Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:27 am
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:22 am If I was a KC resident, because of the way the ownership has subtly threatened a move, I’d probably vote no on the extended ( is it increased or just extended ) tax.
I was surprised to read that there's not a list of alternative cities waiting on the sidelines ready to leap in instantly to make the Hunt'$ dreams come true, should KC balk.
It is well-understood that Kansas would give the Chiefs whatever it asks for on that side of the line.

Royals are a different story.

Which is why, in jointly asking for the 3/8% sales tax to be extended, the Royals put forward (in the end) a much more serious proposal than the Chiefs did.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: It's a business, a market, and cap space.

How 'bout Those Chiefs!

The Chiefs are trading L'Jarius Sneed to the TITANS!

Chiefs Fans:
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dunno.
I’d rather have kept him if all we are going to sign is Donovan Smith or a different vet tackle.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:13 am
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:22 am If I was a KC resident, because of the way the ownership has subtly threatened a move, I’d probably vote no on the extended ( is it increased or just extended ) tax.
I was surprised to read that there's not a list of alternative cities waiting on the sidelines ready to leap in instantly to make the Hunt'$ dreams come true, should KC balk.
It is well-understood that Kansas would give the Chiefs whatever it asks for on that side of the line.

Which is why, in jointly asking for the 3/8% sales tax to be extended, the Royals put forward (in the end) a much more serious proposal than the Chiefs did.
Public monies for stadiums are gross. Let’s ask the masses to be double taxed (or triple) while we use every resource to avoid such things.

Blech. The stadium needs to come downtown, for sure, but eff this tax.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s an extension of an existing tax?

what’s that revenue been used for up to this point?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:14 am it’s an extension of an existing tax?

Yes. The last round of stadium renovations.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:58 am

Public monies for stadiums are gross. Let’s ask the masses to be double taxed (or triple) while we use every resource to avoid such things.

I would vote no for billionaire subsidies. But I have no issue with someone who would vote yes - it’s not unreasonable or wrong to choose to pay for “luxury” things, and that’s basically what this is.

What I have an issue with is the insulting, glossy attempts to convince people that this is something BUT a billionaire subsidy.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this reminds me a bit of the controversy here with the proposed gondola, except it’s not a county tax, but rather a state-wide tax for a “luxury” relatively few will use directly
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:25 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:58 am

I would vote no for billionaire subsidies. But I have no issue with someone who would vote yes - it’s not unreasonable or wrong to choose to pay for “luxury” things, and that’s basically what this is.

What I have an issue with is the insulting, glossy attempts to convince people that this is something BUT a billionaire subsidy.
Yeah, but your yes, if combined with enough other yes votes, makes everyone who votes no pay for your luxury thing…and the billionaire subsidy. If it was public works (like an airport, for example), I’d say suck it up, but this is, as you mentioned, a luxury item, and not one many (probably close to most based on who you listen to) want to pay for.

It’s really really bad. I’m good with the booth…that’s all private monies.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The value of teams has grown exponentially. If the Hunts were to sell the team, it would be worth in excess of $100Bn (Forbes has is waaaaay lower for whatever reason--but Mahomes is not factored in). They need to pay for renovations themselves (loan is easy) or be willing to trade value to the city in exchange. But saying, "nice tourist industry you have there, would be a shame if something happened to it" should be illegal. And trying to get poor saps in another state to launch a bidding war should not be acceptable either.
Last edited by Sparko on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's complicated.

I'm not for subsidizing billionaires either, but the games do generate business that creates employment opportunities not connected to the Chiefs/stadium, that might not do as well or exist, otherwise. How much would that cost the city?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 am this reminds me a bit of the controversy here with the proposed gondola, except it’s not a county tax, but rather a state-wide tax for a “luxury” relatively few will use directly
I can imagine that might be a hard sell.

Where will the Gondola be? From SLC to Park City?
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm It's complicated.

I'm not for subsidizing billionaires either, but the games do generate business that creates employment opportunities not connected to the Chiefs/stadium, that might not do as well or exist, otherwise. How much would that cost the city?
If Hunt sells the team tomorrow to San Antonio for Billions, how much goes to Kansas City? These investments, if they lock in value for the community, are okay. Billionaires are not like you and me, as Fitzgerald posited. They got that way stealing money and value.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:14 am it’s an extension of an existing tax?

Yes, and because people are already used to paying it and love the Chiefs, it seems less insidious.

(I typed "insidious" then looked it up. Seems apt, and there's a lesson for ousdahl included, for no extra cost!

proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects.

"sexually transmitted diseases can be insidious and sometimes without symptoms"
)
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:10 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm It's complicated.

If Hunt sells the team tomorrow to San Antonio for Billions, how much goes to Kansas City? These investments, if they lock in value for the community, are okay. Billionaires are not like you and me, as Fitzgerald posited. They got that way stealing money and value.
And sadly, the jobs they created will "go" with them.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:09 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 am this reminds me a bit of the controversy here with the proposed gondola, except it’s not a county tax, but rather a state-wide tax for a “luxury” relatively few will use directly

Little Cottonwood Canyon, and that’s it

the proposal would make it the largest/longest/biggest free-standing gondola in the world

legislators and DoT officials apparently visited one in Europe and were bowled over

not surprising, the owners of Alta and Snowbird (Snowbird in particular), are the major backers. the owner of Snowbird just so happened to buy up one of the last remaining chunks of undeveloped land at the mouth of the canyon, which is exactly where the base station of gondola would have to be

edit:

it’s all so silly. “they” think that the gondola will reduce auto traffic and relieve congestion…why? it seems much more likely that, barring formal restrictions on autos in the canyon (which isn’t on the board as i’m aware), the result will just be more people in the canyon
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I remember the Sam Walton story who as an old man billionaire picked a dime off the pavement during an interview and put it in his pocket.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:24 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:09 pm

Little Cottonwood Canyon, and that’s it

the proposal would make it the largest/longest/biggest free-standing gondola in the world

legislators and DoT officials apparently visited one in Europe and were bowled over

not surprising, the owners of Alta and Snowbird (Snowbird in particular), are the major backers. the owner of Snowbird just so happened to buy up one of the last remaining chunks of undeveloped land at the mouth of the canyon, which is exactly where the base station of gondola would have to be

edit:

it’s all so silly. “they” think that the gondola will reduce auto traffic and relieve congestion…why? it seems much more likely that, barring formal restrictions on autos in the canyon (which isn’t on the board as i’m aware), the result will just be more people in the canyon
Getting up and down Little Cottonwood has sucked for decades, so I can understand them wanting to try to get people to park at the base and use another means to get up. But using a statewide tax to pay for it seems a lot to ask, when as you pointed out, only a small % of mostly above average income people will benefit from it.
Anand Giridharadas
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:40 am I dunno.
I’d rather have kept him if all we are going to sign is Donovan Smith or a different vet tackle.
We getting the Titans 3rd round next year because the Titans do not have a 3rd round this year. But this was really about Sneed getting paid what he deserves as the best CB in the NFL. The Chiefs are getting $20 million now for free agency to round out the roster with still a lot of needs. We going bargain hunting.

I have been watching free agency with an eye towards how it will change teams picks in the 1st round.
It looks like the Chiefs can get a WR1 with the first pick why the best of the best OT's will be gone. With the second pick all the top WR's would be gone why there looks like there will be some nice OT's sill available.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, this draft seems to line up well with our needs.

I’d rather kept Sneed.
Do we think Watson is up to the task of full time corner? We are are CB savant of sorts so maybe.

If somehow a lot of the best WR and OL are drafted would you take Kool Aid?