KU FB offseason

Kansas Football.
hartjack8
Contributor

KU FB offseason

Post by hartjack8 »

Well the portal is open!! KU has been surprisingly quiet which is really really good. Typical team has ten plus in portal. The team that wears Purple has 15. We had two until yesterday.
Gage Keys entered the portal. Gage is a DL that played the 13 most snaps on the defense. He was a transfer we got from Minnesota ly which is also where we got Booker. Gage is a graduate transfer so good to go and has two more years of eligibility.

This is ughh no bueno.

Anyways the other two in portal are Will Huggins TE and Tanaka Scott WR.

We have a new player from the portal TE DeShawn Hanika Iowa State.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: KU FB offseason

Post by Shirley »

Thanks for the info!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

So we have 16 HS commits that should sign with us on DEC 20th, all ballers and probably the best recruiting class in forever. Six are going to be early enrollees which means they coming right away. From what I see we losing 16 for sure to no more eligibility. We actually had 85 on scholarship. I know right remember the Fat Boy and Beaty years where we had like 70. We can thank Les for a lot of it.

So we even and one transfer out means one transfer in.

On offense we lose center Mike Novitsky, LT Bryce Cabeldue and TE Mason Fairchild all key players. We got plug and play TE from portal and may look for OT but roster has candidates to cover.

On Defense. First off the improvement in the defense was huge. We are losing Miller and Young lb's and Kenny Logan Safety.

Now Kenny is our leading Tackler for the last four years. Now when your safety is your leading tackler it means your lb's well they (I will let Gutter explain). So our #1 need is linebacker!!!
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

We do have a five players that could decide to move on to like the NFL.

On offense we have the MAYOR Neal and Hishaw our great RB duo.

On defense we have CB's Mello and Cobee as well as DE Booker.

Mello has already decided he is coming back. The rest seem to be trending to returning as well.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would like to see Cobee run a few offensive patterns like Talib in the bowl game. I think he and Booker would be drafted fairly high; but I am sure they are getting good feedback. Any word if Bean will play in the Senior Bowl or other scouting venues?.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:41 am I would like to see Cobee run a few offensive patterns like Talib in the bowl game. I think he and Booker would be drafted fairly high; but I am sure they are getting good feedback. Any word if Bean will play in the Senior Bowl or other scouting venues?.
Dominick Puni is the only Senior Bowl invite that has been accepted for KU so far. I think Bean needs to start the bowl and show out go from there. Bowl game going to be interesting cause first game without OC Andy. New OC Grimes is observing bowl practices but not implementing anything new. Coach Z Co-OC is calling plays for bowl game.

Jahsiah Galvan (Northern Iowa linebacker), Alex Howard (Youngstown State linebacker), Bangally Kamara (Pittsburgh linebacker) are players that KU is looking at in the portal.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i appreciate these posts, hartjack
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 am i appreciate these posts, hartjack
^^^
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Shirley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:29 am
KUTradition wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 am i appreciate these posts, hartjack
^^^
This.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JayhawkSlant
@JayhawkSlant
·
30m
Can confirm Deshawn Warner (@DeshawnWarner15) has signed with KU. Been covering the program since 1999 and he's one of the most explosive DE to ink with the Jayhawks. #kufball

Anand Giridharadas
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Today is signing day!! All quiet and smooth for KU. This is an awesome class and includes the #1 ranked recruit in forever Deshawn Warner DE. We also picked up Grimes who's dad is new OC and flipped from Baylor.

Portal news. We have two new commits, Safety Devin Dye and DE Dylan Wudke. Devin is older brother of Jalen who is safety already on roster and the both are the sons of Jermaine Dye who played outfield for the Royals, This is a depth move with the loss of Kenny.

DE Wudke is again a depth move with the loss of Joyner and Hatcher at DE,

We did lose Keys to Auburn which seems was a NIL deal.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

hartjack8 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:06 am Today is signing day!! All quiet and smooth for KU. This is an awesome class and includes the #1 ranked recruit in forever Deshawn Warner DE. We also picked up Grimes who's dad is new OC and flipped from Baylor.

Portal news. We have two new commits, Safety Devin Dye and DE Dylan Wudke. Devin is older brother of Jalen who is safety already on roster and the both are the sons of Jermaine Dye who played outfield for the Royals, This is a depth move with the loss of Kenny.

DE Wudke is again a depth move with the loss of Joyner and Hatcher at DE,

We did lose Keys to Auburn which seems was a NIL deal.
Wow, Jermaine Dye was a baller!
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yeah, it makes me feel old to see the kids of all these athletes I have watched over the years now playing. The bowl game last night was Chad Pennington's son as the QB vs. Josh McCown's son as the other QB.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:50 am Yeah, it makes me feel old to see the kids of all these athletes I have watched over the years now playing. The bowl game last night was Chad Pennington's son as the QB vs. Josh McCown's son as the other QB.
It doesn't get better...
Anand Giridharadas
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Super impressed so far with KU and how we working the portal and NIL. KU is not out there trying to get players with NIL money. They are retaining players and keeping their roster with NIL money.

There was the first wave of players in the portal after the season. Their will be a second wave after bowl season. Bowl season is not what it use to be. You are in the playoffs or you are not. If you are not then the bowl is to see what you have going in to next year. Both those 2nd generation QB's were freshman that they wanted to see what they have and build the future. KU's bowl game will be to see if the players we have is what we need for next year. Watch the OL cause we need to replace a few but they should already be here.

There is dead period in recruiting now. Opens back up in January. We are sitting at 2 over for scholarships next year so we going to have more movement. We didn't get a LB.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Logan Brantley is a LB signee--do you mean portal guy?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sounds like KU did not lose a single verbal commit despite their OC leaving the program. All their verbal commits signed today. That's a pretty impressive achievement by Leipold and staff.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Enjoying watching their film snippets too
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am Logan Brantley is a LB signee--do you mean portal guy?
Yes was talking about portal needs, Logan was in ly class.

This year we got Jonathan Kamara and JACOREY STEWART both should be good.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas