Official Jayhawks Top the Mountaineers Thread

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Official Jayhawks Top the Mountaineers Thread

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:13 am nothing like trashing players after a loss

good job
I'm guilty of trashing Hunter a bit. But, I can handle failure, I can't handle lack of effort. Or, at least, my interpretation of a lack of effort.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:29 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:13 am nothing like trashing players after a loss

good job
I'm guilty of trashing Hunter a bit. But, I can handle failure, I can't handle lack of effort. Or, at least, my interpretation of a lack of effort.
nothing wrong with being critical, but a couple of posters just can’t help themselves when it comes to DH

don’t think i’ve never seen a Championship-winning guard get such treatment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:40 am

good job
nothing wrong with being critical, but a couple of posters just can’t help themselves when it comes to DH

Guilty as charged.

I would just say - I'm old enough to remember that before we won that championship, DH tried his damnedest to barf it away. And unfortunately that is a thing that happened before, and has happened since. He just goes brain-dead far too often for a guy who is not talented enough to WIN you games.

He's a useful player, and I'd rather have him than not have him. But his floor is WAY too low for a supposed high-floor/low-ceiling type.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am

Guilty as charged.

I would just say - I'm old enough to remember that before we won that championship, DH tried his damnedest to barf it away. And unfortunately that is a thing that happened before, and has happened since. He just goes brain-dead far too often for a guy who is not talented enough to WIN you games.

He's a useful player, and I'd rather have him than not have him. But his floor is WAY too low for a supposed high-floor/low-ceiling type.
and that’s all well and good, but as pdub pointed out, our issues against wvu were defensive…an aspect DH, at worst, did just fine with

he wasn’t at all the reason we lost that game, yet some feel the need to (again) use him as a punching bag
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:54 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am

Guilty as charged.

and that’s all well and good, but as pdub pointed out, our issues against wvu were defensive…an aspect DH, at worst, did just fine with

he wasn’t at all the reason we lost that game, yet some feel the need to (again) use him as a punching bag
Can't speak for anyone else, but the way I see it, Harris' shortcomings make us for more likely to BE in games like this. He just drags the entire curve to the left.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:39 am Here’s one other difference between Dajuan and the EJ/Tharpe/Garrett end of this discussion.

All those other dudes were basically one-and-done as lead guards at KU.

We’re on our 3rd year of Dajuan starting, with a 4th year likely
And who's fault was that (that they couldn't be lead guards until year 3 or 4)?

EJ had every opportunity to be an impact player for multiple years. He wasn't good enough. His propensity for bonehead plays kept him off the court as a major player for his early years.

You can be individually better than another player and a coach will play that other player over you if they make the "team" better than you do.

It cracks me up that you think you know more than all these other college coaches who constantly praise DH in post game press conferences. Saying things like "he's like having Bill Self on the court".

NOBODY said that about EJ.

EVER.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Why hasn't dajuan shown improvement? My theory is because he has peaked. That isn't an insult... he's a really good little college point guard

But he's never going to develop into a 6'4 explosive athlete. That's where his limitations come from
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It's okay to want lotto picks at all 5 starting spots. If that's what you want then DH and KJ aren't ever going to be your cup of tee.

But it's not going to happen. And our team is better at actually winning games when we have DHs and KJs playing major minutes.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dajuan gets shit on after every loss because we are spoiled at KU. We are so used to having am upperclassmen guard that can bail us out and just will us to win. Dajuan isn't that guy (but he did manage to do it against Kentucky in the champions classic)

But he is a really good player. Best floor general self has ever had. Just happens to be below the average standard physically for a KU guard
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:11 am Why hasn't dajuan shown improvement? My theory is because he has peaked.
Yes. He probably has peaked. Physically and skill wise that's reasonable to conclude (although I think he's a better shooter now than be was a year or 2 ago). But his understanding of the game, our offense/defense, and what helps us win games is invaluable in an era with so much roster turnover year to year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dajuan is 6'2.

Frank Mason was 5'10.
Vonte was 6'1.
Dotson was 6'1.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 am Dajuan is 6'2.

Frank Mason was 5'10.
Vonte was 6'1.
Dotson was 6'1.
Dajuan wasn't bigger than devonte or Dotson. All were lister at 6'1/6'2 depending where u look

Both had thicker frames and outweighed dajuan by quite a bit for being relatively the same height. And both were far stronger and more athletic, and played bigger in that sense

Wingspan tho? That's dajuans gift
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 am Best floor general self has ever had.
Hey, I liked my coffee. Don't do this.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:11 am Why hasn't dajuan shown improvement? My theory is because he has peaked.
Yes. He probably has peaked. Physically and skill wise that's reasonable to conclude (although I think he's a better shooter now than be was a year or 2 ago). But his understanding of the game, our offense/defense, and what helps us win games is invaluable in an era with so much roster turnover year to year.
This is driving me nuts. Twice in ten days we looked like we'd never heard of zone defense. This is NOT the time to be doing the "understanding of the game" thing for a guy who has now played more than 3,500 minutes at KU.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 am
This is driving me nuts. Twice in ten days we looked like we'd never heard of zone defense. This is NOT the time to be doing the "understanding of the game" thing for a guy who has now played more than 3,500 minutes at KU.
Hey. Dajuan understands the zone. He just isn't quick enough to get into the gaps and pick it apart
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:37 am

Hey. Dajuan understands the zone. He just isn't quick enough to get into the gaps and pick it apart
I'm not asking for him to get into the gaps and pick it apart. I'm asking for the supposed "best floor general self has ever had" to floor-general his guys into having SOME idea what to do.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 am Best floor general self has ever had.
A few years ago I never thought I'd say this, but there is a reason other coaches call him "coach self on the floor" and his assist numbers don't lie. Aaron miles is technically a Roiboi. He's the one guy I'd consider

Yes sherron, frank, Dotson, devonte, Russell Robinson even, could be considered. Better players, but I don't think better floor generals
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

blah blah blah. when we lose it's dh's fault. blah blah blah.

been this way for 3 years now.

we have a game tonight.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Why doesn't KJ get any heat when we talk about zone defense effectiveness against us? He can't shoot a lick or space the zone. He is more of a problem when facing zone defenses than DH imo.

But people have their favorites and people have the scapegoats.

This is still better than debating politics. Nice to see this area of the board with some action.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:41 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 am
A few years ago I never thought I'd say this, but there is a reason other coaches call him "coach self on the floor" and his assist numbers don't lie. Aaron miles is technically a Roiboi. He's the one guy I'd consider

Yes sherron, frank, Dotson, devonte, Russell Robinson even, could be considered. Better players, but I don't think better floor generals
He's a nice player.

But the assists are partly because he's a nice player, and partly because he plays 35 minutes/game for loaded teams and is openly, outwardly, obviously afraid to try to score.