Re: KU FB offseason

Post by pdub »

I'm not trying to trick anyone.
I'm trying to find the best solution.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

So Booker has officially declared for draft. Which unfortunately leaves a gapping whole in this defense. Ly we lost Lonnie but we had some other returning WDE and we portaled Booker. Now we losing Booker, Hatcher as well as Joyner. No bueno.

There were two things I was particularly watching in the bowl game. LT without Punni and the pass rush without Booker. Different ways for DC to put pressure on QB but the standard in a 4-3 defense is it comes from the 4. In the 4 typically the WDE is your best pass rusher. Say the 3-4 defense then it's usually the OLB. I was looking at Dylan Brooks who we got from the portal and could have slide in and replaced Booker. Did not perform at a Lonnie/Booker level.

So we have taken a SDE in the portal already Dylan Wudke but I think we going to portal another WDE for next year.

The good news is we have two awesome WDE HS recruits coming. One of them Brinkley is early enroll but is rehabbing knee. The other Warner is currently playing in the HS All-American bowl. So we have two on the way we just need to buy a year for them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Seems like another Lance extension might be in the offing.

So here's another (thankfully) crazy one.

Right this second, who is more essential? Bill, or Lance?

I don't think it's an obvious call one way or the other.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bill.

Kansas is a basketball school.

Stop the madness.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:10 am Bill.

Kansas is a basketball school.

Stop the madness.
Ok.

The counter would be that basketball has the critical mass to stay somewhat-close to where it is. Basketball is also largely irrelevant to the realignment endgame, which is coming.

Football would almost certainly go to zero, at the worst possible time. That could very well diminish basketball WAY more than Bill leaving.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Bill Self is more important to the University of Kansas than Lance Liepold is.
More than twice as important.
At least according to one major factor.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I love LL as much as the next guy, but a few good years hasn't changed KUs conference realignment situation all that much.

And for KU in particular basketball does absolutely matter when evaluating what side of the realignment coin we fall on. Without our basketball history a few good years of football would mean even less.

I like our realignment situation.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the BIG 12 is going nowhere.

the BIG 12 is here to stay.

the BIG 12 has won conference realignment.

the BIG 12 is my favorite.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am the BIG 12 is going nowhere.

This is all about as accurate as your prediction that Case will be our next basketball coach.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:53 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am the BIG 12 is going nowhere.

This is all about as accurate as your prediction that Case will be our next basketball coach.
I mean, it's not totally out of the question. Case might be ready by the time Self retires.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:50 am I love LL as much as the next guy, but a few good years hasn't changed KUs conference realignment situation all that much.

And for KU in particular basketball does absolutely matter when evaluating what side of the realignment coin we fall on. Without our basketball history a few good years of football would mean even less.

This is a no.

What people are missing is that in conference realignment end game you are either in or out. If you are on the outside you out. Which will be tragic because our great basketball history will have a hard time continuing on the outside. Their is a reason the UCONN, Zags of the world are trying desperately to get a position at the table.

Conference realignment is some scary stuff for schools on outside. Just ask Oregon St and Wash ST.
The Pac 12 disappeared in a day. The ACC could have they just needed one more school to walk.
The ACC was one vote short on blowing up so they moved quickly and added Smu, Cal and Stanford.
The ACC has schools that are 100% in the end game. They just added three schools that are out so the other schools that are out could try to hold the schools that are in hostage. LOL

Now what is left in the Big12 is 100% in the out, the schools that could get in went and got in.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:33 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:50 am I love LL as much as the next guy, but a few good years hasn't changed KUs conference realignment situation all that much.

This is a no.

What people are missing is that in conference realignment end game you are either in or out. If you are on the outside you out. Which will be tragic because our great basketball history will have a hard time continuing on the outside. Their is a reason the UCONN, Zags of the world are trying desperately to get a position at the table.

Conference realignment is some scary stuff for schools on outside. Just ask Oregon St and Wash ST.
The Pac 12 disappeared in a day. The ACC could have they just needed one more school to walk.
The ACC was one vote short on blowing up so they moved quickly and added Smu, Cal and Stanford.
The ACC has schools that are 100% in the end game. They just added three schools that are out so the other schools that are out could try to hold the schools that are in hostage. LOL

Now what is left in the Big12 is 100% in the out, the schools that could get in went and got in.
KU will be in (*is the assumption my opinions are based on).

