Backcourt

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Backcourt

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm sure Self just hasn't thought of it.

Elmaeko has an eGF% of 40.8%. Why do you want him to be someone we are running plays for individually?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:10 pm Also, you do realize 99% of our plays have multiple options as they progress. We rarely "run plays" for a single person.
This is true but we do run tons of plays with a first option.
I'm guessing we don't run a ton of plays with freshman Elmarko at that first option.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:14 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:10 pm Also, you do realize 99% of our plays have multiple options as they progress. We rarely "run plays" for a single person.
This is true but we do run tons of plays with a first option.
I'm guessing we don't run a ton of plays with freshman Elmarko at that first option.
eFG of 40.8%

Not who I want as option 1 2 or 3.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd give him the green light to push hard in transition every single time though, turnovers be damned.
We've gotta give him confidence in his strengths.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:18 pm I'd give him the green light to push hard in transition every single time though, turnovers be damned.
Absolutely. I think he has that green light. His scoring needs to come in transition and within our offense playing off of HD (eFG of 64.8%), KM (eFG of 54.5%), and Kj (eFG of 63.7%).

I don't know how you run plays for a guy (Elmarko) who shoots under 40% from 2pt and under 29% from 3pt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's the fastest on our team so I get ousdahl's thinking here.
I disagree with some earlier comments that he hasn't shown anything - I've seen it ( well, not in the UCF game that's for sure ) - and he's definitely not a guy to feature - but I would like to see a few more basket attacks.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:27 pm He's the fastest on our team so I get ousdahl's thinking here.
I disagree with some earlier comments that he hasn't shown anything - I've seen it ( well, not in the UCF game that's for sure ) - and he's definitely not a guy to feature - but I would like to see a few more basket attacks.
He has trouble getting to the basket within our offense because defenses don't have to pay any attention to him from 3.

Lots of talk about defense ignoring DH, which doesn't really even happen anymore, unless we count going under screens ignoring....but defenses ignore Elmarko way more than they do DH.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We definitely need more scoring from everyone outside our 3 main scorers.

I don't care if it's Elmarko, Furphy, or Timberlake. Or a combination of them.

But you're right. Elmarkos speed should be utilized more (by him) to get to the basket. I am sure to an extent our lack of spacing makes driving difficult for him. Kj is not an outside threat. HD is usually posted in the lane gettinf double teamed. KM is really the only 1 who consistently drives. I guess Kj does too to a lesser extent.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:32 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:27 pm He's the fastest on our team so I get ousdahl's thinking here.
He has trouble getting to the basket within our offense because defenses don't have to pay any attention to him from 3.

Lots of talk about defense ignoring DH, which doesn't really even happen anymore, unless we count going under screens ignoring....but defenses ignore Elmarko way more than they do DH.
Harris still gets some healthy gaps.

You know who would be perfect for us?
Gradey Dick.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Self must have seen Qusdahls play calling suggestions.

Elmarko being replaced by Furphy in the starting lineup tomorrow.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think, in their case, who starts matters much but Furphy deserves it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:24 pm I don’t think, in their case, who starts matters much but Furphy deserves it.
True.

I think it's just a case of get the best 5 out there. Tough for Furphy to hope to play (exclusively) the 3 or 4 off the bench when most games Kj and KM are going to play 35+ the rest of the year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:24 pm I don’t think, in their case, who starts matters much but Furphy deserves it.
Furphy is playing with the aggressiveness that Self wants; Jackson is not. This is just signaling to each of them that this is what is needed and what will be rewarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcwjRM6yd8
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It's much easier for Furphy to contribute offensively because he can be a catch and shoot threat that kind of hangs out in the corners and spaces the floor for Kj/HD/KM.

I would love to see Elmarko start to score more at and around the hoop. But I don't think it's as simple as "calling a play". Hopefully this doesn't discourage him. I think he's poised for big sophomore and junior seasons if he stays patient (easier said than done these days).

I don't see this as a negative towards Elmarko tbh. It really feels like more of a reward to Furphy. Which feels like a positive for the team as a whole. Curious to see how the minutes breakdown looks tomorrow if Furphy plays well. Is he going to be a 25mpg+ now? That'd be nice. His shooting is desperately needed.

It'd be nice for Timberlake to also continue to knock a few shots down when he gets his opportunities. If he plays 8mpg and can go 1-2 or 1-3 from 3 during those minutes (and playing within the offense to do so) that'll be a big lift for us.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »