played in total points for, is Jerry West, who is 23rd. He will likely end up at the least top 8 all time in scoring and has a chance to break into the top 5.

He leads all 15 top players in TS% and he's only behind Shaq and Kareem in EFG% ( both of whom lived near the basket for higher percentage shots ).

And, a very important stat for me, is his effectiveness on the court.
Top 10 career PER:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/le ... areer.html

He has 2 Finals MVPs and 1 NBA MVP.
That matches Hakeem.
Beats Oscar.
Beats Dirk.
Beats Dr. J.
Beats Garnett.
Beats Jerry West.

He is objectively a top 25 player all time, easily.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ok, you're probably correct.

If I had a vote (which, obviously I dont) I still wouldn't have him in my top 25.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:39 am People focus on Batman, opens up Robin to do his thing. Same reason Klay wouls absolutely go off from ti e to time and for periods of time. The game plan was to stop Batman.
Stop. Durant can score over anyone no matter how many people you throw at him. He is one of the greatest scorers in NBA history.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Wut.
What else does he do well? I'm being serious by asking. You know more about him than I do. Maybe you see things I don't see.
I happen to think/feel/believe he's overrated because I don't think/feel/believe he's one of the 10-15 best to ever play the game like some/many people believe he is.

I say that being he's still one of my favorite players - and one of the nicest I have interacted with.
Let me ask this, what do people rank Durant for him to be "overrated"? I don't hear many people at all trying to anoint him as anything more that one of the most unguardable scorers in NBA history, which he unquestionably is. I never see anyone mention him in any sort of GOAT or overall player rankings. I have never seen him listed in a Top 10 NBA players list that I can remember.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:37 am
TDub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:39 am People focus on Batman, opens up Robin to do his thing. Same reason Klay wouls absolutely go off from ti e to time and for periods of time. The game plan was to stop Batman.
Stop. Durant can score over anyone no matter how many people you throw at him. He is one of the greatest scorers in NBA history.
Stop.

Differing opinions aren't allowed.

Scoring is the only factor in the discussion.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:40 am

Wut.

Let me ask this, what do people rank Durant for him to be "overrated"? I don't hear many people at all trying to anoint him as anything more that one of the most unguardable scorers in NBA history, which he unquestionably is. I never see anyone mention him in any sort of GOAT or overall player rankings. I have never seen him listed in a Top 10 NBA players list that I can remember.
He's not in my top 10.
And he wouldn't be unless he went on to win another NBA title and Finals MVP.
But could he sneak into my top 15? Maybe?
He's easily in my top 25.

10. Bill Russell
9. Shaq
8. Kobe
7. Duncan
6. Bird
5. Magic
4. Kareem
3. Wilt
2. LeBron
1. MJ

Kobe and Shaq and Magic and Bird could swap spots and i'd be fine with it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:40 am

Wut.

Right there in my post that you quoted....

"I happen to think/feel/believe he's overrated because I don't think/feel/believe he's one of the 10-15 best to ever play the game like some/many people believe he is".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:46 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:37 am
Stop.

Differing opinions aren't allowed.

Scoring is the only factor in the discussion.
Kevin Durant's LOWEST scoring averages of his career were while he was with Golden State. So much for the "Robin" theory. He has been an elite scorer as the only scorer on his team, as one of two, as one of three etc...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you really like Kevin Durant and that's great.

My opinion is that I wouldn't put him in the top 25. That's also fine.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure, that's fine, though i'd like to see the 25 guys you'd pick over him.
( or rather, the 15 that aren't my list above that i'd safely assume make your cut )