Official Jayhawks Mess with the Bull Thread

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Official Jayhawks Mess with the Bull Thread

Post by jfish26 »

I thought Bill was atrocious last night.

Coach Bill had us completely unprepared for zone, and handled Hunter very poorly. Less egregiously, but still an issue, is Jackson's clock. He's just not doing much that warrants playing more than Furphy. Coach Bill, in my opinion (and this is common to the Hunter and Jackson points), sometimes prioritizes how things might look from 2:30 to 0:00, rather than maximizing our chances at it not even being a game by 2:30.

And GM Bill has us, again, inexplicably, maddeningly, a backcourt guy (or even two) short. Where everyone is one role or so too high. I am very AWARE that this roster wasn't the plan, but GM Bill takes the hit here for Arterio's red flags manifesting into the position the roster is in (among other backcourt roster issues, like Rice).

And - I should not have to say this out loud, but - there isn't another guy I would even THINK about preferring over Bill. That should be a given.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Timberlake was supposed to be much better than this.
Elmarko was supposed to be better than this.
Jamari is a top 100 recruit.

Self has to take a big L for not prepping us vs the zone.
It wasn't just on the players not executing - they just didn't seem ready for that switch.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 am Timberlake was supposed to much better than this.
Elmarko was supposed to be better than this.

Self has to take a big L for not prepping us vs the zone.
It wasn't just on the players not executing - they just didn't seem ready for that switch.
The biggest thing was that we didn't appear to have a plan to get Hunter the fucking ball - which is sorta absurd when you have a guy that pretty much comes out of the zone-buster factory.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 am Self has to take a big L for not prepping us vs the zone.
Good teaching moment.

I was surprised by how badly we dealt with it. Players and coaches. Probably a little too much enjoying the Florida weather and not enough preparing to take care of business.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We'd be tearing Norm a new asshole if he were coaching last night and we handled a zone so poorly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The tiny difference is Bill Self is one of the greatest coaches to ever coach college basketball and Norm is not...so Self gets a bit of leeway.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This should have been a 45-minute install on fucking Monday. It's not rocket science. And what is St. Dajuan the Steady FOR, if not this?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It looked like Bill told them on the fly ( which definitely isn't the case, they've practiced v a zone this year ) on what to do.

Transition before the defense sets itself ( lots of turnovers doing that ).
Backdoor lobs ( threw it out of bounds ).
8 footers on the baseline ( KJ and Harris got one there but I don't think we got to those spots more than that ).
Entrance passes to the middle of the zone where Hunter was ( at least one, I think two turnovers doing so ).

We just don't have the other asset to breaking the zone - someone who can drive into traffic and make decisions on whether to shoot or pass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 am It looked like Bill told them on the fly ( which definitely isn't the case, they've practiced v a zone this year ) on what to do.

Transition before the defense sets itself ( lots of turnovers doing that ).
Backdoor lobs ( threw it out of bounds ).
8 footers on the baseline ( KJ and Harris got one there but I don't think we got to those spots more than that ).
Entrance passes to the middle of the zone where Hunter was ( at least one, I think two turnovers doing so ).

We just don't have the other asset to breaking the zone - someone who can drive into traffic and make decisions on whether to shoot or pass.
That should 100% be KJ. He's become a VERY good passer from the FT line, and that push shot is ugly as hell but it goes in, and it's all you need in order to force guys to collapse.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think for KJ to work in this scenario you have to get him the ball in that position ( or do something with a screen to get him there ).

He's not breaking down a defender to get to that spot.

I'm talking about a guy who can drive past that top zone defender into the gap just past the free throw line.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:37 am I think for KJ to work in this scenario you have to get him the ball in that position ( or do something with a screen to get him there ).

He's not breaking down a defender to get to that spot.
Agree with that. But, again, this isn't a new playbook. Julian, KY, Jamari, Josh...we have feet of tape on how to use this type of guy to punish a zone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Just head scratchingly bad.

Thought we'd pull it out of there after the media TO where Harris was going to the line.
Misses the 2nd one, Diallo scores over Hunter, Hunter misses a jumper.

In the last two minutes Hunter went 1-3 with a turnover.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe Henry T's just needs to goose January sales, Christ almighty.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Once again, and like absolutely everything else on the boreds, fish and I are pretty much seeing eye to eye here.

St. Dajuan the Steady lol

I didn’t even know he was Catholic!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

With this shitty loss, we gotta go undefeated in our next 4 because the gauntlet starts after that.

OU, @ OSU, @ WVU, v Cincy.

After that, showdown at Hilton.
Why are we not playing ISU twice?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 am With this shitty loss, we gotta go undefeated in our next 4 because the gauntlet starts after that.

Unbalanced, divisionless schedule.

I'm worried about this team. There are lots of things to like, but our top-third teams blow teams like UCF out, even on the road.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:57 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 am With this shitty loss, we gotta go undefeated in our next 4 because the gauntlet starts after that.

Unbalanced, divisionless schedule.

I'm worried about this team. There are lots of things to like, but our top-third teams blow teams like UCF out, even on the road.
I am right there with you. But those teams had guard depth. We might need to use Jank in a Vinson role until we get some gel.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a touch odd as we are shooting pretty well - our EFG% is 22nd and TS% is 26th.
So then I thought, well, it has to be turnovers per game, because yikes, these last two games.
And Voila - 219th - just a touch under 13 a game.

There is only one team in Kenpom's top 25 that is turning the ball over as much as we are and we play them this Saturday.

The saving grace here is I don't think shooting can improve as much as taking care of the ball over the season...if we get more possessions with looks, and we're shooting in that EFG%, we should be golden.

Stop giving the ball to the other team plz.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that can’t be right

we had 18 against tcu (haven’t seen how many last night)

edit: 18 last night too

edit 2: i think i misinterpreted that stat…the 13 is for the season, not just the last two games

15+ isn’t gonna win you many
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I don't tend to get too deep into trying to autopsy a loss.

I kind of thought we were in danger when Purdue and Houston both lost.

Just seems to be the way sometimes.

Bill will get this figured out, he always does.