T-Day

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: T-Day

Post by TDub »

rolls with mashed potatoes stuffed in them in some sort of carb sandwich is the best thing about Thanksgiving. I like the ham, the turkey, the green beans etc. But give me the fucking rolls with a scoop of taters I them and I'm good.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I once had the best cornbread sage dressing ever in Enterprise Kansas. My wife's garlic mash potatos and smoked turkey not to be missed.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Thanksgiving....
Means family to me a lot more than it means a good meal.
Hate is a strong word. I hate traditional Thanksgiving meals. I have total respect for those who enjoy traditional Thanksgiving meals but give me a steak/burger/pizza/fries/onion rings/garlic bread and I am a lot more thankful on Thanksgiving.
I'm not going to do it this Thanksgiving but after my Mother dies, I will start my own "traditional" Thanksgiving and eat all the foods I enjoy and am thankful for.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

At Casa de Overlander, we will be enjoying pollo de suiza enchiladas, black beans, spanish rice and flan for Thanksgiving.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

IMO, a simple Waldorf Salad is a very nice complement to the heaviness of most of the other traditional foods. The colors are nice and the ingredients (apples, celery, walnuts, grapes) are seasonal too.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:47 am IMO, a simple Waldorf Salad is a very nice complement to the heaviness of most of the other traditional foods. The colors are nice and the ingredients (apples, celery, walnuts, grapes) are seasonal too.
I made that one year. No one ate it.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Turkey went back in the freezer today. I've been sick with nasty cough, plugged ears and general grunge for over a month.

I gave up on it, can't do it. Will try for Christmas.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am Turkey went back in the freezer today. I've been sick with nasty cough, plugged ears and general grunge for over a month.

I've had the same thing for almost 3 weeks now.
What gives?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:16 am
jhawks99 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am Turkey went back in the freezer today. I've been sick with nasty cough, plugged ears and general grunge for over a month.

I've had the same thing for almost 3 weeks now.
What gives?
It might be a tumor.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:26 am
DrPepper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:47 am IMO, a simple Waldorf Salad is a very nice complement to the heaviness of most of the other traditional foods. The colors are nice and the ingredients (apples, celery, walnuts, grapes) are seasonal too.
I made that one year. No one ate it.
Throughout my childhood, my mother often made Waldorf Salad. I'm not sure why, but I didn't like it much then, but I do like it now.

One problem I have, which it turned out my wife, who was a very good cook shared, is an aversion to things like raisins and grapes in other foods, primarily due to the texture thing. I like grapes and to a lesser extent raisins fine by themselves, but not in other, especially savory foods.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I do like raisins ( but not too much of em ) in certain coleslaws or even a chicken or tuna salad.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Not a raisin fan.
Mrs. 99 asked me to make it one year and then she didn't like it. Seems the one time she had it, it was very sweet. Mine wasn't and was deemed inferior.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sorry to hear that 99, I'm sure it's a disappointment to you and your family. I hope you get better very soon.

This is as good a place as any to ask, (although you strike me as a man of few words and might not want to), but I'd love to hear you talk about your experience vis-a-vis culinary school, and the decision process behind you becoming a cook, then deciding not to.

My mother made the best dressing I've ever had. Sadly, even before her dementia got so bad, when I asked her for the recipe she didn't have one and couldn't remember it.

This looks very good, although for me, a lot less "giggle" would be preferable. That's because I like my dressing dryish because that texture is preferable, and I let the gravy provide the moisture:

Kenji Lopez-Alt’s Sage and Sausage Stuffing (or Dressing)
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That is very close to my mom's recipe for stuffing. We don't use eggs and we do use Pepperage Farm suffing.

Brown the sausage
Add onion and celery
Cook until soft
Add a halfa ton of butter
I use dried sage
Mix in the bread cubes with stock.

I kind of fell into culinary school.
I was an idiot kid with no direction and had been working in restaurants since I was 16.
I got a job at a new, fancy, white table cloth restaurant right after high school, as a bus boy. The GM went to the same high school I did and suggested I get into the program. Loved it. Went into the kitchen and worked in restaurants until I was about 30, when I decided that working nights, weekends and holidays was not going to be conducive to having a family, and then went back to school to get a real job.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:13 am That is very close to my mom's recipe for stuffing. We don't use eggs and we do use Pepperage Farm suffing.

Brown the sausage
Add onion and celery
Cook until soft
Add a halfa ton of butter
I use dried sage
Mix in the bread cubes with stock.

I kind of fell into culinary school.
I was an idiot kid with no direction and had been working in restaurants since I was 16.
I got a job at a new, fancy, white table cloth restaurant right after high school, as a bus boy. The GM went to the same high school I did and suggested I get into the program. Loved it. Went into the kitchen and worked in restaurants until I was about 30, when I decided that working nights, weekends and holidays was not going to be conducive to having a family, and then went back to school to get a real job.
I appreciate you sharing that. As a former resident of KC I'd love to know the restaurants you worked in over the years, but totally understand why you wouldn't want to name names.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Happy TDay.
What NFL games we watching today?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:24 am Happy TDay.
What NFL games we watching today?
Back at ya.
I'll watch parts of all the games.
Predictions....
Packers 20 Lions 28 I hope both teams lose.
Commanders 16 Cowboys 31 I hope the Cowboys win
49ers 24 Seahawks 21 I hope the 49ers win
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Happy Thanksgiving pdub, et al.

I'm recording all of them but likely won't watch very much of any of them.

bad fan
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Stupid question time.
Is my family the only one that doesn't get together on Thanksgiving until dinner time? Looong day and then a hike to the burbs - and a hike back home. I'm not a fan.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We just spend the night at each others respective houses so we spend the entire day together.

Usually eat around 2:30-3.