Maui Invitational 2023

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Maui Invitational 2023

Post by Back2Lawrence »

AlOerter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:59 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:58 pm I blame no game thread.
You should have started one.
I didn’t get home until 10 min left in game. And I haven’t been cleared to do that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Apparently none of the teams I cheer for can do anything but commit turnovers and suck at offense this week.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I don’t get how he always gets to spend more time on the court than most of his players.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

bad mojo not having a game thread

we’ll loose most every game where we turn it over 18 times

this older squad should know and do better
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Overlander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:29 am I don’t get how he always gets to spend more time on the court than most of his players.
I have never liked him.

After last night I officially hate him with a passion. Especially after the teams had to be separated because he was talking shit to either one of our players or coaches (i have watched the replay on youtube a few times and still can't tell who he was talking to)....but he somehow turned that into a positive for his team and they kicked our ass from that point forward. They were definitely the tougher team last night.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:23 am
Overlander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:29 am I don’t get how he always gets to spend more time on the court than most of his players.
I have never liked him.

After last night I officially hate him with a passion. Especially after the teams had to be separated because he was talking shit to either one of our players or coaches (i have watched the replay on youtube a few times and still can't tell who he was talking to)....but he somehow turned that into a positive for his team and they kicked our ass from that point forward. They were definitely the tougher team last night.
According to Shaka and people who were there, it was one of OUR players being a douchebag and talking shit to him and the Marquette bench that set him off.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

One of Furphy, Timberlake, Jackson, or McDowell HAS to step up today and the rest of the season.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

gonna have to be Furphy or Elmarko

McDowell is gonna be good eventually, and is a good right now for quick rests and a little spark but he's not gonna be a huge contributor this year.

Nothing I've seen from Timberlake convinces me he's able to play at this level. He's also not young, not like he's all the sudden going to "get it" and improve dramatically
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Furphy will figure it out

Timberlake is what he is…if he were more athletic, he’d be able to contribute more elsewhere on the floor when his shot isn’t falling
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Jayhawkerr wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:00 am Never cared for the #1 ranking this early in the season.
I know I'm a broken record, but I get 2018-19 vibes from this team...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

19 ended up starting, what, like 3 true freshmen?

We’re starting 3 program vets, plus the jewel of the portal.

But yea, it sucks that, like 19, this team might have to once again rely on freshman.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Mostly, I mean that we started the season #1, had a painfully thin bench, and got most of our production from a one-and-done transfer who was focused on personal achievement more than the team.

And lost 10 games.

Hope I'm wrong.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think that’s scapegoating Dedric too much.

I was grateful for him that year. We would have lost a whole lot more games yet without him.

Besides, a lot more things went wrong with 19 that we hope and expect won’t with this one: starting center season-ending injury, starting wing season-ending leave of crazy, veteran transfer pg turns out to be borderline unplayable, reserve big gets the ncaa kiss of death, etc.

But yea, we’re thin this year too. And our vets are who they are.

I kinda wonder if we’d benefit more from having shooters to surround Dajuan, or if Dajuan was the kinda dood who could break down the D whenever he wanted.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s also the trend of the team in general, and Dajuan perhaps particularly, not doing well in these next-day games?

You know, like last year against Tennessee.

Fortunately, it’s not like we have a next day against Tennessee to worry about this year, this week, this today, like about 3 hours from now or anything.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(saying that out loud so Dajuan comes out Steph Curry style like the UK game)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:49 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:23 am
I have never liked him.

According to Shaka and people who were there, it was one of OUR players being a douchebag and talking shit to him and the Marquette bench that set him off.
Smart should try acting like a well-paid professional adult instead of the jumpy little twit he is for once.

Marquette played more aggressive and kicked the shit out of KU. Not an altogether bad result for this time of year. Sometimes you listen to a coach tell you what's going to happen if you play soft and unfocused against a good, aggressive team and it goes in one ear and out the other. Now they have it on film what happens to them if they do it. And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to them again later today vs. Tennessee unless KU bucks up and plays with a lot more focus and energy than last night.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:16 am I think that’s scapegoating Dedric too much.

I was grateful for him that year. We would have lost a whole lot more games yet without him.

Besides, a lot more things went wrong with 19 that we hope and expect won’t with this one: starting center season-ending injury, starting wing season-ending leave of crazy, veteran transfer pg turns out to be borderline unplayable, reserve big gets the ncaa kiss of death, etc.

But yea, we’re thin this year too. And our vets are who they are.

I kinda wonder if we’d benefit more from having shooters to surround Dajuan, or if Dajuan was the kinda dood who could break down the D whenever he wanted.
Dedric was the both reason we won and the reason we lost. I don't get that vibe from Dickinson specifically but this roster better be careful that they don't fall into the trap of just standing around waiting for Dickinson to do everything. It's great that we have McCullar and Harris to try to avoid that. Lawson's team didn't have those types of supporting players around him.

Harris doesn't strike me as a "break down the D whenever he wanted" player. He never plays at full speed as he is always scanning. It's a characteristic, not a flaw as it is good sometimes and bad sometimes.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KJ isn't himself, lots on his mind at the moment. Can't blame the guy, I feel for him, but he's not all there in these games.
Just Ledoux it
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

I didn't recognize Smart because he has hair. He seems to be one of the few that can occasionally get the best of Self. I missed the game because it was too late. Probably better that I didn't see it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Cassandra wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:56 am I didn't recognize Smart because he has hair. He seems to be one of the few that can occasionally get the best of Self. I missed the game because it was too late. Probably better that I didn't see it.
He does look pretty different, that's for sure.

And it was smart not to watch the carnage, which seems to have left many KU fans who did with deep emotional scars and PTSD that only a long string of consecutive wins might ameliorate.

What that Shaka Smart and Bill Self squabble in Maui was REALLY about
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas