KU FB offseason

Kansas Football.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: KU FB offseason

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Some bush league (amateurish) shit right here from our Chancellor......

But now, Girod said he’s learning that the disruptions may be greater than he personally envisioned when the original idea of playing in the under-construction stadium was first presented. For example, he said the construction work on the west side of the stadium will significantly impact water service to the east side of the stadium.

“There is some complexity that I certainly was not privy to,” Girod said.

“We don’t have a lot of options.”

“There is not a simple answer to any of this, unfortunately".

There’s also one other issue that likely will be on the mind of merchants and students alike: Commencement ceremonies.
“That is still a go,” Girod told the Journal-World. “That is non-negotiable. If that slows us down, it slows us down.”

https://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/2023/ ... t-a-month/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:46 am Pretty bad timing considering we could have our best team since the Orange Bowl if Daniels ends up healthy.
I remember a poster who wanted BB to move to Overland Park.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Another OL is in the portal. Spencer Lovell jumped in the portal. The portal closes today but it takes awhile before it updates.

Seems Booker going pro which is exactly what Lonnie did. Transferred played one year did good went pro. Eventually the way we are recruiting we won't need the portal especially at this position but we going to need a Booker/Lonnie type next year.

So the rules are 85 schoolies starting in fall. We have 10 HS players not showing up till then so it is possible that we could grab players out of portal and then later figure it out. There is another portal later after spring practice.

Just a guess but some of the OL movement could be Grimes. Was watching the impact of Coach Andy on recruiting and players overall and it was minimal. Coach Grimes is a level up.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The other stadium option being thrown around is to play at Children's Mercy. The problem with that is it's under 20k. But way closer to Lawrence, and IN KANSAS. All of this SHOULD only be for one season if they complete raze memorial and build anew. (which it looks like they are doing).

Seriously, playing in Missouri would be tragic. I don't really get into the Mizzou hatred, but I do understand the rivalry and reasons for disliking. To benefit Missouri in such a way would be pure folly and against every thought any Kansas fan should have.

Except. Money. See: Bill Self eating a Baconator.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:06 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:46 am Pretty bad timing considering we could have our best team since the Orange Bowl if Daniels ends up healthy.

I miss Leawood.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:54 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:06 pm

I miss Leawood.
^^^

He loved periodically reviving his let's move Allen Field House to Lenexa ruse.

You could count on a poster or two taking him seriously, and the fun was on.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:31 am The other stadium option being thrown around is to play at Children's Mercy. The problem with that is it's under 20k. But way closer to Lawrence, and IN KANSAS. All of this SHOULD only be for one season if they complete raze memorial and build anew. (which it looks like they are doing).

Seriously, playing in Missouri would be tragic. I don't really get into the Mizzou hatred, but I do understand the rivalry and reasons for disliking. To benefit Missouri in such a way would be pure folly and against every thought any Kansas fan should have.

Except. Money. See: Bill Self eating a Baconator.
To me, the state line thing should be a tiebreaker only.

What concerns me more is atmosphere and look/feel. My biggest objection to Arrowhead isn't tax dollars going to Missouri, but the prospect of playing our biggest season in 20 years in front of a half-full stadium.

I'm not sure Children's Mercy is a great option given uncertainty over Sporting's schedule. But I would move heaven and earth - and even game days - to make that work unless I was CERTAIN we would somehow draw 60k+ to Arrowhead.

And that doesn't seem realistic.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't know the exact makeup of KU attendees but I'm guessing % wise KU gets most of their crowd from Lawrence and Lawrence adjacent areas ( students included ).

Student attendance is going to suffer regardless but i'd guess it'd suffer more for the trip to Arrowhead. And while you might get more KC area KU fans going to the Arrowhead games, I don't think it'd be enough to cover the loss of Lawrence area adjacents who wouldn't make the trip over.

When the Wizards played in Arrowhead, even the biggest games, say attendance of 20k, would feel cavernous. It was just weird. I know KU would get more than that but 35k would be pretty brutal.

Give me a sell out every game of blue in Childrens Mercy. The acoustics work wonders. The park is modern. And it's in Kansas. Charge double for the top 20% of seats - the richies can cover the possible lost cost.

I don't know anything about the logistics of alternating but maybe that could be a possibility?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The general vibe I have gotten from my KU student kid is that students don't want to go all the way to Arrowhead. Some don't have cars and many don't want to risk driving drunk.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sure there will be limited shuttles provided by KU athletics but it won't be enough to support what i'd guess would be 5 to 8k students.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:27 am I don't know the exact makeup of KU attendees but I'm guessing % wise KU gets most of their crowd from Lawrence and Lawrence adjacent areas ( students included ).

