2024/2025 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:27 pm The season isn't over. What other answer could he possibly have given?

Teams will make a go at him. Regardless of portal status. I think it makes sense for him to stay.....unless he gets beaten out by the new freshman and/or gets recruited over by transfers, then maybe he should go.

We'll know a lot more about how this team will look in the next 6-8 weeks.
Are other coaches actively trying to coerse guys to enter the portal? Surely this sport has not fallen that low yet

In professional sports that's called tampering
Last edited by randylahey on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:34 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:27 pm The season isn't over. What other answer could he possibly have given?

Teams will make a go at him. Regardless of portal status. I think it makes sense for him to stay.....unless he gets beaten out by the new freshman and/or gets recruited over by transfers, then maybe he should go.

We'll know a lot more about how this team will look in the next 6-8 weeks.
Our other coaches actively trying to coerse guys to enter the portal? Surely this sport has fallen that low yet

In professional sports that's called tampering
Well, this isn't professional sports. I think. Haha
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

More from elmarko, commenting on selfs history of developing players. This doesn't sound like a guy who is thinking about entering the portal
https://twitter.com/shre98/status/17705 ... 5ID3w&s=19
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Michael Swain gives an early look at the big offseason that is coming for Kansas basketball.

Kansas basketball faces a big offseason
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Zach clemence is still on the team too. Will be interesting how much his redshirt year helped him
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksnt.c ... eason/amp/

Ouch.

“I think for the last month, I’ve been thinking about next season, to be honest. Not in the moments during the game, but obviously, we played — we had eight guys on scholarship, and we play — I mean, that were healthy there late. Injuries are part of the game. That’s not an excuse. But we could have done a much better job as a staff of putting more guys out there that we could play. And so that’s something that I’ve thought about for a long time. The thing about it is, in basketball, early on you can play through some things. But the course of a season, there’s a grind that goes with it and bodies get run down, injuries occur. It’s all part of it. When you don’t have as much firepower or that maybe you’ve had in past years, it certainly showed this year.”

Cal ain't the only coach throwing some players under busses this March.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

- KJ
- Furph
- another versatile shooter wing guy
- a dynamic combo guard good enough to also make Dajuan look good enough
- Dajuan

since KJ ain't goning no where, let's embrace him as the undersized center he is, more so than the non-shooting shooting-forward he isn't.

Furph back would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

then the other big returnee is Dajuan. But after 2 straight years of both Dajuan regressing individually and Dajuan-led teams seeming to kinda, what's the word I want here..."suck?", just think we need more than just Dajuan as a lead option.

And maybe we get Hunter back too. On one hand, you gotta take back an AA sort of talent right. But on the other, Hunter's own limitations prob require a similar sort of introspection we need about Dajuan. Heck, maybe we need to just get introspective about KJ too.

All 3 of these doods have holes in their game so glaring that I just dunno if they're the type of doods we should be building around as multi-year starters, especially/at least in the way their games compliment/don't compliment one another.

A big slow old school center paired with a non-shooter tweener forward whose offense is limited to 10 feet isn't great. Nor is a non-shooter tweener forward paired with a non-shooter lead guard. Nor is a non-shooter lead guard paired with a non-lob finishing below the rim old school center. Just might have some square pegs in round holes here.

And I like the idea of having some pieces in place that you can just plug transfers next to to complete a lineup. but when the pieces in place have the limitations they do, it kinda forces us to rely on the portal to come up with pieces as important as, who's gonna score for us? Who's gonna run our offense when the incumbent offense stagnates again? who's gonna anchor the defense when we're getting defensively burned again?

Bench:

Flory: if he can give us freshman SDS minutes by March, that'd be yuge

Clemence: 4th year system big, prob at least worth keeping around to see how that redshirt year paid off.

Elmarko: looked clueless for much of the year, but a raw talent enough to think he's worth keeping around another year in a "bird in the hand" kinda way...who knows, his ceiling might even be that dynamic combo guard that's missing from the lineup. We're a long way from there to here, but the best thing about freshmen is, they become sophomores.

McDowell...he seemed to show a little poise early, and I'd take him back again in a bird in the hand way I guess...but we're also getting to the end of the roster that's deciding whether to use that scholar on existing like 9th deep on the rotation guys, versus scoring a more ready player from the portal maybe.

other newcomer freshies: good to have some new talent coming up with Passmore and Jon Voight's LeBaron, but dunno if either of these recruits project as day-one impact guys.

other newcomers: hit the portal for some depth yet at pretty much every position...or heck, maybe hit the true freshy recruiting trail too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess is Flory, if Diamond boi is gone, will be more involved than you are listing above.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 am
then the other big returnee is Dajuan. But after 2 straight years of both Dajuan regressing individually and Dajuan-led teams seeming to kinda, what's the word I want here..."suck?", just think we need more than just Dajuan as a lead option.
someone on here compared DH to Aaron Miles at one point, but that's not even close, IMO.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Gonzaga tore us up by using 6'10 shooters to space the pick and roll. No reason we can't do something similar with Zach clemence
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:37 am My guess is Flory, if Diamond boi is gone, will be more involved than you are listing above.
I'm really excited for flory. He's raw and going to be frustrating at times. We won't run a single play for him unless you count using him as a screener.

