Re: Official Kansas vs LGSU

Post by pdub »

OK?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

winning when you play like ass is an essential part of getting to the natty

this team hasn’t proven they can do that. they’ve played to their competition nearly all season, be it down or up…you do that, and your prone to losing when you “shouldn’t”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:43 am winning when you play like ass is an essential part of getting to the natty

this team hasn’t proven they can do that. they’ve played to their competition nearly all season, be it down or up…you do that, and your prone to losing when you “shouldn’t”
Hard to argue with that. I'm with you there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's why we want our 6/11 or 7/10 seeds to be good on offense but meh on defense rather than the other way around. No Virginia's or St Mary's. More Indiana State's or Florida's.

Besides the holyshitwhatwasthat game vs WVU, we've gone against squads with solid defenses.

I hate Auburn just in general but would also hate to see them as our S16 matchup.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, been pointed out before, and was a huge reason why we lost last night, but our defensive rebounding percentage is not great.

79th in the NCAA.

But beyond that, our offensive rebounding percentage is terrible.

217th in the NCAA.

One of our biggest strengths of 2022 was our offensive rebounding %.
Top 30.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:56 pm 4 more.
I could see it.
At OU or Tech.
At Baylor.
At Houston.
Loose in B12 tourney.

I’ll say we loose 3 more.
24-8 or something like that.
That’s not a 1 seed.

Not with UConn, UNC, Purdue, Zona, Houston and the SEC winner.
Don't think we can beat Scott drew?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:51 am I very well remember the OSU game.
There was a meltdown b/c it was a shit team.
The other two losses were roadies v top 25 squads.
The infamous players only meeting. Then they never lost another game
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:33 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:29 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:41 am

Dumb.
Then most of Self's teams have been failures and his seasons have meant nothing.
18 seasons of nothing.
is illy a brad or a chad?

such a bww take. not surprising coming from a t-shirt fan
It was poor wording....but continue to pile on.

In the past I have always been big on conference regular season AND conference tournament champions.

I meant this team specifically. You don't guy buy HD and chase off half of your existing roster to be satisfied with conference crowns. KM and HD are here to chase nattys.

And legacy wise for Self, a few more nattys goes a lot further than a few more conference titles.
Losing in the regular season makes winning a national title harder. Every shitty game they lose runs them down the seed line, making their road to a national title more difficult. If all that matters is winning a national title, how about they put in the work in regular season games to make that path easier? That was not a level of effort and intensity on defense and on the boards that will win tourney games. That was not a level of execution on offense that will win tourney games. If regular season games are just practice and the tourney is the performance, well the old saying of "you perform how you practice" leaves me a bit concerned about how well they will perform.

Does a loss yesterday mean they are incapable of winning 4-6 tourney games? No, certainly not. Weird shit happens every year. Do I feel like I would pick them to win that many games for any reason other than not wanting to jinx them? No, certainly not. Not every team is THAT team and not every team that is THAT team wins the title. We'll see. Yesterday was not great.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:35 am it’s not one or the other

you’re in the minority here, if you’re too oblivious too recognize
Being optimistic and realistic often puts someone in the minority on this board
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:37 am
I could see it.
At OU or Tech.
At Baylor.
At Houston.
Loose in B12 tourney.

That’s not a 1 seed.

I wouldn't pick KU to win any of their road games at this point. Why would I other than fandom?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:16 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:42 am We didn't loose 3 straight in 2008.
Hell, we only lost 3 games all season.
Check the memory banks.
Don't interrupt him. He's on a "I'm the only guy who sees the big picture" roll.
We can debate without the personal attacks. This isn't the politics board.
If you don't agree with them politically, everything turns into a personal attack. Grudges are held on this board.

I know this better than anyone lol
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 am
I could see it.
At OU or Tech.
At Baylor.
At Houston.
Loose in B12 tourney.

That’s not a 1 seed.

I wouldn't pick KU to win any of their road games at this point. Why would I other than fandom?
We have really tough road games left. There's no denying it. But I think we go .500
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This board is negative as fuck today, no surprise after a loss.

A realistic perspective. This is a very good KU team, with very good college players. We already have 4 wins against top 10 schools.

But the athletic talent of this roster isn't special. It doesn't seperate us from the rest of the field. Soooo we have to play well to win games. If not we are vulnerable to upsets, other teams can match up with us physically.

And in the best league in college basketball, we're gonna lose a few games.

So you can let it stress you out, or you can enjoy the grind
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:46 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 am

We have really tough road games left. There's no denying it. But I think we go .500
.500 and not winning the B12 tournament would put us at 3 more losses which is what I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think a good bulk of the argument here is stemming from the 'ho-hum, regular season doesn't matter' and 'we're still the best team in the country' despite very little evidence showing as such.

I'm pretty sure we needed that win to win the B12...or it's going to far more difficult now.
I want to win the B12.
It is important. Bill Self thinks it's important.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We're only 1 game back and we play every team ahead of us (other than Iowa State) at least once more, right?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We haven't beaten a single good team on the road and we still have four of those left.
That equals far more difficult.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 am We haven't beaten a single good team on the road and we still have four of those left.
That equals far more difficult.
I've always liked Self team's in an underdog role anyway. His record is unreal as an underdog.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self's teams do tend to kick things up in February and go on runs.
I of course would not be shocked at all because we have the best coach in basketball.
But this means doing something we haven't done all season probably 3 out of 4 times now.

And then, without question, holding serve at home.

Looking at the schedule, i'm not sure Houston looses more than 2 games before we meet them - so at best, we are looking at them being 12-5 when they host us.

I think we need to go 5-2 at worst in our next 7 and maybe more realistically, 6-1, which means 3-1 on the road vs 3 ranked teams and another decent one, and 4-0 at home.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:35 am it’s not one or the other

you’re in the minority here, if you’re too oblivious too recognize
Of course it's not.

And if I hadn't deleted so many accounts I could go find posts from the past saying the tournament is a crap shoot and winning conference titles and conference tournaments is a big deal...and that a season doesn't just come down to the ncaa tournament....i just don't feel like that "this" year.

I don't know if it's all the coming and going from the conference + the uneven schedule....or if it's a result of NIL and the transfer atmosphere...or a combination of both....but this season has felt like a national championship or bust kind of season (at least to me). It's KMs last chance to do what he came here to do (which I am hoping was win a natty, but was also inevitably to turn himself into a 1st rounder), and HD came here to do the same.

I also think, with some of the feelings surrounding certain players on the roster (DH and HD specifically) the only way to meet expectations as preseason #1 is to win it all.

What would you take:

A) regular season conference title, lose championship game of conference tournament, make final four but lose in semis

B) 3rd in regular season conference race, lose in first game of conference tournament, win national title

?

I am taking B for this team. Especially if we are only getting 1 year of HD.