Jason Bean

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Jason Bean

Post by pdub »

I haven't checked the line but I'm guessing we have to be more than a FG favorite.
-4.5 v Tech?
I feel more strongly about Tech because I think we will be able to run on them easily enough -- if we can get chunk yardage from both Neal and Hishaw, we can take command.

i think ksu will, despite being on the road, be a slight favorite.
-2.5 ksu would be my guess, that is, if we both take care of business this Saturday.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:32 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:17 pm Redshirt JD6 and let Bean navigate the rest of the season.
We're a modest favorite over Texas Tech. We will be more than a modest favorite over Cincinnati.

Obviously KSU is, for lots of reasons, the big one. And it'll be fairly close to pick 'em, I think.

So...if Bean gets us to 10-2 (7-2), and into a second-tier bowl...what in the world do you do if JD is healthy and ready to go? I don't think there's a clear, obvious answer.
Since he's not a real NFL draft prospect, you let him collect two years of NIL. (He's in the sixth round of the mock I just looked at).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:55 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:17 pm Redshirt JD6 and let Bean navigate the rest of the season.
We're a modest favorite over Texas Tech. We will be more than a modest favorite over Cincinnati.

Obviously KSU is, for lots of reasons, the big one. And it'll be fairly close to pick 'em, I think.

So...if Bean gets us to 10-2 (7-2), and into a second-tier bowl...what in the world do you do if JD is healthy and ready to go? I don't think there's a clear, obvious answer.
Since he's not a real NFL draft prospect, you let him collect two years of NIL.
From my perspective, I think the ONLY consideration I'd use is how to win this game.

The past is history. The future is not promised.

If Daniels, even as a second banana, moves the needle for this game...you play him. But I'm not sure how you even evaluate that if he has no game action between now and Christmas!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Bean gets us to 10-2 ( wild ) you stick with Bean.
A. His numbers over the last 2 years as a starter aren't as different than Daniels ( and i'd argue if Bean got to fuck around with that swiss cheese Duke defense, they'd be identical ) as we'd think.
B. He got you there - he deserves to finish the season and you don't bring Daniels in cold.

Also right now the bet for KU over 8.5 wins on the season is + 160.
I think that's a decent bet.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:58 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:55 pm

Since he's not a real NFL draft prospect, you let him collect two years of NIL.
From my perspective, I think the ONLY consideration I'd use is how to win this game.

The past is history. The future is not promised.

If Daniels, even as a second banana, moves the needle for this game...you play him. But I'm not sure how you even evaluate that if he has no game action between now and Christmas!
I hear you, but I am sticking to my belief it's much like Coach Self says about the bball players. He'll give the best advice for the moment for the athlete. That might not align with the probability of winning with JD6 at QB. (PDub, I 100% agree with you we ride Bean at this point).

I'm of the belief that the best option for JD6, considering his marginal draft stock and ability to earn income for 2 years at KU if he doesn't play again, would be more to his benefit, and he should sit regardless of circumstance if Bean can play and JD6 can play.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Daniels is looking to pocket this season as a do-not-count season, I'd be ecstatic if we could get him back for 2 more years. We'd have one of the top, if not the top QB in our conference locked in.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It's different, but almost akin to how a lot of players even skip bowl games now. I mean really, if it meant he could make another 500k+ for 2 years (yeah Fish, I know there are no guarantees, but that's not how those decisions are often made), why would he come back to play in a bowl game? Seems really dumb, tbh.

The fan in me hates this perspective, btw. It definitely brings back that EWWWWW feeling I have towards NIL (in it's current form).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:18 pm If Daniels is looking to pocket this season as a do-not-count season, I'd be ecstatic if we could get him back for 2 more years. We'd have one of the top, if not the top QB in our conference locked in.
Yep. It is the most logical choice, honestly.

