Official hoo's ur Daddy Thread

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official hoo's ur Daddy Thread

Post by pdub »

I think twocoach believes Timberlake had previously shown enough at the D1 level to deserve a spot at KU ( which was true - he was a hot transfer item across the country actually ).

He's not showing that now and maybe he never will because the step up to this competition was too much for him.

We all hope that he could get back to his Towson 3PT shooting numbers but it's pretty unlikely at this point he will.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:20 pm I think twocoach believes Timberlake had previously shown enough at the D1 level to deserve a spot at KU ( which was true - he was a hot transfer item across the country actually ).

He's not showing that now and maybe he never will because the step up to this competition was too much for him.

We all hope that he could get back to his Towson 3PT shooting numbers but it's pretty unlikely at this point he will.
Yep. He has no consistent shot mistake, which leaves me to believe it is all in his head. He's short, he's long, he misses on both sides. He just seems rushed and after he chucks a brick, he gets flustered and makes other mistakes. Maybe Self can make some tweaks go some plays with the additional practice over winter break and get him a little more time to shoot and he can gain some confidence. Fingers crossed he figures it out.

Meanwhile, I am hopeful that the positive signs we've seen from both Furphy and McDowell will continue and that Self can start trusting them for a bit longer so they can get some more reps in-game.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

No argument here. I think there was a lot of optimism about his potential impact that was unwarranted, but I do think his 3PT% will regress toward the mean. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends the year as a 35-37% 3PT shooter. The bigger question for me continues to be whether he’ll do anything else well enough to earn 10+ minutes in big games.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:29 pm No argument here. I think there was a lot of optimism about his potential impact that was unwarranted, but I do think his 3PT% will regress toward the mean. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends the year as a 35-37% 3PT shooter. The bigger question for me continues to be whether he’ll do anything else well enough to earn 10+ minutes in big games.
All we can do with all these transfers is cross our fingers and HOPE they can fill the role they are coming in for. Hunter has been everything we hoped for and then some as I certainly didn't have "lead the nation in rebounds" on my expectation list for Dickinson.

Frankly, it's no different than what we do with recruits. We have no clue how it's going to work out once they pull on that KU jersey and step out under the bright lights. Self is notorious for squeezing more out of a roster than the vast majority of coaches could possibly pull off so I feel like he'll figure out something that works at an acceptable level. Then we'll get to the tourney and cross out fingers and hope for some good breaks, some good match ups and for guys to step up when it really matters.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

More often than not transfers from the smaller schools struggle adjusting to the competition KU faces AND the level of defense Bill Self expects from his players.

On the flip side: Parker Braun is way better than I expected.

This roster looks a lot different with a non criminal Arterio Morris.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Looking at the top transfers from smaller schools who went to bigger programs, it doesn't really look like that's the case for the kids at the top of the transfer market:

https://www.sportsgrid.com/article/the- ... fer-portal

Max Abmas went from Oral Roberts to Texas and is Texas' leading scorer at 17.8 ppg
Jordan Dingle went from Penn to St Johns and is averaging 11.3 ppg
Ray J Dennis went from Toledo to Baylor and is averaging 13.9 ppg
Jalen Cook went from Tulane to LSU and is averaging 13.o ppg
Jameer Nelson Jr. went from Delaware to TCU and is averaging 11.4 ppg
Tylor Perry went from North Texas to Kansas State and is averaging 15.7 ppg
Grant Nelson went from North Dakota State to Alabama and is averaging 13.6 ppg
Graham Ike went from Wyoming to Gonzaga and is averaging 13.4 ppg
Zyon Pullin went from UC Riverside to Florida and is averaging 12.7 ppg
Khalif Battle went from Temple to Arkansas and is averaging 15.1 ppg
Dalton Knecht went from Northern Colorado to Tennessee and is averaging 16.5 ppg
Aaron Estrada went from Hofstra to Alabama and is averaging 14.4 ppg
Walter Clayton went from Iona to Florida and is averaging 16.5 ppg
Javian McCollum went from Siena to Oklahoma and is averaging 14.3
Will Baker went from Nevada to LSU and is averaging 12.2 ppg

Nicolas Timberlake went from Towson to Kansas and is averaging 3.2 ppg

Literally every single one of the players ahead of Timberlake on the transfer rankings who went from a non-P6 program to a P6 program are averaging double digits this year. Every single one. That is just a stupid amount of bad luck for KU.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

are you arguing against yourself now?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:31 pm are you arguing against yourself now?
Didn't realize I was arguing with anyone at all. Illy's post just prompted me to do a little research and I found the results to be rather surprising so I shared it. What are the odds that Kansas lands the only guy that doesn't end up being a double digit scorer on that entire list? It's not like the only thing preventing him from getting enough minutes to get those kind of numbers is the player ahead of him. Elmarko Jackson's production is certainly not what is blocking him as I am sure that if Timberlake was playing well enough to be a double digit scorer that he would be starting from Day One.

Just feels like bad luck.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Feels like he is awful at defense and playing as a 2 at KU means regularly getting guarded by guys significantly taller/longer than him which makes it significantly more difficult to excel at his only skill (shooting).

Plus, KU is better than every team on that list.

Either way, I am glad we have NT this year. He certainly hasn't lost us any games and we need every warm body we can get. Even if he's the 9th guy in the rotation.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

despite his struggles, it would not surprise me one bit if NT comes up big for us at some point this year
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 pm despite his struggles, it would not surprise me one bit if NT comes up big for us at some point this year
To paraphrase Thad Jones: it only happens every year with someone. Self.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake hasn't found confidence or minutes yet at KU

But this is a guy who hit about three 3s per game past year at 41% clip. That's similar volume as grady dicks season last year, and just a tiny bit better percentage

So acting like he isn't a good shooter is insane. The mechanics are there
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The question isn't if Timberlake can knock down shots. The question is can he play good enough defense and learn the offense well enough to play smart, minimal mistake basketball, to earn enough minutes consistently to find a shooting rhythm and some confidence
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:57 pm More often than not transfers from the smaller schools struggle adjusting to the competition KU faces AND the level of defense Bill Self expects from his players.

On the flip side: Parker Braun is way better than I expected.

This roster looks a lot different with a non criminal Arterio Morris.
Yep. Arterio morris would have added another dimension to this team. Ultra quick explosive off the dribble guard that can routinely get by his man and generate offense for himself and others. Like the one thing this team is missing.

Fucker.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:27 pm despite his struggles, it would not surprise me one bit if NT comes up big for us at some point this year
Agree. We will be in foul trouble and have to play him extended minutes at some point. It still is a luxury to have a 6th year shooter at the end of our rotation

I will say he's not as athletic as I'd hoped. The explosive jumping dunk reel doesn't mean he moves his feet laterally very well
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, you can stop talking about Arterio as if he was some sure thing.
You were wrong, again.
We should just try to keep track of when you're right - it'd be way easier.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:47 am OK, you can stop talking about Arterio as if he was some sure thing.
You were wrong, again.
Getting old must suck, starting the day this grumpy
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm glad we found out about that kid. before the stink of that phucquer could stain the program.

sometimes HCBS could be better at vetting some of these hardcases.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:47 am OK, you can stop talking about Arterio as if he was some sure thing.
You were wrong, again.
should be easy since he constantly tries to remind us when he thinks he’s been right
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

When Timberlake turns into Remy Martin in March, I'm quoting a whole bunch of you loosers.
Defense. Rebounds.