Sunflower Showdown Late Starting Game Thread. Pdub Approved, but it’s only because we starting 3rd string QB

Kansas Football.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Sunflower Showdown Late Starting Game Thread. Pdub Approved, but it’s only because we starting 3rd string QB

Post by Overlander »

I saw no signs of a 10-1 season
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Sunflower Showdown Late Starting Game Thread. Pdub Approved, but it’s only because we starting 3rd string QB

Post by Shirley »

Cole Ballard discusses KU's offensive performance vs. K-State

Interviewer: When did you know you were starting?

Ballard: I feel like it's pretty much been known all week.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:10 am Cole Ballard discusses KU's offensive performance vs. K-State

Of course it was.
Meanwhile, when was Lance truly transparent about JD during the season when he knew he probably wasn't going to play after the BYU game?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lance has sure rocketed to Bill’s “look, I wouldn’t want anyone else in the world, but with that said…” status.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:10 am Cole Ballard discusses KU's offensive performance vs. K-State

Of course it was.
Meanwhile, when was Lance truly transparent about JD during the season when he knew he probably wasn't going to play after the BYU game?
How do we know that Lance knew JD probably wasn't going to play again after the BYU game? Some things can be known, but some things can't. I'd guess Lance, like us, was hoping he'd return, but with time they learned he couldn't.

There a few certainties in medicine, even in healthy people. It very frequently comes down to our current best, educated guess, because humans are complicated.

If you have something like a fractured bone, that lends itself to a pretty accurate idea of how long it will take to heal. Bones are, relatively speaking, static systems, and we know a lot about the processes involved.

On the other hand, as pdub pointed out many weeks ago in relation to Jalen Daniel's back injury, there are many people walking around with herniated (bulging) discs in their spine, who are doing just fine, who are totally symptom free. Why? What's the difference? Sometimes you can tell but most of the time you can't explain why that is.

Understanding the healing processes in the central nervous system, i.e. head injuries like Bean's, is even more challenging, by a lot.

"Transparency" in either case while desirable, is incredibly difficult, at best.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:22 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 am

Of course it was.
How do we know that Lance knew JD probably wasn't going to play again after the BYU game? Some things can be known, but some things can't. I'd guess Lance, like us, was hoping he'd return, but with time they learned he couldn't.

There a few certainties in medicine, even in healthy people. It very frequently comes down to our current best, educated guess, because humans are complicated.

If you have something like a fractured bone, that lends itself to a pretty accurate idea of how long it will take to heal. Bones are, relatively speaking, static systems, and we know a lot about the processes involved.

On the other hand, as pdub pointed out many weeks ago in relation to Jalen Daniel's back injury, there are many people walking around with herniated (bulging) discs in their spine, who are doing just fine, who are totally symptom free. Why? What's the difference? Sometimes you can tell but most of the time you can't explain why that is.

Understanding the healing processes in the central nervous system, i.e. head injuries like Bean's, is even more challenging, by a lot.

"Transparency" in either case while desirable, is incredibly difficult, at best.
It’s also just true that successful coaches are control freaks who obsess over stacking insanely incremental advantages until they add up to a less-insanely-but-still-insanely incremental advantage. And making the other guy spend time preparing for two quarterbacks is the sort of thing these control freaks do.

I think it’s probably the case that that fans are really just lashing out - understandably - at their own whiplash and disappointment in how things went. And yeah, when you’re looking at a 7 or 8 win season and seeing one that very very very reasonably could have been 10+ (and a Big 12 title game berth)…yeah. This feels like a missed opportunity.

But the silver lining of that cloud is how fucking much went WRONG and yet here we are. That speaks to the foundation Lance has built. The fundamental, boring competence that even gets him to where he’s blasted for screwing up, with a third string QB, a very winnable game against KSU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Let’s put the shoe on the other foot.
Do we think if ksu was down to their third string quarterback they’d have been competitive vs our hypothetical healthy Jalon Daniels?

I don’t.
surly

Post by surly »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:11 am Let’s put the shoe on the other foot.
Do we think if ksu was down to their third string quarterback they’d have been competitive vs our hypothetical healthy Jalon Daniels?

I don’t.
k-state's third string quarterback is 4* jake rubley. so yes, they would have been competitive. that's really the difference between these teams, depth. by the way, there was nothing i enjoy about the game other than the ending.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/j ... 80?view=pv
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Time to wave the wheat for tmcats?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KU fans in regards to Lance Liepold after going 2-0 against Oklahoma and ISU.....

KU fans in regards to Lance Liepold after going 0-2 against Texas Tech and KSU.....

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

surly wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:30 am
pdub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:11 am Let’s put the shoe on the other foot.

I don’t.
k-state's third string quarterback is 4* jake rubley. so yes, they would have been competitive. that's really the difference between these teams, depth. by the way, there was nothing i enjoy about the game other than the ending.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/j ... 80?view=pv
no one cares
And I disagree.
We woulda stomped y’all.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

As much as it annoys me, KSU football has a knack for coaching up their players and the program seems to have a system/culture in place to where it would surprise me if they weren't competitive no matter who they throw out there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we fucked this up with fumbled punts and dropped pick sixes with our backup backup. We coulda won.

Now imagine they had to play their third string QB and we had Daniels.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we woulda won by double digits.

Gotta play the hand you’re dealt and blah blah blah but we sure haven’t had the best of luck this year.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

The sun came up this morning. The world didn't end. Now let's grind Cinci to dust, get invited to a good bowl game, win it, and finish 9 and 4.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:51 am I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we fucked this up with fumbled punts and dropped pick sixes with our backup backup. We coulda won.

Now imagine they had to play their third string QB and we had Daniels.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we woulda won by double digits.

Gotta play the hand you’re dealt and blah blah blah but we sure haven’t had the best of luck this year.
I think your point speaks for itself - it took a lot going WRONG for us to lose … with our 3rd string quarterback.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Much like basketball, it's the most fun when both teams are good. KU has caught the injury bug this year at QB.

LL is the man. He's done a great job at KU so far, and hopefully will continue to do so for many years to come.