Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by pdub »

The thing about Hollywood is that he'll do a much better job filling Tyreek's role than MVS and Hardman were supposed to combine to do.

MVS had good speed once he started running but wasn't fast off the line.
He also couldn't cut worth a damn so once the defender(s) saw he was running a fly route they knew just had to keep up with him.
The thing that put fear into all secondaries across the league was Tyreek's straight line speed to beat you deep but that he could just instantly change routes and get an easy 5, 10, 15, 20 yards b/c he and Mahomes knew he'd be open on his change of route.

Hollywood can do this - not as well as Tyreek - but i'd say close.
Stay healthy and he's Pro Bowl ( probably a replacement but still gets to go ) good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:50 am The thing about Hollywood is that he'll do a much better job filling Tyreek's role than MVS and Hardman were supposed to combine to do.

He also couldn't cut worth a damn so once the defender(s) saw he was running a fly route they knew just had to keep up with him.
The thing that put fear into all secondaries across the league was Tyreek's straight line speed to beat you deep but that he could just instantly change routes and get an easy 5, 10, 15, 20 yards b/c he and Mahomes knew he'd be open on his change of route.

Stay healthy and he's Pro Bowl ( probably a replacement but still gets to go ) good.
I agree. I heard some radio dudes this morning say this was a justifiable overpay. I think that's out of touch - a $7mm base and a top-end (with incentives) that's what you paid for MVS last year (and now with a higher cap) - I think it's a great deal for the Chiefs. Not an overpay in the slightest.

Now, it's a deal that you won't get next year if he's any good. But this is going to be life for the Chiefs, at least until Patrick is ready to move to the next phase of things.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:40 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:50 am The thing about Hollywood is that he'll do a much better job filling Tyreek's role than MVS and Hardman were supposed to combine to do.

I agree. I heard some radio dudes this morning say this was a justifiable overpay. I think that's out of touch - a $7mm base and a top-end (with incentives) that's what you paid for MVS last year (and now with a higher cap) - I think it's a great deal for the Chiefs. Not an overpay in the slightest.

Now, it's a deal that you won't get next year if he's any good. But this is going to be life for the Chiefs, at least until Patrick is ready to move to the next phase of things.
Agreed. Look at the list of WRs who were making $7-11 million and not on rookie contracts and the Chiefs are getting a bargain.
Allen Robinson $7.5 million in PIT
Robert Woods $7.6 million in HOU
Adam Thielen $8.3 million in CAR
JuJu Smith-Shuster $8.5 million in NE
Russell Gage $8.5 million in in TB
Tim Patrick $10 million in DEN
Michael Thomas $10 million in NO
Brandin Cooks $10 million in DAL
etc...

This was a great signing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Other great thing is that this draft I think sets us up perfectly for our first pick.
There's a good amount of OL talent and WR talent all in that first round range.

If there's a run on the WR's, we'll get an OL prospect.
If there's a run on OL, WR.
If somehow there's weirdly a run on both to an extreme then we pick best available bc we're the Chiefs and we'll figure it out.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Chiefs really have "best available" needs for depth. WR. LB. Edge. TE. CB. RB. QB. Would not mind seeing that draft. I still want to sneak Bean in there. . .
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OL has to be addressed in the first 3 rounds i'd say.
We need some kind of future plan at tackle.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I really hope we’ll drop back or up. I have to imagine that pick at 32 is worth more to someone else than it will be to us. We are really not setting up to exercise 5th year options on anyone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sold on Adonai Mitchell after his combine showing.
Brian Thomas Jr.
And then a couple OT's.

If all were on the bored around 25, i might just cross fingers and hope one of them fell.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:46 am

Agreed. Look at the list of WRs who were making $7-11 million and not on rookie contracts and the Chiefs are getting a bargain.
etc...

Jeudy might be more talented ( might ) but that's another, whoa, pretty penny for the Browns to spend.

According to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the Browns have agreed to a three-year contract extension with WR Jerry Jeudy worth up to $58 million.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:21 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:46 am

etc...

Jeudy might be more talented ( might ) but that's another, whoa, pretty penny for the Browns to spend.

According to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the Browns have agreed to a three-year contract extension with WR Jerry Jeudy worth up to $58 million.
What a ridiculous overspend. The Browns are just drunk, throwing money at anyone who will look at them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not totally sure how the Browns are keeping this all under the cap.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yow. That is pricey for a WR. Often injured position too. I think KC will look OL hard. But nice to add depth at a few positions
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Sanders from Texas is available at our spot in the 2nd you probably take him as a future Kelce replacement.

Maybe you address OL 1st and trade up a touch to get him and he could serve as a receiver of sorts in place of the WR we missed out on.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 pm I'm not totally sure how the Browns are keeping this all under the cap.
By using cap tricks to push the pain to the future. Ask the Falcons and Saints how that works out.

When it really comes down to it, the Chiefs' unwillingness to play those tricks (the why to that is not solely strategic) is one of the essential building blocks of this current run and its trajectory.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sports teams are the perfect investments for billionaires looking to siphon as much money as possible from taxpayers, and it looks like the Hunt family, who owns the Kansas City Chiefs, is extorting fans with a threat of relocation.

Billionaire Continues Extorting Fans, City Amid Super Bowl Successes
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I was a KC resident, because of the way the ownership has subtly threatened a move, I’d probably vote no on the extended ( is it increased or just extended ) tax.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:22 am If I was a KC resident, because of the way the ownership has subtly threatened a move, I’d probably vote no on the extended ( is it increased or just extended ) tax.
I was surprised to read that there's not a list of alternative cities waiting on the sidelines ready to leap in instantly to make the Hunt'$ dreams come true, should KC balk.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

One would think they would be ashamed to ask for cash from people whose needs are so much greater.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sounds like Sneed to the Titans for a 3rd NEXT YEAR and a 7th this.

I dunno. He’s better than a 3rd. And you don’t even get this years which probably will be a higher 3rd pick.
And depending on what FAs you sign next year you’d get a 3rd anyways.
I’d have just kept him.

Does clear cap for other pickups. We can pay Donovan Smith if we want. Could give a 1 year deal to Steph Gilmore or Xavien Howard and hope he’s healthy,

Guess we CB hunt in the draft.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:14 am Sounds like Sneed to the Titans for a 3rd NEXT YEAR and a 7th this.

I dunno. He’s better than a 3rd. And you don’t even get this years which probably will be a higher 3rd pick.
And depending on what FAs you sign next year you’d get a 3rd anyways.
I’d have just kept him.

Does clear cap for other pickups. We can pay Donovan Smith if we want. Could give a 1 year deal to Steph Gilmore or Xavien Howard and hope he’s healthy,

Guess we CB hunt in the draft.
Underwhelming return, but I think it was a deal that had to get done.