Jason Bean

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Jason Bean

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:02 am This sets up my naïve and honest question, why is being a "good route runner" such a big deal for certain NFL receivers? I was not a football player, so educate me. You follow directions and get the timing right. Is there another part(s) to it, or is that somehow so difficult it gets its own category of superlatives?
So many throws are timing based where a QB has a mental timer that says "I take 5 steps back and throw to this exact point on the field". If a receiver is a bit lazy with how they run their route then they aren't in that exact spot when the ball gets there. If they are supposed to run 7 yards and then break their route out to the sideline at a right angle and their angle is more of a curve than a harder right angle then it takes them a yard or two to fully turn out to the sidelines. That puts them multiple feet short width wise and multiple feet too far depth wise of where the ball gets delivered.

It's all that annoying shit they taught us in geometry, physics and calculus that we said we'd never need again.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Watching UT last night, Bean would have won that game for them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:01 pm Watching UT last night, Bean would have won that game for them.
Weird game from Ewers last night. He was really good at times and then other times was just kinda out of it and inaccurate but maybe all the shots of him with a blank look on his face on the sidelines between drives are clouding my judgement of his performance.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:02 am This sets up my naïve and honest question, why is being a "good route runner" such a big deal for certain NFL receivers? I was not a football player, so educate me. You follow directions and get the timing right. Is there another part(s) to it, or is that somehow so difficult it gets its own category of superlatives?
Think of it like auto racing. Everyone is starting from and ending at the same place, and driving (broadly speaking) equivalent equipment.

But braking and lines into turns and accelerating and so on...there's a lot of nuance even when the route looks more-or-less the same. And that's before you start thinking about things like using shoulders and hips and eyes to get the defender leaning the wrong way at the wrong moment, setting the defender up for double moves, and so on.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:45 pm
Think of it like auto racing. Everyone is starting from and ending at the same place, and driving (broadly speaking) equivalent equipment.

But braking and lines into turns and accelerating and so on...there's a lot of nuance even when the route looks more-or-less the same. And that's before you start thinking about things like using shoulders and hips and eyes to get the defender leaning the wrong way at the wrong moment, setting the defender up for double moves, and so on.
Football is a lot more complex then most people can see. So the key is what is the defense doing. You run someone in motion on offense so you see what defense is being played. Simple terms if someone on defense moves with the motion player its a man defense if not it's a zone. The route you run is totally different depending on this. A WR know as a great route runner is know for creating separation against man and finding the gaps in a zone.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

hartjack8 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:42 pm

Football is a lot more complex then most people can see. So the key is what is the defense doing. You run someone in motion on offense so you see what defense is being played. Simple terms if someone on defense moves with the motion player its a man defense if not it's a zone. The route you run is totally different depending on this. A WR know as a great route runner is know for creating separation against man and finding the gaps in a zone.
Excellent explanation hartjack8!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:34 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:42 pm

Excellent explanation hartjack8!
This is good content from both posters.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Thank you, all.
So in naively assuming that getting to the right spot at the right time is easy, I failed to consider that the receiver also needs to be open when he gets to the spot. That requires reading the defense to devise the best plan, doing the fakes and cuts to create separation, and then taking into consideration the time and geography the fakes and cuts took to get to the spot at the designated split second (and open) when the ball is supposed to be there.

Then, the other receiver superlatives (eg, hands and speed) come into play.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I guess he is listed as "athlete" at the HulaBowl. Like playing the Visitors.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

We shall see but I am thinking that someone is going to draft Jason as a QB. Late round maybe the 7th but somebody watching 450 yards and 6 TD's will give him a shot.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Nothing says "Hula" like Orlando Florida. I wonder if Jason realized that was where he would be headed.

On a related note, of all the athletes and all the quotes, this is the one the Hula Bowl chooses to put on their website.....

"No matter the circumstances you may be going through, just push through it".
- Ray Lewis
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm Nothing says "Hula" like Orlando Florida. I wonder if Jason realized that was where he would be headed.

On a related note, of all the athletes and all the quotes, this is the one the Hula Bowl chooses to put on their website.....

- Ray Lewis
Apparently the Aloha Stadium that used to host the Aloha Bowl is being renovated as part of a multi-year project. It has been at UCF now since the 2022 game.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:03 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm Nothing says "Hula" like Orlando Florida. I wonder if Jason realized that was where he would be headed.

- Ray Lewis
Apparently the Aloha Stadium that used to host the Aloha Bowl is being renovated as part of a multi-year project. It has been at UCF now since the 2022 game.
Spicoli and Mr. Hand should show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGCMS1-tQ0
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hypothetically if Bean had another year and you had to choose between Bean and Daniels next year who would you choose?

You all know my hot take coming:
Bean for me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:56 pm Hypothetically if Bean had another year and you had to choose between Bean and Daniels next year who would you choose?

You all know my hot take coming:
Bean for me.
Let's play out the string a little.

Because for me, the answer might depend on whether or not I'm taking the higher health risk if I pick Daniels.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well yes that’s part of the question.
You get Daniels with no guarantees.
Or Bean.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:18 pm Well yes that’s part of the question.
Or Bean.
Then with as much as we'll have on that side of the ball next year, I might just take Bean. Lower ceiling, higher floor.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:19 pm
Or Bean.
Then with as much as we'll have on that side of the ball next year, I might just take Bean. Lower ceiling, higher floor.
What??? LORD.....you guys have a short memory. If JD played all this year we lose to Texas but that is it. We win all the other games. I like Bean but his is not on JD's level. Remember not Ly but the year before. JD is redshirting and Bean is starting. We terrible. Bean gets hurt and they start JD. It was like night and day. JD all day everyday no question.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:21 pm
Or Bean.
What??? LORD.....you guys have a short memory. If JD played all this year we lose to Texas but that is it. We win all the other games. I like Bean but his is not on JD's level. Remember not Ly but the year before. JD is redshirting and Bean is starting. We terrible. Bean gets hurt and they start JD. It was like night and day. JD all day everyday no question.
The problem is right there in your post. Hard to trust backs.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:21 pm

The problem is right there in your post. Hard to trust backs.
Maybe. But the big picture is you go for the gold or just decide to settle for the bronze. Your decision but I say go for the GOLD. May not work but I wouldn't settle for bronze.