Student attendance is going to suffer regardless but i'd guess it'd suffer more for the trip to Arrowhead. And while you might get more KC area KU fans going to the Arrowhead games, I don't think it'd be enough to cover the loss of Lawrence area adjacents who wouldn't make the trip over.

When the Wizards played in Arrowhead, even the biggest games, say attendance of 20k, would feel cavernous. It was just weird. I know KU would get more than that but 35k would be pretty brutal.

Give me a sell out every game of blue in Childrens Mercy. The acoustics work wonders. The park is modern. And it's in Kansas. Charge double for the top 20% of seats - the richies can cover the possible lost cost.

I don't know anything about the logistics of alternating but maybe that could be a possibility?
I agree 100%. I would rather have 21,000/21,000 than 35,000/70,000. We're going to be on national TV pretty much every game next year. Would be a disaster to have it look like we're an unserious program (even if we're just rounding the corner back to serious anyway).
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:18 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:27 am I don't know the exact makeup of KU attendees but I'm guessing % wise KU gets most of their crowd from Lawrence and Lawrence adjacent areas ( students included ).

I agree 100%. I would rather have 21,000/21,000 than 35,000/70,000. We're going to be on national TV pretty much every game next year. Would be a disaster to have it look like we're an unserious program (even if we're just rounding the corner back to serious anyway).
What???? You guys are backwards. So playing in a soccer stadium would look better to whom than playing in a NFL stadium. A NFL stadium is built for a football team to show up and play football in.

We are going to end the year in the top 25. We are going to start next year in the top 25.
We are in the process of building a state of the art stadium. Play one season in Arrowhead and make it the biggest thing ever. Sell the tickets for $20. Sell the package Bus ticket beer $50. Bars show up with a ticket we bus you to the game. Hotel's stay with us we bus you to the game. Freaking one thousand buses heading to Arrowhead on game day.

Let's say everything lines up and we win the Big12. So we in the playoffs We get a first round bye and then we host the next game. We playing in some soccer field with like 20k or Arrowhead???
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm

What???? You guys are backwards. So playing in a soccer stadium would look better to whom than playing in a NFL stadium. A NFL stadium is built for a football team to show up and play football in.

We are going to end the year in the top 25. We are going to start next year in the top 25.
We are in the process of building a state of the art stadium. Play one season in Arrowhead and make it the biggest thing ever. Sell the tickets for $20. Sell the package Bus ticket beer $50. Bars show up with a ticket we bus you to the game. Hotel's stay with us we bus you to the game. Freaking one thousand buses heading to Arrowhead on game day.

Let's say everything lines up and we win the Big12. So we in the playoffs We get a first round bye and then we host the next game. We playing in some soccer field with like 20k or Arrowhead???
I'm with you. 35k fans in arrowhead is better than 21k in the soccer stadium. I don't care what % is filled.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I disagree.
A wide swath of empty seats looks worse than a completely packed house.
Have you all been to the Wizards stadium?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm

I would have ZERO issue with lining up Arrowhead for the playoff lol.

But I also think you could make the tickets $10 each and still struggle to get 50k people to Arrowhead for any of our games except for possibly ISU (and I'll let you think on why that one's the exception).

My personal view is that a jammed, small venue is better for the trajectory of the program than a half-full big one.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm I disagree.
A wide swath of empty seats looks worse than a completely packed house.
Have you all been to the Wizards stadium?
When you and I agree on something that has to do with money, maybe our other online friends would know that's a signal to get in line!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think you’d loose some money over the season ( at Mercy ) but I think some would be made up with higher demand/ticket prices.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:50 pm I think you’d loose some money over the season ( at Mercy ) but I think some would be made up with higher demand/ticket prices.
I would hope the difference is irrelevant; in my opinion, we should be doing what's best for the program's medium- and long-term health. In my book, those goals are better served playing in a full, half-sized stadium (as opposed to a half-full, 150%-sized stadium).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What about something like Lindenwood, UNLV, Houston, TCU at Mercy and Colorado and ISU at Arrowhead.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm What about something like Lindenwood, UNLV, Houston, TCU at Mercy and Colorado and ISU at Arrowhead.
No issue in my book (except ISU is a split-bowl game then...which is fine).

I also don't know whether it's logistically (geometrically) possible to lay a football field down in Kauffman (and I'm not saying that'd be my choice even if possible).