COOOOOOOOGARS

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COOOOOOOOGARS

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:40 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 pm somebody posted earlier that we have been bounced in the first weekend 3 of the last 4 years. while the roster has had great turnover. there has been no turnover at the top. maybe that is where we have regressed.
Bill blames a lot of that on the NCAA investigations...so I guess we'll see.
I make nothing out of last year's exit, with all of the craziness around Bill. And the __ in __ years stat doesn't factor in 2020...when I don't think there was a very big chance at all of a first weekend exit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

As negative as I am this morning, a reasonable mental snapshot of the last four seasons is

[Final Four]
Second Round
Title
Second Round*
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:50 pm As negative as I am this morning, a reasonable mental snapshot of the last four seasons is

[Title]
Second Round
Title
Second Round*
FYP

We were going to be EASILY the number one overall seed in a season where morans were going, "well there actually isn't any big time favorite this year, anyone could win it" when all the signs pointed to those saying that just being morans and wrong. That team was Kansas.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

maybe the entitled nature of our fans is rubbing off on our players
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:40 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:30 pm Harris hasn't regressed "badly".

That's as biased as PDubs analysis of HD.
Pick whatever word you want I guess.

I think his reputation coming into this year well-exceeded his performance. And he's shooting worse from the floor this year than last, rebounding it less, stealing it less, and his bumped-up assists are offset by bumped-up turnovers.

I don't think it's off-base to say he has regressed; he CERTAINLY has not improved.

The burden argument applies to him also - I'm not saying he molests collies. But I am also somewhat tired of, in video game terms, lionizing 72 OVR guys with 74 POT, and shitting on 86 OVR guys with 94 POT.

I recognize that we have had success. But I'm over the Garrett/Harris era.
His per 100 possession stats are almost identical.

Shooting percentages almost identical, other than improving his free throw % this year.

Steals are down and turnovers are up. Steals can be explained by maybe not being able to gamble as much. Turnovers up because he's always the primary ballhandler. Jalen gave him breaks last year.

I don't think he's improved in his box score stats because much of what he does well doesn't show up there...

But I certainly think he's at or close to his ceiling. Which isn't a knock. He's been here a long time and isn't an NBA caliber player.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't say he's regressed either.
He just hasn't improved.

Feels like exactly the same dude as last season. OK. That's a good player...very strong defender...but still somewhat a liability on offense.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm I wouldn't say he's regressed either.
He just hasn't improved.
And I'd argue that, in this context, even a mere failure to improve is pretty disappointing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:03 pm
He just hasn't improved.
And I'd argue that, in this context, even a mere failure to improve is pretty disappointing.
Yea.
I expected better.
But I don't think Harris is currently high on the list for what ails us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:40 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:30 pm Harris hasn't regressed "badly".

That's as biased as PDubs analysis of HD.
Pick whatever word you want I guess.

I think his reputation coming into this year well-exceeded his performance. And he's shooting worse from the floor this year than last, rebounding it less, stealing it less, and his bumped-up assists are offset by bumped-up turnovers.

I don't think it's off-base to say he has regressed; he CERTAINLY has not improved.

The burden argument applies to him also - I'm not saying he molests collies. But I am also somewhat tired of, in video game terms, lionizing 72 OVR guys with 74 POT, and shitting on 86 OVR guys with 94 POT.

I recognize that we have had success. But I'm over the Garrett/Harris era.
His per 100 possession stats are almost identical.

Shooting percentages almost identical, other than improving his free throw % this year.

Steals are down and turnovers are up. Steals can be explained by maybe not being able to gamble as much. Turnovers up because he's always the primary ballhandler. Jalen gave him breaks last year.

I don't think he's improved in his box score stats because much of what he does well doesn't show up there...

But I certainly think he's at or close to his ceiling. Which isn't a knock. He's been here a long time and isn't an NBA caliber player.
I would not agree at all that 43.3% on 2s is, particularly on fewer shots, "almost identical" to 47.1%.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dajuan hasn't regressed. He's improved. He's getting better at scoring actually. He might be averaging double figures in conference play?

The thing about dajuan is He's an elite role player that some unrealistic fans are wanting to grow into a star. But he just doesn't have the tools to be that. He's near his ceiling. He's never going to wake up being a quick explosive PG
Last edited by randylahey on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:05 pm I would not agree at all that 43.3% on 2s is, particularly on fewer shots, "almost identical" to 47.1%.
It's not.

But also as randy just said, his scoring in B12 play has gotten better.
He's attacked the rim/space more with his floater.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:04 pm
He just hasn't improved.
Yea.
I expected better.
It's roster construction. Again, I'm not saying he molests collies.

Hunter and Kevin can be the two best players on a championship roster. But the third had BETTER be a near-AA level ballhandler. And we do not have one of those on our roster.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If it makes you guys feel better, we already have a PG on the roster with elite tools, and we have another committed next season.

Dajuan is a good player, but it will be nice having 6'3/6'4 athletic point guards like elmarko or labaron philon in the system. Just need to let them grow
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He just hasn't improved.
Endless potential isn't realistic for every player though.

Self generally seems pretty pleased with DH.

How good is good enough for a guy who was never brought here to be "the star" or develop into an NBA player?

He's surpassed (by a long shot) any and every expectation I had for him when he got here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Yea.
I expected better.

Hunter and Kevin can be the two best players on a championship roster. But the third had BETTER be a near-AA level ballhandler. And we do not have one of those on our roster.
3 AAs minimum? That's a high bar for a team to achieve.

DH is a Cousy award finalist. Even if you're a hater, he's a top 20 PG in CBB. That's plenty good enough.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:09 pm If it makes you guys feel better, we already have a PG on the roster with elite tools, and we have another committed next season.

Dajuan is a good player, but it will be nice having 6'3/6'4 athletic point guards like elmarko or labaron philon in the system. Just need to let them grow
In my opinion, Elmarko has put very little down on his college tape that shows his supposed elite tools. His college tape - to this point - shows an undersized 2 who is perhaps an above-average athlete, and definitely a below-average shooter.

And count me out for a while on assuming we have anything at all in any freshman guard.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:09 pm If it makes you guys feel better, we already have a PG on the roster with elite tools, and we have another committed next season.
Elmarko's only elite tool right now is that he is athletic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Yea.
I expected better.

3 AAs minimum? That's a high bar for a team to achieve.

DH is a Cousy award finalist. Even if you're a hater, he's a top 20 PG in CBB. That's plenty good enough.
I don't think two AAs and one near-AA is an unrealistic bar for a program like ours.

And your second point is mine: absolutely Harris is "plenty good enough" to start on a championship team. But it requires a roster that is...much better than this one.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We have 4 guys as good as we had on our last NC winning team....the problem are the guys 5-8.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this season got derailed as soon as km got hurt. we were not going to win the league anyway. houston is that good. but if km is healthy, we are not having this conversation.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"