F1 Formula One Racing

Other Sports.
Shirley
Contributor

F1 Formula One Racing

Post by Shirley »

I'm not much of a fan of F1 racing, but apparently it's the new big thing. Apparently.

I spend lots of time during the day watching CNBC to keep up with the market, and they're having a one-hour special tonight about the race coming up in Las Vegas this weekend. Watching them, you begin to get FOMO, wondering how you managed to miss out on such a lavish, apocryphal event. Billions and billions of dollar$ are going to be made, and all the beautiful people are going to be there, apparently.

However, if we're to believe this guy, whose entire channel is built around life in Vegas, perhaps things are not all that rosie.

The course is 3 miles long and includes the strip, which is making life hard for a lot of people.

Here's a short about it:

F1 is in trouble

F1 Impact on the Fashion Show Mall

This is much more granular look at how F1 is impacting Vegas, its residents, and tourists in general:

Will F1 Be Worth It For Las Vegas?

'I Hope It Bankrupts Them': Las Vegas Residents Enraged Ahead Of Formula 1 Grand Prix

“Life as I knew it ended when that construction started,” local author Lisa Lindell told Jalopnik.

“The frustration, inconvenience and blatant disdain for residents living in Las Vegas is evident by the lack of information and coordination with everyone except the promoters of this exhibition,” a resident named Celeste, a Vegas local, said. Other conversations with resort workers confirmed that many properties still hadn’t initiated a plan of action for employees to arrive at work during race weekend, only asking them to factor in a three-hour commute time; those conversations took place 10 days before the first on-track practice session for F1 cars...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: F1 Formula One Racing

Post by KUTradition »

as a kid, i always liked open-wheel races and preferred them over nascar

road/street courses always struck me as more difficult and challenging conditions than an oval
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The conditions are more challenging and difficult for the local population, according to the excerpt cut and paste in OP.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm not familiar enough with LV to know, but it looks pretty vacant, to me:

How busy is Vegas for F1 right now? (Thursday afternoon)
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This doesn't look good: (Check out the beginning of this video!)

(Nearly all the media coverage of this that comes up seems to be from overseas, where F1 racing has been a thing for years. It isn't casting LV in a good light, so far.) At least Ferraris are cheap, and expendable...

Hot laps from last night:

Las Vegas' first F1 Grand Prix event has lasted just 9 minutes after a fault with the track meant it was unsafe for drivers to carry on

Las Vegas GP Practice Cancelled After 9 Minutes Due To Track Fault
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not gonna watch the youtube, but i’m assuming that’s the manhole cover issue?

one would think that such things would’ve been checked, and then double and triple checked ahead of time
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:12 pm not gonna watch the youtube, but i’m assuming that’s the manhole cover issue?

one would think that such things would’ve been checked, and then double and triple checked ahead of time
It is the manhole cover issue.

The video shows a pretty good flash of sparks and possibly fire when the Ferrari drives over it and it hit the chassis. The Ferrari goes over it so fast and is then out of view so it's hard to tell.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm trying to figure out what is appealing about watching racing.....really of any sort. Car racing is boring, track outside of sprints are horribly boring, I'd literally rather watch paint dry than watch bike races. watching marathons I believe is actually covered in the Geneva convention as a recognized form of torture.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:13 pm I'm trying to figure out what is appealing about watching racing.....really of any sort. Car racing is boring, track outside of sprints are horribly boring, I'd literally rather watch paint dry than watch bike races. watching marathons I believe is actually covered in the Geneva convention as a recognized form of torture.
Bet on horses and watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3pW7wHFB4Y
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.