KU vs Illini exhibition thread

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: KU vs Illini exhibition thread

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Please forgive my ignorance. What are the arguments the team is worse off by having him on it?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The main one being a concern that he isn't a good fit, especially defensively, compared to what we 'traded him for' which would be Ernest Udeh Jr and Zuby Ejifor.

If you are simply saying are we worse off with Dickinson then no Dickinson and Udeh and Zuby then I don't think i'm part of that argument.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

well. i don't like him because we had to pay him to come here.

and that will never change no matter what he does at KU.

but, he will be our best player.
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:02 pm Please forgive my ignorance. What are the arguments the team is worse off by having him on it?
Start off with the assumption that we would have Udeh if we didn't get Hunter.

Ball screen defense, as Self has mentioned, is not good with Hunter out there. He makes the whole team defense break down. It happened in Puerto Rico and it happened yesterday.

He's also not a particularly good shot blocker per minute.

Udeh was much better at both those things.

The defense would be phenomenal with Udeh. The question is whether Hunter's offense is worth that trade-off. Based on what I have seen so far I lean towards no.

There's a lot of time to see what Self will do to adjust.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
That too.
But that's different to me than arguing whether he's a bad fit.

I don't think he will be. I think his jump in offensive capabilities ( * including maybe some selfish shooting * ) will mitigate any defensive liabilities. But I can see why some might think otherwise.

I'd have preferred keeping Udeh and Zuby because I like having four year players in the system even if it means our team might not be as good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

mjl2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:02 pm Please forgive my ignorance. What are the arguments the team is worse off by having him on it?
I think for this argument to be made you can reasonably assume without Dickinson, we'd have BOTH Udeh and Zuby.

If the response is, "weLl yOU dOnT kNOw ThAT" then it's not worth arguing about.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i just wish at least one of them would have stuck around

both had oodles more upside than Braun
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:09 pm The main one being a concern that he isn't a good fit, especially defensively, compared to what we 'traded him for' which would be Ernest Udeh Jr and Zuby Ejifor.

If you are simply saying are we worse off with Dickinson then no Dickinson and Udeh and Zuby then I don't think i'm part of that argument.
Thanks for the response!
Yeah, if we look at it "trade" wise, it remains to be seen. We probably lose something defensively but
I think most non-biased KU fans would have traded Udeh and Ejifor for Dickinson - and maybe I am wrong but it seems our head coach (that is a Naismith Hall of Famer) feels that way too.
As I say too often, I feel defense can actually be taught and improved on easier than offense.

If we simply look at it as having him on the team or not having him on the team, I think KU is better off having him on the team.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"but it seems our head coach (that is a Naismith Hall of Famer) feels that way too"

I'm guessing this is the case as he was the prize transfer but it's possible he didn't fully expect either or both Udeh/Zuby to transfer because of it.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:15 pm Sure.
That too.
But that's different to me than arguing whether he's a bad fit.

I don't think he will be. I think his jump in offensive capabilities ( * including maybe some selfish shooting * ) will mitigate any defensive liabilities. But I can see why some might think otherwise.

I'd have preferred keeping Udeh and Zuby because I like having four year players in the system even if it means our team might not be as good.
Yes, it is a different take, hence it not being my usual "I agree with pdub".

I think that a lot of our strength is the individual defense of Juan and McCullar, and that gets somewhat neutralized by the entire team defense breaking down because Hunter can't get back quick enough after showing on a screen. And I think the number of points we'll give up because of that is higher than 98% of fans realize.

Hopefully I'm the idiot here
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

mjl2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:32 pm I think that a lot of our strength is the individual defense of Juan and McCullar and mutherfucking KJ Adams, and
fyp
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:26 pm "but it seems our head coach (that is a Naismith Hall of Famer) feels that way too"

I'm guessing this is the case as he was the prize transfer but it's possible he didn't fully expect either or both Udeh/Zuby to transfer because of it.
i don’t think he anticipated BOTH of them bolting
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

mjl2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm

Ball screen defense, as Self has mentioned, is not good with Hunter out there. He makes the whole team defense break down. It happened in Puerto Rico and it happened yesterday.

He's also not a particularly good shot blocker per minute.

Udeh was much better at both those things.

The defense would be phenomenal with Udeh. The question is whether Hunter's offense is worth that trade-off. Based on what I have seen so far I lean towards no.

There's a lot of time to see what Self will do to adjust.
The only issue I have with "The defense would be phenomenal with Udeh" is that he fouled at quite the prodigious rate. 7.7 fouls per 40 last season. Sure, some of that is that since he knew he didn't have to play all game that he could be more aggressive and that Self would yank him for dumb fouls, reducing his minutes. But there is really little actual proof as to whether he could stay on the floor long enough for us to have a great defense with him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

May I present to you freshman Udoka Azubuike?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Weird that neither ESPN nor CBS Sports has any mention of the game last night. ESPN did mention Pitino's St. John's team losing an exhibition to a D2 program however...
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:28 pm May I present to you freshman Udoka Azubuike?
A marvelous 11 games of dunking, fouling, and huffin' & puffin' up and down the floor. I always wondered what could have been his Freshman and Junior years had he not gotten hurt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Junior year I think we woulda been a 1 seed.
We were 12-1 and number 5 in the nation before Dok went down and maybe, mayyyybe, with more winning, Vick wouldn't have lost his mind.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The Big Fella is my second or third favorite player of the HCBS era.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sherron Collins. Perry Ellis. Big Fella.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

obviously SC.

i cannot choose between The Big Fella and JWith. so i won't.