I agree with what you're saying about those schools and conferences. I just think this "end game" looks different.

I think it could end up being 40ish teams *for football). If so, KU is in, probably right?

I also think the football impact to basketball will be minimal. I don't see why basketball as a whole needs to change for football. All of it can be seprated and negotiated individually by sport.

I could be totally wrong....but if it's 20 or 30 schools and based solely on football then LL may not have enough time to be the savior anyway. Tough to crack that top 20.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the end game is three 20-25 team conferences. the BIG 12 will be one of the three.

or

one 60-70 team national conference. broken into regions.

either way. KU and the BIG 12 will be just fine. really fine.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 pm

This is a no.

I agree with what you're saying about those schools and conferences. I just think this "end game" looks different.

I think it could end up being 40ish teams *for football). If so, KU is in, probably right?

I also think the football impact to basketball will be minimal. I don't see why basketball as a whole needs to change for football. All of it can be seprated and negotiated individually by sport.

I could be totally wrong....but if it's 20 or 30 schools and based solely on football then LL may not have enough time to be the savior anyway. Tough to crack that top 20.
These are my thoughts as well.

The HAVES in CFB will always be the HAVES, regardless of whatever conference they play in.
And that field is a good 25 deep.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 pm

This is a no.

I also think the football impact to basketball will be minimal. I don't see why basketball as a whole needs to change for football. All of it can be separated and negotiated individually by sport.

There is a separation right now in Basketball and Football. The Money. The reason this is driven by football is the schools and conferences get all the money from Football. The NCAA gets nada.
Now in Basketball that is flipped the NCAA gets all the money from the March Madness Tourney. They do dole out some to the schools and the conferences but they keep a nice pile. You see the rub.

So say the end game two super conferences who have no real reason not to tell the NCAA clowns pound salt. They then create their own March Madness and get the Billion Dollars a year that goes with that.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

there might be 1 super conf. there might be 2. there might be 3. no matter the #. it will include all the BIG 12 schools.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:00 pm there might be 1 super conf. there might be 2. there might be 3. no matter the #. it will include all the BIG 12 schools.
No, it won't. That's the problem - and why it's so critical that we do football right over the near-to-medium term.

If we have a decent football program, we'll be comfortably above the cut line. Until Lance, we were very very very close to being on the cut line.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:04 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:00 pm there might be 1 super conf. there might be 2. there might be 3. no matter the #. it will include all the BIG 12 schools.
Until Lance, we were very very very close to being on the cut line.
100% this. Another reason we need to recognize he IS a huge part of our eventual landing spot.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

This is basic economics. When you add to a entity you want added value. The addition makes the entity more valuable. So when the SEC added UT and OU they became more valuable. But when the ACC added Cal, SMU and Stanford it just diluted the ACC. There was no actual added value. Now what the Big12 did was survive for another day. There is a reason the Big10 took Oregon and Washington but left out OSU and WSU.

We should end up ok.
The Football team is doing fantastic. We have a coach. We winning. We going to Bowls.

WE BUILDING A NEW STADIUM. Which shows the world we serious about football.

All these things should get us across the line.

I mean as long as we do not do something stupid. You know something like PLAY OUR HOME GAMES AT SOME FREAKING 15K SEATING SOCCER STADIUM instead of the beautiful NFL football stadium. LOL

I'm just joking around but I'M laughing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:40 pm This is basic economics. When you add to a entity you want added value. The addition makes the entity more valuable. So when the SEC added UT and OU they became more valuable. But when the ACC added Cal, SMU and Stanford it just diluted the ACC. There was no actual added value. Now what the Big12 did was survive for another day. There is a reason the Big10 took Oregon and Washington but left out OSU and WSU.

We should end up ok.
The Football team is doing fantastic. We have a coach. We winning. We going to Bowls.

WE BUILDING A NEW STADIUM. Which shows the world we serious about football.

All these things should get us across the line.

I mean as long as we do not do something stupid. You know something like PLAY OUR HOME GAMES AT SOME FREAKING 15K SEATING SOCCER STADIUM instead of the beautiful NFL football stadium. LOL

I'm just joking around but I'M laughing.
You're joking, but also making pdub's and my point for us. Playing in a quiet, half-full stadium is NOT something that will communicate that we serious.