The part of me that knows how uber-competitive these dudes are, and that suggestions to the contrary are made in folly, doesn't agree. But my logical side sees the scenario clear as day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:19 pm It's different, but almost akin to how a lot of players even skip bowl games now. I mean really, if it meant he could make another 500k+ for 2 years (yeah Fish, I know there are no guarantees, but that's not how those decisions are often made), why would he come back to play in a bowl game? Seems really dumb, tbh.

The fan in me hates this perspective, btw. It definitely brings back that EWWWWW feeling I have towards NIL (in it's current form).
I suppose the counterpoint here is that if you go beat USC or Penn State or Notre Dame or Clemson in a second-tier bowl game...you may well start next season as a (the?) Heisman favorite.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The fear of course is, in this conspiracy, that someone already has his ear and his contract is set up for bank somewhere else.

If he transfers to like LSU or some shit, he gets forever fuck off status from me.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Does KU have the football marketing chops to get a heisman candidate? I know we have a bunch of snake oil salesman around the athletic department, but that gig is next level gotta have ducks in a row.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:24 pm The fear of course is, in this conspiracy, that someone already has his ear and his contract is set up for bank somewhere else.

If he transfers to like LSU or some shit, he gets forever fuck off status from me.
That seems highly unlikely. There is no competition for starting job here and he could see his benefit to the program through to fruition. It's weird, but staying at KU in football isn't an awful proposition for athletes right now.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:24 pm The fear of course is, in this conspiracy, that someone already has his ear and his contract is set up for bank somewhere else.

I hear you. I think we're a long way off from really understanding who wins and loses in NIL; I think you can make an argument that NIL is democratizing.

The one thing I'm SURE of is that winning matters. If he was a superstar toiling on 3-4 win teams, I'd expect him to jump to a USC or LSU this offseason. But, at this rate, we're going to open as a top-15 team next year. No shortage of eyeballs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think KU is a perfect spot for him as long as Lance is staying too ( which I think he will ).
I just think that $$ can make people choose other less than ideal paths - so we'll see.
He's from Cali - does USC make sense? ( i dunno who they have waiting in the wings )
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:31 pm I think KU is a perfect spot for him as long as Lance is staying too ( which I think he will ).
I just think that $$ can make people choose other less than ideal paths - so we'll see.
He's from Cali - does USC make sense? ( i dunno who they have waiting in the wings )
He's not just from Cali, he's from quite close to USC.

I don't know who they have waiting, either, but (1) Lincoln Riley has a history, and (2) other than the back stuff (which is significant!), who else could they possibly rather have?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:21 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:19 pm It's different, but almost akin to how a lot of players even skip bowl games now. I mean really, if it meant he could make another 500k+ for 2 years (yeah Fish, I know there are no guarantees, but that's not how those decisions are often made), why would he come back to play in a bowl game? Seems really dumb, tbh.

I suppose the counterpoint here is that if you go beat USC or Penn State or Notre Dame or Clemson in a second-tier bowl game...you may well start next season as a (the?) Heisman favorite.
And the counterpoint to that is what if he plays and is a rusty piece of shit? Would that toss his NIL and next-season Heisman chatter in the shitter if he comes back, displaces the backup who got KU to their best season in decades only to go out there and suck?

Sometimes you have more hype from being out of sight.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:31 pm I think KU is a perfect spot for him as long as Lance is staying too ( which I think he will ).
He's not just from Cali, he's from quite close to USC.

I don't know who they have waiting, either, but (1) Lincoln Riley has a history, and (2) other than the back stuff (which is significant!), who else could they possibly rather have?
They have a Five Star QB that committed to Riley at OU. He then decommitted and followed Riley to Usc. He is sitting on the sidelines Red shirt this year.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Don't see JD going anywhere. He has only played three games this year so if is able to come back for bowl game he can play in it and still have two more years. We are lucky we have Bean. He went into the portal but came back here to be back up for last year. This offense is top shelf. You wanna be the KU QB.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I am going to trust LL over Psych to best figure out our starting QB.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

seems reasonable
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?