Official Kansas vs LGSU

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Kansas vs LGSU

Post by pdub »

B.
No one is saying a regular season title is MORE important than a National Title.
But there's one person saying it means nothing at all.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Now who is warping who's words....

"Grand scheme of things" is the phrase I used last night if I recall correctly.

And today yes, I said a national title is all that matters...which was a poor choice of wording (which i have said multiple times since then). It (natty) matters most. And the regular season means significantly less. Especially because of the reasons Self pointed out in his press conference.

Regular season title wasn't going to be enough this year. Not with how a significant portion of our fanbase feels about DH. And for different reasons HD (and who we lost to get him here).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A more reasonable scenario would be:

A. Win out the regular season, beating Houston at their place, clinching sole 1st place in the regular season, but loosing in the finals in the B12 tournament. Make the e8 but loose in a close game to a top 3 seed.

B. Finish regular season 4-3, tying for 3rd in the B12 regular season but winning the B12 tournament after Houston gets upset on the other side of the bracket. Make the FF without facing a top 6 seed but loose in the semis in a close game to a top 3 seed.

Give me A.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:14 am Now who is warping who's words....
"Being the best team in the regular season means nothing. Winning a national championship is all that matters."

Your. Words.
LITERALLY said the word 'nothing'.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Give me neither.

In both of those scenarios this team will be viewed as a failure by a lot of people.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well you can't win it every season especially not in a format like the NCAA tournament.

You proposed the what would you take -- I just gave a better one.

Should I have said 'neither, I want the B12 regular season title, conference title and NCAA title while beating all the best teams by 25 on the way there?'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:17 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:14 am Now who is warping who's words....
"Being the best team in the regular season means nothing. Winning a national championship is all that matters."

Your. Words.
LITERALLY said the word 'nothing'.
Yes. Regular season.

That wasn't specifically about the big 12 conference title. To me, the "regular season" includes non con. Being ranked #1 means nothing "in the grand scheme of things".

Winning the big 12 title doesn't mean nothing. Sorry if you took it that way, it was poor wording. Have I said sorry and tried to correct myself enough times to enough people to be forgiven?

Of course winning the big 12 title means something. It's the 2nd or 3rd most important something each year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Winning the big 12 title doesn't mean nothing. Sorry if you took it that way, it was poor wording."

LOL.
Then why so many arguments to try and minimize it?
You in a nut shell.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:20 am Well you can't win it every season especially not in a format like the NCAA tournament.

You proposed the what would you take -- I just gave a better one.

Should I have said 'neither, I want the B12 regular season title, conference title and NCAA title while beating all the best teams by 25 on the way there?'
Not sure why your scenario is better since it didn't include us winning it all.

I like your last scenario the best. That would be better. Although I don't care how much we win by each game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

By better I mean a more favorable scenario.
Everyone is choosing the title in your lopsided A and B.
Again, no one is saying the regular season is more important than a National title ( though I would argue it often is a better barometer of which teams are the best in the country ).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:23 am "Winning the big 12 title doesn't mean nothing. Sorry if you took it that way, it was poor wording."

LOL.
Then why so many arguments to try and minimize it?
You in a nut shell.
You could have let it go an hour ago because I honestly think you knew exactly the point I was getting at.

It doesn't mean as much.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your point, to me, sure seemed like the Big 12 regular season didn't matter.
You've adjusted course since then.
Sorry for being confused after you said the regular season, which is largely conference games, means nothing and that national titles only matter. And then bringing up Self quotes that kind of, but not really, try to strengthen that point. And then saying the B12 tourney was more important.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Here is a less lopsided one:

A) win big 12 regular season, win big 12 tournament, lose in national championship game

B) 3rd big 12 regular season, lose in 1st round of big 12 tournament, win national championship

I am still taking B, at least for this team..and for Bill Self at this stage in his career. He has to get going to catch Roy and K.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:35 am it’s not one or the other

you’re in the minority here, if you’re too oblivious too recognize
Of course it's not.

And if I hadn't deleted so many accounts I could go find posts from the past saying the tournament is a crap shoot and winning conference titles and conference tournaments is a big deal...and that a season doesn't just come down to the ncaa tournament....i just don't feel like that "this" year.

I don't know if it's all the coming and going from the conference + the uneven schedule....or if it's a result of NIL and the transfer atmosphere...or a combination of both....but this season has felt like a national championship or bust kind of season (at least to me). It's KMs last chance to do what he came here to do (which I am hoping was win a natty, but was also inevitably to turn himself into a 1st rounder), and HD came here to do the same.

I also think, with some of the feelings surrounding certain players on the roster (DH and HD specifically) the only way to meet expectations as preseason #1 is to win it all.

What would you take:

A) regular season conference title, lose championship game of conference tournament, make final four but lose in semis

B) 3rd in regular season conference race, lose in first game of conference tournament, win national title

?

I am taking B for this team. Especially if we are only getting 1 year of HD.
you agree it’s not one or the other and then, quite literally, pose a hypothetical making it one or the other

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d like to point out though this is GREAT content—exactly why Illy is welcome on these boreds—bc we are arguing about sports.

I don’t think he’s the greatest debater but hey we are talking.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I am tired of moribund Brigadoon basketball teams playing well against Kansas then going back to octagon slumber. Just a pisser of a season.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

its been not a very fun season to watch outside of the big games (UK, Houston, Uconn).

That gives me hope.

I keep looking for hope.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I was always one of the ones that out a high value on the conference title.

I think that is shifting. With the fucking stupid conference realignment these days, the free agents, the NIL, the salary caps, the unions.....its becoming more championship or at least final four or bust kind of environment.

and, that sucks. like everything.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:49 am This board is negative as fuck today, no surprise after a loss.

A realistic perspective. This is a very good KU team, with very good college players. We already have 4 wins against top 10 schools.

But the athletic talent of this roster isn't special. It doesn't seperate us from the rest of the field. Soooo we have to play well to win games. If not we are vulnerable to upsets, other teams can match up with us physically.

And in the best league in college basketball, we're gonna lose a few games.

So you can let it stress you out, or you can enjoy the grind
KU can win without playing well if they play aggressive and smart. That's the problem. They have shown that they can come out and just not play hard or smart. They're college kids and some of that is expected over the course of the season. But not many KU teams that make deep tourney runs have this many games in a season where that is the case. Who knows, we'll see. The tourney field gets more erratic every year so it's anyone's title to win.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 am I was always one of the ones that out a high value on the conference title.

I think that is shifting. With the fucking stupid conference realignment these days, the free agents, the NIL, the salary caps, the unions.....its becoming more championship or at least final four or bust kind of environment.

and, that sucks. like everything.
I like when KU wins. Games, conferences, tourneys, whatever. If there is a trophy to win, I'd like it to be in KU's trophy case.