Official Scott Drew Sucks Game Thread

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Official Scott Drew Sucks Game Thread

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 pm Timberlake was active and aggressive. I'll take it. He made some mistakes, but also made some big plays. The steal and the dunk, he had a block later in the game, and a big rebound. Made a couple threes
He was better than Braun and Jackson but was still terrible. At least he managed to have a couple of good plays in his 31 minutes.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

What did Braun do that was bad? I thought he did fine.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:43 pm
Jayhawkerr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:42 pm Hoping Juan is going to be OK.
Looks like a high ankle sprain. Painful as fuck, will be hobbled and not at 100 percent for a couple weeks, but will be ok
Thanks for the medical diagnosis, Dr Pussbag
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 pm
Jayhawkerr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:42 pm Hoping Juan is going to be OK.
Looks like a high ankle sprain. Painful as fuck, will be hobbled and not at 100 percent for a couple weeks, but will be ok
The adults were talking. Jayhawker and I hope dajuans ankle isn't too serious and he will be ok.

What about you overlander, are you going to be OK? You must be miserable, going that far out of your way to be an ass
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:33 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 pm

The adults were talking. Jayhawker and I hope dajuans ankle isn't too serious and he will be ok.

What about you overlander, are you going to be OK? You must be miserable, going that far out of your way to be an ass
Is that a snot bubble in your nose?
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:56 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 pm Timberlake was active and aggressive. I'll take it. He made some mistakes, but also made some big plays. The steal and the dunk, he had a block later in the game, and a big rebound. Made a couple threes
If Self ranked all the players who played from best to worst, Timberlake would have been last on his list tonight.

Hit some 3s. Had a nice steal/dunk. Had a nice block. And also had at least a half dozen missed defensive rotations resulting in wide open 3s... and an absolutely unforced pass out of bounds under 40sec on the clock trying to force it to Hunter.
Rollercoaster game for Timberlake. His athleticism helps with some big plays.

But man, the last play of the game - what the hell was he doing? Juan got screened, he was the closest to be able to help, but instead he backed off to guard someone who was already guarded and didn't have the ball. That was really lucky.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And let a 41 percent three point shooter have the most wide open 3 in the game.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t think enough credit has been given to our defensive effort last night

yes, drew (who sucks) and his squad kinda pissed down their leg, but our defensive intensity was great for the most part

obviously it’s different at home, but the first few minutes were fantastic and set the kind of tone we needed. i don’t think a KM-less squad coulda played from behind last night and pulled out a win
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We were the best I’ve seen this season at ball screen defense. We did everything in that department basically right ( sans a few Timberlake, Furphy and Elmarko boneheaded decisions ).

Hounded the hell outta them on the perimeter.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

is Timberlake the worst player to start a game for Kansas (non senior night) in thr Self era? I must be missing someone.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:18 am i don’t think enough credit has been given to our defensive effort last night

yes, drew (who sucks) and his squad kinda pissed down their leg, but our defensive intensity was great for the most part

obviously it’s different at home, but the first few minutes were fantastic and set the kind of tone we needed. i don’t think a KM-less squad coulda played from behind last night and pulled out a win
Our defense was great for large chunks of the game. Very similar to the UConn game where the opponent just could not get to what they wanted to do in their half-court offense. When KU plays defense like that, I believe they can beat any team in the country.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:29 am is Timberlake the worst player to start a game for Kansas (non senior night) in thr Self era? I must be missing someone.
The only ones I'd consider:

Yesefu started 3 games last year
Quintrell Thomas started a game in 08-09 and Matt Kleinmann started 2 games
Roderick Stewart start a game in 06-07
Christian Moody started 9 games in 05-06
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yesufu worse than Timberlake.
As mentioned, Timberlake had some moments last night and actually did a decent job playing defense all things considered.

Yesufu could not shoot, drive and finish, defend, pass, do anything except dribble fast to nowhere.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that's close, but yea, probably Yesefu
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At least Timberlake can dunk the shit out of the ball.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:29 am is Timberlake the worst player to start a game for Kansas (non senior night) in thr Self era? I must be missing someone.
Naadir tharpe?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:21 pm
Naadir tharpe?
No.
Yesufu.
You know, the dude you likened to Kyle Lowry.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 pm
randylahey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:21 pm
Naadir tharpe?
No.
Yesufu.
You know, the dude you likened to Kyle Lowry.
Same height, weight, athleticism and sophomore year stats. Yesefus were actually slightly better. Yesefu had just dropped back to back 20 point games in an ncaa tournament, something tharpe certainly never did

Yesefu also did that against the team in the tournament that beat KU by ALMOST 40

so cling to the yesefu thing forever if you want, if you have nothing better to do, but at the time it was a reasonable comparison for college players

Yesefu isn't the only bench player or transfer to struggle to find confidence and a role at KU
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thinking Yesufu was better at Kansas than Tharpe just continues to check boxes, and there are so so many boxes, that you have no idea what you are talking about.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I would even go as far to say that one of bill selfs few weaknesses as a coach is instilling confidence in his bench players. His system doesn't allow much creativity for role players. Which is fine, it's why we play efficiently. But he keeps his bench players and role players on such a short leash it crushes their confidence at times

Which is why KU often has "depth issues" despite having high rated blue chip recruits or transfers with proven college success on the bench who are struggling to find their confidence and a role

And I think the Self is the GOAT of college coaches