COOOOOOOOGARS

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: COOOOOOOOGARS

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:00 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:58 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am I'm sorry but I can't watch the way Hunter plays and not think he isn't as driven as he could possibly be.
It's not cool/collected and passion either like a Tim Duncan.
It's, if I ( I in bold ) do something great, celebrate me. He does a ton of that. Even if KU is loosing.

I know i'm putting myself out in the eye test zone and I hate the eye test zone but pdub's eye test says you can't NOT place some of this blame on a guy who ( TO ME ) isn't tough or a good leader and is largely here so he could make more money.

Bigger problems are Kevin being hurt and depth ( bench does nothing ) - but you can't just ignore the above ( or I can't and don't think others should ).
I think there's more than a touch of confirmation bias here - I think you are predisposed to see the negative in Hunter, who you do not like, and who represents things you do not like.
I don't disagree fully.
But it's pretty obvious that he gives up on plays every single game ( to be fair, I didn't watch last nights game so I can't speak to that specifically but holy shit, that's a focus thing if you shoot 6-15 from the free throw line ) - if you don't see that, you aren't watching.
I like HD.

In a game like last night, with KM out, and it an absolute must win for the league race, he should have taken 20-30+ shots. Carry us. The others aren't capable of shouldering the load left by KM.

The thing is, he can't "carry" an elite team. If he could then he'd be in the NBA already.

Great college player, no doubt. But without KM he isn't able to go to another level. It's still just 20 and 10, which is unbelievable.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yes.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

imagine swinging your arm like a big elephant cock between your legs after hitting a 3 when it didn't win the game, you were 6-15 from the free throw line and you're 6-32 from 3 in conference.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:25 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am I think elmarko is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in.
I don't think he's done a good job at learning the system, he still looks the most lost of the bunch....but it's hard. I get it. Most freshman struggle to understand everything.

I DO think he's done a GREAT job at keeping a positive attitude regardless of his role.

I like his attitude from the outside....but i felt the same way about yesufu Pettiford Rice Udeh and Zuby last year, and well, they still left KU.
Furphy has learned more, more quickly, with less run
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 am He also wasted a scholarship on a dude who is redshirting and probably will leave the program (again)
Nah, Clemence has a girlfriend at KU and doesn't have NBA aspirations.

He clearly didn't want to leave KU in the first place.

Sure seems to me based on how everything went down that he was forced out and then he reached out and asked to come back.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

For Dickinson, successfully, to be your best player...he has to have an elite gunner playing at the point or at one of the wings.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am I'm sorry but I can't watch the way Hunter plays and not think he isn't as driven as he could possibly be.
It's not cool/collected and passion either like a Tim Duncan.
It's, if I ( I in bold ) do something great, celebrate me. He does a ton of that. Even if KU is loosing.

I know i'm putting myself out in the eye test zone and I hate the eye test zone but pdub's eye test says you can't NOT place some of this blame on a guy who ( TO ME ) isn't tough or a good leader and is largely here so he could make more money.

Bigger problems are Kevin being hurt and depth ( bench does nothing ) - but you can't just ignore the above ( or I can't and don't think others should ).
I think there's more than a touch of confirmation bias here - I think you are predisposed to see the negative in Hunter, who you do not like, and who represents things you do not like.
I don't disagree fully.
But it's pretty obvious that he gives up on plays every single game ( to be fair, I didn't watch last nights game so I can't speak to that specifically but holy shit, that's a focus thing if you shoot 6-15 from the free throw line ) - if you don't see that, you aren't watching.
I think - and I'm glad to have the discussion with you, which is why I'm responding to you and not similar posts like yours - when we have words like "gives up" and "focus" in the conversation, we also need to recognize the physical and mental burden we are placing on the few good guys we have. And we know minutes take a toll on bigs in a more acute way than small guys.

We've had thin teams before, but...even in 2008-09, Cole didn't play even 30 mpg. Even in 2011-12, Thomas Robinson only played 31.8 mpg, and Withey played 24.8 mpg. Even in 2018-19, Dedric only played 32.6 mpg.

Hunter is averaging 32.3 mpg, and that average is probably a bit misleading (in that it does not yet reflect the next 10ish games, all but one of which we can expect to be battles).

I 100% - 1000000%, 100000000000000% - agree that Hunter fails the eye test too much. I just personally lean against (recognizing my own biases!) ascribing those failures to heart in the first position of blame.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This teams problem is a bunch of dumbasses gave a preaseason #1 ranking to a very average kansas team

Every player on the roster except mccullar has at least 1 glaring weakness for their position.

And it's a team of newcomers, bunch of freshman and transfers that haven't really played together much
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:21 am Not even that hot of takes from Infinite J ( though I expect Furphy to return ).

