KU FB offseason

Kansas Football.
hartjack8
Contributor

Re: KU FB offseason

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:58 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:50 pm I think you’d loose some money over the season ( at Mercy ) but I think some would be made up with higher demand/ticket prices.
I would hope the difference is irrelevant; in my opinion, we should be doing what's best for the program's medium- and long-term health. In my book, those goals are better served playing in a full, half-sized stadium (as opposed to a half-full, 150%-sized stadium).
Umm...... so Arrowhead is smaller than 90% of the SEC stadiums. But instead of thinking what is the best place for the Ku football team to play its best football you'all thinking 7=0 KU hosting TCU should be played at a soccer field with less than 20k. WE building the MO and you selling us short with your less than 20k soccer stadium.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm I disagree.
A wide swath of empty seats looks worse than a completely packed house.
Have you all been to the Wizards stadium?
Why does it matter how it "looks"? They list total attendance for each game. People would know how many fans were there.

BWW Chad's don't matter. They also don't watch much KU football.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My opinion - and of course that’s all it is - is that the TV product is much better with a small but full stadium. And the TV product is the recruiting and fundraising product.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:13 pm My opinion - and of course that’s all it is - is that the TV product is much better with a small but full stadium. And the TV product is the recruiting and fundraising product.
The TV product, ok now we talking. So how many football games have been televised at Arrowhead? Lets say versus another venue like Chase Field?? You know the field that we just played our bowl game. That had to be the most brutal televised production of all time. You probably not aware but that is not a football stadium. Do not think it is humanly possible for a game at your soccer stadium to be at a level of production at a NFL stadium.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Oh I see the playing at a half filled stadium argument yet again you selling KU short. If we play to expectations we will have home games late in the season that if promoted correctly could fill up that stadium. Then say the following season we open up the new stadium and it is 100% sold out.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:54 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm I disagree.
A wide swath of empty seats looks worse than a completely packed house.
Have you all been to the Wizards stadium?
Why does it matter how it "looks"? They list total attendance for each game. People would know how many fans were there.

BWW Chad's don't matter. They also don't watch much KU football.
Well if you had read earlier posts where I mentioned the cavernous effect of an empty AND QUIET Arrowhead when attending Wizards games you’d know how significantly it affects game atmosphere…that’s something that BWW Chads don’t care about but players and coaches do.

To be honest, players also notice how a stadium looks too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:55 pm Oh I see the playing at a half filled stadium argument yet again you selling KU short. If we play to expectations we will have home games late in the season that if promoted correctly could fill up that stadium. Then say the following season we open up the new stadium and it is 100% sold out.
No way.
Not unless we are undefeated and fighting for a playoff spot v another highly ranked team.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:56 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:55 pm Oh I see the playing at a half filled stadium argument yet again you selling KU short. If we play to expectations we will have home games late in the season that if promoted correctly could fill up that stadium. Then say the following season we open up the new stadium and it is 100% sold out.
No way.
Not unless we are undefeated and fighting for a playoff spot v another highly ranked team.
It takes a BCS- or playoff-level KU team to fill our on-campus stadium that holds 50k. I think average attendance at Arrowhead would be in the 30-40k range until the stakes are down to what you’re saying.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:44 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:13 pm My opinion - and of course that’s all it is - is that the TV product is much better with a small but full stadium. And the TV product is the recruiting and fundraising product.
The TV product, ok now we talking. So how many football games have been televised at Arrowhead? Lets say versus another venue like Chase Field?? You know the field that we just played our bowl game. That had to be the most brutal televised production of all time. You probably not aware but that is not a football stadium. Do not think it is humanly possible for a game at your soccer stadium to be at a level of production at a NFL stadium.
I think now you’re selling things short. Televising a football season at a pro soccer stadium is much easier than televising a one-off football game at a pro baseball stadium.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:11 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:44 pm
I think now you’re selling things short. Televising a football season at a pro soccer stadium is much easier than televising a one-off football game at a pro baseball stadium.
This.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:10 pm
No way.
It takes a BCS- or playoff-level KU team to fill our on-campus stadium that holds 50k. I think average attendance at Arrowhead would be in the 30-40k range until the stakes are down to what you’re saying.
And 30k in an 80k will be an empty experience compared to a 21k in a 21k.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Again, I’d say you should need to have experienced Arrowhead with 20 to 30k fans and then Mercy with 21k.

Worlds of difference.

AFH rules.
Put those same number of fans in memorial stadium and hypothetically close the roof and it’s also a world of difference…but similar to the percentages/scenario here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:18 pm

No way.
I would say that 50k in an 80k will be a bad TV product and live experience. And I just don’t see how we’ll draw MORE at Arrowhead than on campus.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We will have to be ranked top 10 I think to get 50k at Arrowhead.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hopefully games can be played in Lawrence. There is a chance with a mild winter they could have enough of the work done, right?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 pm Hopefully games can be played in Lawrence. There is a chance with a mild winter they could have enough of the work done, right?
If I understand right, it’s that the plumbing work is much more complex than anticipated. If they’ve already winterized, they’re probably stuck.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The number of vehicles going across the bridge to get on I70 suggest there are lots and lots of people coming in from points East, most Johnson County, presumably (many of these people will no doubt go back to taking K-10 to 23rd now that the 23rd street construction is done).

I'm assuming there will be lots and lots of busses taking students to the games. The Magic Party Buses is probably hoping in a big way for a full slate at Arrowhead (although they'd probably do just as well with Children's Mercy).

I guess I just don't get the OKness of playing in Missouri for an entire season. Ewwwwwww.

Even the Chargers played for a couple years in a soccer stadium waiting for Kroenke World to open up.

Heck, have some donor give a few million dollars to offset the 'lost' ticket sales at memorial, and name something after them. I don't think the deep pockets have all been tapped.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:18 pm

No way.
Pretty sure we averaging over 40k fans the last two years. We have sold out the Booth 7 of the last 12 games. We ain't the same football program you are used to. Instead of taking it to another level you would suggest playing at a soccer stadium that holds 18,327. Look just cause you went to a Wizards soccer game that had 9k fans in Arrowhead and you didn't like the feel of it does not transcend to KU playing their home games there for one year.

Now the playing in the state of Mizzery I kinda agree with cause you know its Mizzery.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Wizards stadium can hold 21k.

I think the attendance numbers for games could drop. Maybe not to 30k but 40k is not unreasonable.
I went to Wizards games at Arrowhead with 20k+. I went to a USA WC qualifier with 40k.

None of those compared to the atmosphere of a full packed Mercy.

The only things that have compared at Arrowhead are the Chiefs games i've been to and the KU Mizzou games which were 70k+.

It's just such a big stadium.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

You're not wrong (arrowhead is a huge stadium, and soccer games there are "weird" noise wise)....but either way, we aren't going to trick anyone into thinking it's an SEC type atmosphere by packing 21k into a soccer stadium.

I don't have a strong opinion either way I guess. A combo of venues could work. It's one season. I don't think it'll have much impact on perception of the program or outcome of the games.