Being a Football School > Being a Basketball School

Kansas Football.
Back2Lawrence

Being a Football School > Being a Basketball School

Post by Back2Lawrence »

We all love KU basketball (I think). Nothing like March Madness, from anticipation to matchups to upsets to advancing to later weekends.

AFH is no worse than the 3rd best place to watch a college basketball game (yes, it’s the first).

Traditions abound, the energy is great, and people are abuzz about what KU might do in the upcoming season, tournament, conference race, or individual games. It’s pretty bad ass to be in the national spotlight year in and year out, no doubt.

Football however, is better. The town is absolutely ridiculous before and after games (at least early to mid season when weather is Kansas nice). Groups of people party and tailgate and walk to the stadium and areas around, for an all day party.

I’m too old to do anything but notice, but the scenery is wonderful, with fashion leading the way for many spectators.

The hill isn’t what it used to be, but that’s probably for the best. Traditions? The whoo might as well just be part of the chant now (annoying).

Looking forward to every game having meaning, though, is unique to (good) football teams. In coming seasons, let’s all hope that progresses further and further into the Fall, and to a bowl game outside of the first week of Winter. Because if KU gets to the point of being in a ‘meaningful’ bowl game, I can imagine it’s at least as fun as March Madness.

For me, I have a much better time as part of the fandom going to football games. They are just more encompassing, a better social event, and don’t typically (at least this year so far) end at 930-10 at night in the freezing cold. I’m sure that will change with one of the final two home games probably being in the evening, but even then, that just gives more time to go have fun and be around KU fans earlier in the day.

When comparing game attending experiences, despite AFH being above awesome, I believe football games ultimately offer a fuller entertainment experience. So here’s to being at least a decent football school for a while.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Being a Football School > Being a Basketball School

Post by Back2Lawrence »

And yea, there would be debate as to KU being a football school currently.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't agree but I see your points.

AFH is ( and hopefully continues to be ) such a unique experience and the proof of this is taking someone who has been to CFB games ( I had family who were Bama/Auburn grads ) to a Kansas game and them still being blown away.

If the argument is that Fall is better than Winter and being outside during that time is better, I can't disagree. Fall rules. But Memorial, even fully packed, or hell Bama/Auburn, even fully packed, doesn't measure up to Allen.

And March Madness > CFB Playoff as an event.
So certainly one bowl game, even if a good one, won't measure up to a Final Four.

( also a touch over 2 hours rather than possibly 4 )
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Not everyone has 12 hours to devote to attending a tailgate/sporting event/postgame party or a place to tailgate near the stadium. Is it really fun when you do? Sure.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yeah I get that flip side of the time equation. And no doubt, I'd not try to argue any game experience over AFH.

But yeah, for me, the weather, and being in and around a wide area of people all rooting for KU is more enjoyable (on the whole) than the converse.

I have no doubt AFH will continue to be awesome. My best friend has come out for the first game each of the past two years (he'll miss this one). I was out east to see Penn State this past weekend. And even though their stadium lacked energy (which was very strange according to everyone that gave an opinion), there was something to being around all that nonsense.

I do understand this is a false comparison. But in the end, especially not having to give up opportunities to go to a raucous AFH, I prefer the football gameday experience (but yeah, the pregame and RCJH at end of bball is something else, too).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:09 pm Not everyone has 12 hours to devote to attending a tailgate/sporting event/postgame party or a place to tailgate near the stadium. Is it really fun when you do? Sure.
I get that. I've been to three games this year. None of them took 12 hours. I also had things to get done earlier/later in the day. But the sheer energy surrounding gameday is just more powerful.

And to this, yeah, spilling out of the Red Lyon right after we made to NO in 2022, and having what seemed like the entire student body run past me in the middle of Mass St. is undeniably awesome and hasn't been rivaled by anything football.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I like being a basketball school that is also pretty damn competent at football.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:15 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:09 pm Not everyone has 12 hours to devote to attending a tailgate/sporting event/postgame party or a place to tailgate near the stadium. Is it really fun when you do? Sure.
I get that. I've been to three games this year. None of them took 12 hours. I also had things to get done earlier/later in the day. But the sheer energy surrounding gameday is just more powerful.

And to this, yeah, spilling out of the Red Lyon right after we made to NO in 2022, and having what seemed like the entire student body run past me in the middle of Mass St. is undeniably awesome and hasn't been rivaled by anything football.
And some of that "energy" is simply 40,000 people vs. 16,000 people.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Right. And can't be discounted as a non-reason.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pre and post game is better as a football school than a basketball school - that's a fair argument with no pushback from me.

