Blue Bloods

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Blue Bloods

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:11 am
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 pm If you want to be technical...Kansas Carolina, Kentucky are tier 1. And no one else is allowed, can't get there.
I think Blue Blood status is a composite of history, success, indispensability, passion and trajectory.

So, I can’t argue much with your view!

In my opinion, UCONN (like Villanova) doesn’t have the history.

Indiana fails for contemporary success and trajectory.

UCLA fails for passion.

If we allow Duke in the club, I think it would be on some sort of probationary basis. I think you have to be able to do it with multiple coaches - I think that is a hard requirement. And we just don’t know yet with Scheyer.
Indiana's recent lack of mattering is certainly putting them in jeopardy. 2002 was their only trip past the Sweet Sixteen since 1993. KU has made 11 Elite Eights since '93 for reference. I can't even imagine having that little success to cheer for over a 30 year period.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

tier 1:
KU
uk
unc

tier 2a:
duke
uconn

tier 2b:
ucla
iu

i honestly don’t think anyone else comes close to qualifying for the discussion
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:38 am
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 pm If you want to be technical...Kansas Carolina, Kentucky are tier 1. And no one else is allowed, can't get there.
I think Blue Blood status is a composite of history, success, indispensability, passion and trajectory.

UCLA fails for passion.

If we allow Duke in the club, I think it would be on some sort of probationary basis. I think you have to be able to do it with multiple coaches - I think that is a hard requirement. And we just don’t know yet with Scheyer.
Indiana's recent lack of mattering is certainly putting them in jeopardy. 2002 was their only trip past the Sweet Sixteen since 1993. KU has made 11 Elite Eights since '93 for reference. I can't even imagine having that little success to cheer for over a 30 year period.
All I can say to this is: don't think it can't happen to us. Bill building a Platinum Age squarely on top of a Golden Era, which was built squarely on top of a championship regime in its own right...is incredibly, exceedingly, preposterously fortunate.

Now, I would argue that there's an enormous institutional component to that - this is why history and indispensability and passion matter. They are what establish your floor.

But for Roy to surpass Larry, and then for Bill to surpass Roy...holy motherforking shirtballs, that's remarkable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:34 am

UCLA fails for passion.

Duke made one tourney prior to 1960. Their success in making three Final Fours and a title game in the 60s is the only thing that keeps them from being truly a one-coach program. I've officially talked myself out of including them to my list, thank you for the assist!
For all we know, Duke isn't really much more than a Super-Syracuse-in-Seersucker.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:54 am

UCLA fails for passion.

All I can say to this is: don't think it can't happen to us. Bill building a Platinum Age squarely on top of a Golden Era, which was built squarely on top of a championship regime in its own right...is incredibly, exceedingly, preposterously fortunate.

Now, I would argue that there's an enormous institutional component to that - this is why history and indispensability and passion matter. They are what establish your floor.

But for Roy to surpass Larry, and then for Bill to surpass Roy...holy motherforking shirtballs, that's remarkable.
8 coaches in 125 years is utterly remarkable as well.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:05 am

8 coaches in 125 years is utterly remarkable as well.
Yeah. I didn't land on this word earlier, but maybe I should have: continuity.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The term "blue blood" originally referred to royals. Nobles did not have to work in the sun thus their blue blood veins showed through their fair white skin. Asking who the "royalty" of college basketball is might change the criteria somewhat.
Just some fun semantics for discussion's sake.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:09 pm The term "blue blood" originally referred to royals. Nobles did not have to work in the sun thus their blue blood veins showed through their fair white skin. Asking who the "royalty" of college basketball is might change the criteria somewhat.
Just some fun semantics for discussion's sake.
Sure, let's run with it (obviously setting aside some, ah, problematic implications of the etymology).

I think this is historical support for the notion that a one-coach program cannot be considered a Blue Blood, in that part of "Blue Blood" means, historically, something that is powerful enough to sustain itself.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

UCLA fails for passion.

Every program is a bad hire away from mediocrity. I think it would be tolerated and corrected quicker at KU than at most schools and that they'd be more willing to throw big money at it to correct it but yeah, I know. We are insanely spoiled with how replacing Ted Owens, Larry Brown and Roy Williams worked out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Every program is a bad hire away from mediocrity. I think it would be tolerated and corrected quicker at KU than at most schools and that they'd be more willing to throw big money at it to correct it but yeah, I know. We are insanely spoiled with how replacing Ted Owens, Larry Brown and Roy Williams worked out.
I think so. But I also think we have to be prepared to accept a reality where something like Bill's middle-tier seasons become the next guy's upper-tier seasons. And so on.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we are good to go with our next hire:

if we have to hire in the next year or so. it will be scott drew.

if we have to hire in the 2-5 years. it will be shaka.

if our next hire is after HCBS has retired on his own timeline. it will be jeremy case.

so our concern would be. the hire after our next hire.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:03 pm we are good to go with our next hire:

if our next hire is after HCBS has retired on his own timeline. it will be jeremy case.

I think this is way, way off base in each of those three scenarios.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

WTF?!? Scott Drew will never be offered this job. He is not the kind of person that should be the HC at Kansas. Frankly, both he and Smart are snively little fucking dweebs.

OK, not worth my heart rate increase to pursue this further. Walking away now...
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:08 pm

both he and Smart are snively little fucking dweebs.
Makes it easy to see why Mich fawns so heavily over them both.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I really liked Magnum in the show, but I could probably do without Marky Mark's brother.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:08 pm He is not the kind of person that should be the HC at Kansas.
HCLB. HCRW. HCBS. they all seem like very different "kind of people." they all won a ton of games at KU. past that. they all seem like different "kind of people."
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:58 pm I also think we have to be prepared to accept a reality where something like Bill's middle-tier seasons become the next guy's upper-tier seasons. And so on.
Roi was great, but, over the long run, this describes his tenure here.

I honestly thought the Mayor was being groomed as a possible replacement: his daughter worked for Self when she was a student; he and Self are friends; he taught Self the 4-out offense, etc. Then...he went and took the job at the school where good coaches go to watch their careers die.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:08 pm He is not the kind of person that should be the HC at Kansas.
HCLB. HCRW. HCBS. they all seem like very different "kind of people." they all won a ton of games at KU. past that. they all seem like different "kind of people."
Hopefully we've got a few more years before we have to worry about it.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

We have upgraded coaching 3 straight times at KU.

I can't name another school that has.

I also cannot imagine an upgrade over HCBS.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:00 pm We have upgraded coaching 3 straight times at KU.

I can't name another school that has.

I also cannot imagine an upgrade over HCBS.
Because there isn't one. He is going to have as strong an argument as anyone for GOAT, when he hangs it up.