I dunno if getting Timberlake is really Self's fault though - a lot of teams wanted him - he was scorching nets and you'd think that 3 point shooting would translate well enough to our level we needed him at.
Timberlake referenced it the other day...he said something like it's hard for him to warm up, then sit for 15-20min and then come in for 5min and have rhythm, before sitting again. Well, unfortunately that's your role.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:44 am imagine swinging your arm like a big elephant cock between your legs after hitting a 3 when it didn't win the game, you were 6-15 from the free throw line and you're 6-32 from 3 in conference.
I'd hope someone would sit me down and tell me I'm being a dipshit.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake fell victim to the same circumstances yesefu did.

He's not a great defender and didn't know selfs system yet. Self gives a short leash to players while they try to learn and become comfortable.

And in that learning curve he lost his confidence
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 am This teams problem is a bunch of dumbasses gave a preaseason #1 ranking to a very average kansas team

Every player on the roster except mccullar has at least 1 glaring weakness for their position.

And it's a team of newcomers, bunch of freshman and transfers that haven't really played together much
I love McCullar, but he has a huge glaring issue that has kept him out of the draft the last couple of years; he's not a good shooter...he has improved, but after a hot start to the season, he's fallen back to Earth as the mediocre shooter he's been his entire collage career...I'm sure the injury is partly to blame...but the dude is rumored to be shutting it down because his bad shooting percentage as of late has been hurting his draft stock.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:51 am

I don't disagree fully.
I think - and I'm glad to have the discussion with you, which is why I'm responding to you and not similar posts like yours - when we have words like "gives up" and "focus" in the conversation, we also need to recognize the physical and mental burden we are placing on the few good guys we have. And we know minutes take a toll on bigs in a more acute way than small guys.

We've had thin teams before, but...even in 2008-09, Cole didn't play even 30 mpg. Even in 2011-12, Thomas Robinson only played 31.8 mpg, and Withey played 24.8 mpg. Even in 2018-19, Dedric only played 32.6 mpg.

Hunter is averaging 32.3 mpg, and that average is probably a bit misleading (in that it does not yet reflect the next 10ish games, all but one of which we can expect to be battles).

I 100% - 1000000%, 100000000000000% - agree that Hunter fails the eye test too much. I just personally lean against (recognizing my own biases!) ascribing those failures to heart in the first position of blame.
And I would just add to this that last night was a tight turnaround game that had him guarding the perimeter all night. I'm just not surprised that he'd brick a bunch of FTs.

Doesn't make it ok. But I also feel like it's certainly not a situation that is likely to put a footer in a good light. I think it's a Bill problem at LEAST as much as a Hunter problem.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 am
TDub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:44 am imagine swinging your arm like a big elephant cock between your legs after hitting a 3 when it didn't win the game, you were 6-15 from the free throw line and you're 6-32 from 3 in conference.
you and I both
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

It doesn't get brought up much anymore, but his quote about him being glad that KU was preseason #1 because it shows they're better than everyone else, has to be told/showed to every team/player that KU goes against this year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:02 pm
It doesn't get brought up much anymore, but his quote about him being glad that KU was preseason #1 because it shows they're better than everyone else, has to be told/showed to every team/player that KU goes against this year.
To be fair, though, was that quote given before Morris left, Jackson turned out to be a non-contributor and Harris turned out to regress badly?

I don't think expectations were unreasonable at all; does anyone ELSE have three wins as good as UCONN, Houston and Tennessee?

The depth problems haven't hurt our ceiling nearly as much as they have impacted our floor - both in terms of how low it is, and where we generally play on the floor<------>ceiling spectrum.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Harris hasn't regressed "badly".

That's as biased as PDubs analysis of HD.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

somebody posted earlier that we have been bounced in the first weekend 3 of the last 4 years. while the roster has had great turnover. there has been no turnover at the top. maybe that is where we have regressed.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:30 pm Harris hasn't regressed "badly".

That's as biased as PDubs analysis of HD.
Pick whatever word you want I guess.

I think his reputation coming into this year well-exceeded his performance. And he's shooting worse from the floor this year than last, rebounding it less, stealing it less, and his bumped-up assists are offset by bumped-up turnovers.

I don't think it's off-base to say he has regressed; he CERTAINLY has not improved.

The burden argument applies to him also - I'm not saying he molests collies. But I am also somewhat tired of, in video game terms, lionizing 72 OVR guys with 74 POT, and shitting on 86 OVR guys with 94 POT.

I recognize that we have had success. But I'm over the Garrett/Harris era.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 pm somebody posted earlier that we have been bounced in the first weekend 3 of the last 4 years. while the roster has had great turnover. there has been no turnover at the top. maybe that is where we have regressed.
Bill blames a lot of that on the NCAA investigations...so I guess we'll see.