As far as energy, i've felt more energy at Allen than any other venue, and that includes having been to dozens of games at the loudest stadium in the NFL.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also, the Penn State game probably had 85-95k people there, and it was boring AF as far as crowd interaction goes (until mid way through 3rd quarter). So it's not simply more people...but yes, of course 40-50k should sound louder...even though 16300 in AFH might be way more people per square foot than at the football stadium (and yes AFH is infinitely crazier than Booth for game days).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:21 pm Pre and post game is better as a football school than a basketball school - that's a fair argument with no pushback from me.

As far as energy, i've felt more energy at Allen than any other venue, and that includes having been to dozens of games at the loudest stadium in the NFL.
Agreed. Although Arrowhead is not far behind at all.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:21 pm Pre and post game is better as a football school than a basketball school - that's a fair argument with no pushback from me.

Agreed. Add in that the actual in-game atmosphere in The Booth kinda sucks. The music is weak and quiet, the sound system is antiquated and poor quality and the open air setting leads to the band drowning out amid the overall noise. Then you factor in the shitty concessions and the porta pottys.

I too have never experienced any other sporting event that rivals when AFH is rocking in-game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:21 pm Also, the Penn State game probably had 85-95k people there, and it was boring AF as far as crowd interaction goes (until mid way through 3rd quarter). So it's not simply more people...but yes, of course 40-50k should sound louder...even though 16300 in AFH might be way more people per square foot than at the football stadium (and yes AFH is infinitely crazier than Booth for game days).
No, I mean the energy pre- and post-game is just simply "more" for football rather than basketball on sheer volume.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ksu is a football school, despite whatever dumb things tmcats says about a select period of ten years.
i've been to ksu football games. they are fun.
but being ksu ( a football school ) is not better than being KU ( a basketball school ).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:25 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:21 pm Also, the Penn State game probably had 85-95k people there, and it was boring AF as far as crowd interaction goes (until mid way through 3rd quarter). So it's not simply more people...but yes, of course 40-50k should sound louder...even though 16300 in AFH might be way more people per square foot than at the football stadium (and yes AFH is infinitely crazier than Booth for game days).
No, I mean the energy pre- and post-game is just simply "more" for football rather than basketball on sheer volume.
Though there is just something about downtown Lawrence during March Madness that has it's own undeniable energy.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

gotcha. agree
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:27 pm
Though there is just something about downtown Lawrence during March Madness that has it's own undeniable energy.
Absolutely. Potential decent weather increases that energy lots, too.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:03 pm I don't agree but I see your points.

AFH is ( and hopefully continues to be ) such a unique experience and the proof of this is taking someone who has been to CFB games ( I had family who were Bama/Auburn grads ) to a Kansas game and them still being blown away.

If the argument is that Fall is better than Winter and being outside during that time is better, I can't disagree. Fall rules. But Memorial, even fully packed, or hell Bama/Auburn, even fully packed, doesn't measure up to Allen.

And March Madness > CFB Playoff as an event.
So certainly one bowl game, even if a good one, won't measure up to a Final Four.

( also a touch over 2 hours rather than possibly 4 )
I agree and I see your points.
Comparing pre-game festivities - hooray! A football game means more partying.
Comparing the game experiences. Zero comparison. Allen blows away Booth/Memorial.

Now in regards to March Madness and CFP game as an event and then comparing a CFP game to a Final Four...
I have conflicting feelings.
I have attended multiple Final Fours - that Kansas was not a participant.
I have attended several CFP/BCS games that I didn't have a team I was strongly pulling for.
I would take the entire game day experience of the 2015 (BCS) and more so the 2018 (BCS) Rose Bowl over most of the Final Fours I have attended.
Now shockingly to me, I felt the 2023 CFP National Championship game was absolute JUNK on most if not all levels. I would take ANY of the Final Fours I attended over it.

Back to KU....
I was at the OU game in Lawrence two days before my 18th birthday back in 1984. Most fun KU Football I attended in my lifetime. Heck, one of the most fun sporting events of my lifetime.
I had not yet been in Allen for a Basketball game. About a month later, I realized being at a game in Allen was SO MUCH better than being at a game in Booth/Memorial. My guess is that will remain true for the rest of the history of Allen and Memorial. I say that as someone who is a much bigger football than basketball fan.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I havent read this thread but I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise.
Just Ledoux it