Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by pdub »

That Chiefs 2023 thread's gettin' pretty big.
Should we move over here?

Chiefs say goodbye to Tommy Townsend and hello to a punter with a bit of 'yikes' around his name.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/395 ... -announces

This guy:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/29/22 ... -potential
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by Sparko »

Yeah. Will need its own thread. Toughest job in football will be keeping the team together
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This would be quite dumb but also quite awesome.
You'd definitely have to say goodbye to either Sneed or Chris Jones but if you cut MVS, somehow tagged and traded Sneed and got a low 1st or high 2nd, it would be possible.
And then you'd have Evans, Rice and maybe, by trading your 1st and 2nd to move up, Brian Thomas Jr.

Filthy.

Kansas City Chiefs
Sign WR Mike Evans and draft a WR at No. 32
It's hard to critique the team that just won a second straight Super Bowl, but we all know that the Chiefs' wide receivers were a disappointment. That's the clear area where Kansas City can improve as it attempts to become the first team to win three straight Super Bowls.
Start with the best player on the market -- and he just happens to have a ring of his own already. Yes, Evans will be 31 years old this year, but he's still playing at a high level. Evans ranked 23rd in DVOA among qualifying wide receivers last season and has 10 straight years with at least 1,000 receiving yards. And he's money in the red zone, with 13 touchdowns last season. Imagine Patrick Mahomes throwing to Evans on one side with Rashee Rice on the other side and Travis Kelce in the middle. It's enough for Chiefs Kingdom to already start planning another celebration.
And what to do about Evans' age? Well, start preparing for the inevitable by using that No. 32 pick on another wide receiver who can gradually step in over the next couple of years. Florida State's Keon Coleman has similar size and would make a perfect heir apparent to Evans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... ency-draft
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:03 am This would be quite dumb but also quite awesome.
You'd definitely have to say goodbye to either Sneed or Chris Jones but if you cut MVS, somehow tagged and traded Sneed and got a low 1st or high 2nd, it would be possible.
And then you'd have Evans, Rice and maybe, by trading your 1st and 2nd to move up, Brian Thomas Jr.

Filthy.

Kansas City Chiefs
Sign WR Mike Evans and draft a WR at No. 32
It's hard to critique the team that just won a second straight Super Bowl, but we all know that the Chiefs' wide receivers were a disappointment. That's the clear area where Kansas City can improve as it attempts to become the first team to win three straight Super Bowls.
Start with the best player on the market -- and he just happens to have a ring of his own already. Yes, Evans will be 31 years old this year, but he's still playing at a high level. Evans ranked 23rd in DVOA among qualifying wide receivers last season and has 10 straight years with at least 1,000 receiving yards. And he's money in the red zone, with 13 touchdowns last season. Imagine Patrick Mahomes throwing to Evans on one side with Rashee Rice on the other side and Travis Kelce in the middle. It's enough for Chiefs Kingdom to already start planning another celebration.
And what to do about Evans' age? Well, start preparing for the inevitable by using that No. 32 pick on another wide receiver who can gradually step in over the next couple of years. Florida State's Keon Coleman has similar size and would make a perfect heir apparent to Evans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... ency-draft
I'd rather have a drafted WR, Sneed and Chris Jones than Mike Evans, Sneed a some rando DT. I just don't see KC spending big FA money on a 30 year old WR. That isn't their model of things.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree.
But oh man Mahomes would tear the league apart with Evans, Rice, stud 1st round WR and Kelce.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Resources are resources. I think it would be VERY foolish to both spend big money on Evans AND trade up for Thomas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Give me Bucky Irving in the 4th round ( might even consider him end of 3rd ) and Austin Booker ( go KU! ) with the 38th pick ( comp pick ) in the 5th.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Booker will be gone. Fairchild would be a good invite. And Bean. Lots of potential
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Booker won’t for sure be gone…some draft projections have him as a 6th rounder…others as high as 2nd.

I’d give Bean a look as an UDFA.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The NFL cap came out at $255.4 million per team -- a stunning 13.6 percent increase over last year's cap.

The Chiefs are like $18 million under and with some simple moves now can be like $60 million plus under.
So Bosa's contract ly was 5 year 170 million. Bosa's cap number was $11 million ly $14 million next year and $20 million the year after. Then it goes to $42 million and then the 49ers can get out before the $52 million year. LOL

Hill's 4 year $120 million contract is never going to happen. Hill gets $45 million his last year and the fins can walk before that $56 million cap hit.

So sign Jones and the cap hit is nada, tag Sneed and keep for one year and draft a WR #1.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Thank you, Taylor Swift for your part in generating the massive salary cap increase.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Problem here is, Jones and his agents may just simply ask for more money now negating any possible space from the increase.

Maybe Chris wants 32 a year now.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:52 pm Problem here is, Jones and his agents may just simply ask for more money now negating any possible space from the increase.

On the other hand, he’s a (big) year older, played a fairly low snap percentage this year and didn’t put up crazy counting stats.

I think he is clearly worth incrementally more than the second highest-paid guy, not incrementally less than Donald.

I think there will be room to extend him (and manipulate the cap hit for the guaranteed portion) AND put the non-exclusive tag on Sneed. See where that goes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:20 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:52 pm Problem here is, Jones and his agents may just simply ask for more money now negating any possible space from the increase.

On the other hand, he’s a (big) year older, played a fairly low snap percentage this year and didn’t put up crazy counting stats.

I think he is clearly worth incrementally more than the second highest-paid guy, not incrementally less than Donald.

I think there will be room to extend him (and manipulate the cap hit for the guaranteed portion) AND put the non-exclusive tag on Sneed. See where that goes.
The larger cap certainly makes it more likely that both Jones and Sneed return so that's awesome. It just adds to the intrigue of how they maneuver through this offseason. If we start seeing some contract adjustments by Mahomes and other players under contract prior to the free agent window opening then things will start getting really interesting. Having a legit shot at being the first team to go back to back to back HAS to weigh on these guys a bit.

And a decision on whether to tag Sneed will have to come soon. Teams have until Tuesday, March 5 at 4 p.m. ET to place a franchise tag on a player.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would tag Gay. Sign everyone else. Draft.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tag Gay?
I think that’s an overpay.

Tagging Sneed makes sense if you want to keep or trade him.

Tagging Jones only makes sense if you already have a trade in place.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have no expectation that Gay will be back. Someone will pay him like he’s someone he’s not.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You have to watch this:

https://youtu.be/0GRGjw6Fih0?si=_kuKp70H6eGIACpp

Best discussion of the early Chiefs and Super Bowl One I have seen
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:45 am I would tag Gay. Sign everyone else. Draft.
That's too expensive for Gay, who can be replaced at a far lower price. I don't expect he will be back. A linebacker with lingering neck issues is worrisome to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Chiefs HC Andy Reid is expected to begin negotiations on a new contract in the coming weeks.

Not that this should change all that much - he could still retire at anytime - but at least you'd think with an extension, it won't be in the next i'd say two seasons.