Official Jayhawks lick the Toads Thread

Kansas Basketball.
DrPepper

Re: Official Jayhawks lick the Toads Thread

Post by DrPepper »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:20 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:18 pm If I'm Jamie Dixon, I'm furious.
^^^
^^^^
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so subjective

per ncaa:

Elbow rules

The committee tweaked the rules regarding elbow contact above the shoulders.

A minimum of a flagrant 1 foul is no longer required when an official is responding to illegal elbow contact above the shoulders of an opponent. Now, officials also can call a common foul on any illegal elbow contact, which may result in no free throws and simply a throw-in to the offended team.

This rule change is a stark contrast to the former minimum flagrant 1 foul rule that has been in effect for three years, which awarded the offended player two free throws and the ball. Coaches felt that, sometimes, elbow contact did not merit such a harsh penalty. However, officials who deem elbow contact to be excessive, unnecessary, severe or extreme are encouraged to call a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul.

In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awarded two free throws and his team gets possession of the ball. In a flagrant 2 foul situation, the penalty is the same, but the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.

Committee members felt the mandatory flagrant 1 penalty of the elbow rule was too harsh for all elbow situations. While the intent of the elbow rule has always been to protect players, they said, some legitimate basketball moves result in contact that is not excessive and do not deserve the harsher penalty.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Dickensen:

Rebounds: 11, 8 offensive

Udeh:

Rebounds: 4
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
lwh69ku

Post by lwh69ku »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm so subjective

per ncaa:

Elbow rules

A minimum of a flagrant 1 foul is no longer required when an official is responding to illegal elbow contact above the shoulders of an opponent. Now, officials also can call a common foul on any illegal elbow contact, which may result in no free throws and simply a throw-in to the offended team.

This rule change is a stark contrast to the former minimum flagrant 1 foul rule that has been in effect for three years, which awarded the offended player two free throws and the ball. Coaches felt that, sometimes, elbow contact did not merit such a harsh penalty. However, officials who deem elbow contact to be excessive, unnecessary, severe or extreme are encouraged to call a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul.

In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awarded two free throws and his team gets possession of the ball. In a flagrant 2 foul situation, the penalty is the same, but the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.

Committee members felt the mandatory flagrant 1 penalty of the elbow rule was too harsh for all elbow situations. While the intent of the elbow rule has always been to protect players, they said, some legitimate basketball moves result in contact that is not excessive and do not deserve the harsher penalty.
Yeah, the refs fucked up letting play go on initially and then overdid it by calling F1. Should have been called foul immediately, then review to possibly upgrade.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:24 pm Dickensen:

Udeh:

I’d still take Udeh.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

lwh69ku wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:25 pm
Yeah, the refs fucked up letting play go on initially and then overdid it by calling F1. Should have been called foul immediately, then review to possibly upgrade.
Yes.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:27 pm

Udeh:

I’d still take Udeh.
i wouldn’t, merely because of how he dealt with the adversity

he wasn’t kicked out or asked to leave. he made the choice to leave. he’d be getting Braun+ minutes this year had he stayed. Braun is at 8 and change and Udeh is getting about 15 with tcu

i think he made the wrong choice
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He got usurped by a guy who got 2 million dollars who went on to say “everyone would switch jobs for another 10,000 dollars”.

You chose that guy over me?
I might be a bit pissed as well and I dunno if I’d want to play behind him.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Anyone notice how Hunter always ends an interview by saying "Rock Chalk"? I like it. He's trying to show that this is his school and his team now. He has bought in to what it means to be a Jayhawk.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Considering him pre KU and his comments and post, I think it’s now a PR recovery mode.

KU has got to have 2-3 PR people for the team/players.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Udeh:

I’d still take Udeh.
KU would have 6 losses more right now with that trade.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:12 pm Considering him pre KU and his comments and post, I think it’s now a PR recovery mode.

KU has got to have 2-3 PR people for the team/players.
He talks - a lot of times without thinking it through. That's who he is. Call it arrogance, cal it self-confidence, you need some of that to be the kind of player he is.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

zsn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm Make up for the phantom call on KJ?
I thought McCullar definitely fouled the dude on that play. They did us a favor by giving it to Kj.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm
I mean, I guess but seeing that in real time would have been largely impossible for any human.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:13 pm

Udeh:

I’d still take Udeh.
I don’t agree but maybe 3.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm so subjective

per ncaa:

Elbow rules

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsCBB/status ... TtUkg&s=19

Jay Wright disagreed with pretty much everything you said and felt it was officiated correctly.

I was at the game and I don't even think they saw the hit to Dickinson initially. As soon as the TCU guy stopped driving and looked backwards, they rightly stopped play due to the injured KU player on the floor and when he said he had been hit in the face then the refs went over to review it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:14 pm
zsn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:22 pm Make up for the phantom call on KJ?
I thought McCullar definitely fouled the dude on that play. They did us a favor by giving it to Kj.
Yup
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:13 pm

I’d still take Udeh.
I don’t agree but maybe 3.
My worthless opinion....
TCU - probably
Indiana - probably
UConn - maybe
Tennessee - maybe
Kentucky - probably
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Add in the 25 and 13 in an 8 point win over Eastern Illinois and the 13 and 16 in the 9 point win over Mizzou.

Did you guys watch Udeh out there? He was even less of a risk to score than Harris is. They run zero plays for him.

The only reason to like Udeh over Hunter is to make the point that you like recruited players more than transfers. There is zero actual basketball evidence to support it.

I'd take Udeh over a lot of other players but not Dickinson.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Both those previous wins weren't really in doubt - including the MIZZOU one.

Jamie Dixon has no idea how to coach bigs. You can laugh all you want but I think Eddie Lampkin would have been all Big 12 if coached at Kansas.

We all saw what Udeh could have been here -- he's being ruined there -- so yes, in that case, he choose poorly.