"Just go play hard and be athletic"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksnt.c ... eason/amp/

Ouch.

“I think for the last month, I’ve been thinking about next season, to be honest. Not in the moments during the game, but obviously, we played — we had eight guys on scholarship, and we play — I mean, that were healthy there late. Injuries are part of the game. That’s not an excuse. But we could have done a much better job as a staff of putting more guys out there that we could play. And so that’s something that I’ve thought about for a long time. The thing about it is, in basketball, early on you can play through some things. But the course of a season, there’s a grind that goes with it and bodies get run down, injuries occur. It’s all part of it. When you don’t have as much firepower or that maybe you’ve had in past years, it certainly showed this year.”

I don't think saying "having a bunch of injuries exposed that we don't have as many playable players as we normally have" is throwing players under the bus. I didn't take it as a "the players we have suck". They are literally four players short of a normal season with the two penalty scholarships, the Morris scholarship and Clemence's redshirt. They do not have as much firepower that they have had in past years.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What I'd like to see:
Starters:

Hunter Dickinson
Flory Bidunga
Liam McNeeley
Transfer Portal Shooter
Dajuan Harris

Bench Bigs:
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence

Bench Guards/Wings:
One more transfer shooter
Elmarko Jackson
Jamari McDowell
Labaron Philon
Rakease Passmore
I think we're using the last ncaa penalty scholarship here

Elmarko and McDowell both are talented, you can see it. They just need time and reps to develop. Elmarko and Philon would be the backup PGs. KJ is much better suited to be a 20+ mpg big off the bench. He is versatile enough to spell any big. Zach has hopefully spent the season getting stronger and getting shots up from three. We just need to land McNeeley and get a really good shooter and a pretty good shooter. Another really good shooter is going to transfer here once we land the first one.
Last edited by twocoach on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:09 am
DeletedUser wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksnt.c ... eason/amp/

Ouch.

I don't think saying "having a bunch of injuries exposed that we don't have as many playable players as we normally have" is throwing players under the bus. I didn't take it as a "the players we have suck". They are literally four players short of a normal season with the two penalty scholarships, the Morris scholarship and Clemence's redshirt. They do not have as much firepower that they have had in past years.
"We could have done a much better job as a staff of putting more guys out there who could play"

I took that to mean that Elmarko is damn near unplayable. And I'd agree.

Saying we don't have as much firepower is fine. It's true. It is also basically saying some of these guys suck more than the players we usually have.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 am What I'd like to see:
Starters:

Hunter Dickinson
Flory Bidunga
Liam McNeeley
Transfer Portal Shooter
Dajuan Harris

Bench Bigs:
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence

Bench Guards/Wings:
Elmarko Jackson
Jamari McDowell
Labaron Philon
Rakease Passmore
That lineup can't defend
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

mjl2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:17 am
Starters:

Hunter Dickinson
Flory Bidunga
Liam McNeeley
Transfer Portal Shooter
Dajuan Harris

Bench Bigs:
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence

Bench Guards/Wings:
Elmarko Jackson
Jamari McDowell
Labaron Philon
Rakease Passmore
That lineup can't defend
Or create enough space to shoot.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hell yes we want hd back in a JAYHAWK uniform next season.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:18 am
Starters:

Hunter Dickinson
Flory Bidunga
Liam McNeeley
Transfer Portal Shooter
Dajuan Harris

Bench Bigs:
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence

Bench Guards/Wings:
Elmarko Jackson
Jamari McDowell
Labaron Philon
Rakease Passmore
That lineup can't defend
Or create enough space to shoot.
or give Juan any help being the ball up

not to mention if "transfer portal shooter" is Nicolas 2.0 that lineup is potentially, decently worse than this years.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Starters:

Hunter Dickinson
Flory Bidunga
Liam McNeeley
Transfer Portal Shooter
Dajuan Harris

Bench Bigs:
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence

Bench Guards/Wings:
Elmarko Jackson
Jamari McDowell
Labaron Philon
Rakease Passmore
That lineup can't defend
That lineup has three players in it who you have never seen play defense once in your life, including one player who hasn't even been identified by name yet so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion.