Official Kansas vs LGSU

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Kansas vs LGSU

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:00 am For teams that have to win their conference tournament to get into the NCAA tourney, the conference tournament should be most important.

We are not one of those teams.
You might have just made my point for me.

There is a reason the auto bid goes to the conference tournament winner and not the team at the top of the regular season standings (in most conferences, i think one goes to regular season champ, Ivy league?)
What?
I made the very opposite of the point for you.
We are NOT one of those teams.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 am Bill Self:

"I've always put a lot of stock in conference championships. If you don't make sure it's important to your players, how would you keep them motivated all year long?

"I tell them, 'Why would you want to make a big deal about winning a national championship when you're not even the best team in your league?'"
Bill Self a few weeks ago:

"The fans care more about the regular season conference race than the players"

"With the uneven schedule it doesn't hold the same weight as in years past"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm sure he was being honest in your quotes and lying in mine though. LOL
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self was basically complaining about the new set up.
It was way better when you played everyone twice - I fully agree - now it's unbalanced bc you don't.

To be clear, Coach Self isn’t claiming a regular season Big 12 title means any less because of the scheduling changes.

“Does that takeaway from the significance of anything? No, it does not at all,”
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:05 am It was way better when you played everyone twice - I fully agree - now it's unbalanced bc you don't.
I agree.

We can stop now.

I am not going to convince you this team is a contender and you're not going to convince me they aren't.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:42 am We didn't loose 3 straight in 2008.
Hell, we only lost 3 games all season.
Check the memory banks.
Don't interrupt him. He's on a "I'm the only guy who sees the big picture" roll.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am
Check the memory banks.
Don't interrupt him. He's on a "I'm the only guy who sees the big picture" roll.
We can debate without the personal attacks. This isn't the politics board.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:53 am Now we're arguing over word choice.

It's obviously not ALL that matters. How you win matters too. I don't want to win nattys with a team full of rapists and murderers.

The big 12 regular season title would be 3rd on my list of goals this year. 2nd or 3rd on the teams list I imagine.

Natty
Big 12 tournament
Big 12 regular season
The Big 12 tournament over the regular season?
Fucking LOL.

The regular season, 18 games, is more important to Bill Self and the team then a 4 game tournament in Missouri.
He's just making up shit to support his "I'm not worried" argument. Neither of Self's teams that failed to win the Big 12 made it out of the first weekend of the tournament.

If all there is to an argument is "I choose to believe that Bill Self will win a natty because that's how I prefer to go through the season and no amount of results will sway me from it" then he should just say it and stop making shit up.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:16 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am
Check the memory banks.
We can debate without the personal attacks. This isn't the politics board.
It's not a personal attack, it's just what you're doing. The first step of having a conversation with someone is understanding their point of view. You're throwing everything possible to support your argument without bothering to look at the actual facts.

"I am old enough to remember losing 3 straight in 2008 and people thought the world was ending. "

They didn't even lose two straight that season and only lost 3 total games the entire year, one of which was against KSU, who made the Round of 32 and one of which was against Texas, who made the Elite Eight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It was a poor debate point.
That 2008 team would stomp this squad by 20.
Dajuan would have 6 turnovers. Hunter would be in foul trouble by the 14 minute mark of the 1st half.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Thanks for the recap. We established all that a ways back.

Not 3 in a row. 2 out of 3. (There, i said it again, just for you)

And regardless, people freaked out at 2 of 3, which was the point.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:41 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:29 am Being the best team in the regular season means nothing. Winning a national championship is all that matters.
Dumb.
Then most of Self's teams have been failures and his seasons have meant nothing.
18 seasons of nothing.
is illy a brad or a chad?

such a bww take. not surprising coming from a t-shirt fan
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:27 am It was a poor debate point.
That 2008 team would stomp this squad by 20.
It wasn't meant to compare the two head to head. Obviously I agree with you.

That 2008 team, and every team we faced in the final four, would beat this team and every other team in CBB this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am Thanks for the recap. We established all that a ways back.

Well, not good for your argument here, but people were largely freaking out because it was a key game in the race for the Big 12 title. We were a game behind Texas bc of that loss and needed them to loose one of their last 4 to get a share.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:29 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:41 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:29 am Being the best team in the regular season means nothing. Winning a national championship is all that matters.
Dumb.
Then most of Self's teams have been failures and his seasons have meant nothing.
18 seasons of nothing.
is illy a brad or a chad?

such a bww take. not surprising coming from a t-shirt fan
It was poor wording....but continue to pile on.

In the past I have always been big on conference regular season AND conference tournament champions.

I meant this team specifically. You don't guy buy HD and chase off half of your existing roster to be satisfied with conference crowns. KM and HD are here to chase nattys.

And legacy wise for Self, a few more nattys goes a lot further than a few more conference titles.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Conferences are changing every year now it seems....will the big 12 even exist in 10 years?

Our historic conference run was a ton of fun....but I'd like Self to get a few more big ones before he rides off into the sunset.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s not one or the other

you’re in the minority here, if you’re too oblivious too recognize
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am Thanks for the recap. We established all that a ways back.

Or people were upset about a team good enough to win a national title playing like lethargic, apathetic shit against a shitty opponent, like KU has now done three times this season.

Look, I am glad that you don't get worked up by shitty regular season results, good for you. You'll live a year or two longer than me, congrats. But we're not all required to react to them the same way. Stop trying to talk everyone into believing that everything will be fine. Yes, I still believe that KU is a national title contender. In this fucked up season, just about every team that makes the tourney with a 6 seed or above will be a contender to at least make a Final Four if a few breaks go their way.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No one is satisfied with a conference title until the offseason when you look back at your accomplishments as a whole.

And no one is saying that ( let's just be satisfied with a regular season title ).

The team should obviously be trying as hard as possible to win a National Title...but the Big 12 regular season is also important.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 am Neither of Self's teams that failed to win the Big 12 made it out of the first weekend of the tournament.
Both of Self's teams who won National Championships won the Big 12 Conference TOURNAMENT.

So there's that.