Yemen

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Yemen

Post by dolomite »

It’s not understandable to me why since the U.S as powerful as it is can’t or won’t wipe out the Houthis. A small country(even if supported by Iran) shouldn’t be able to cause disruption of shipping and subsequent rises in the cost of goods. The Biden administration is being too timid in their response.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Re: Yemen

Post by twocoach »

And if his response is more severe then your response is "how dare he put us into yet another war overseas!"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:40 am And if his response is more severe then your response is "how dare he put us into yet another war overseas!"
It's a tough job.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Iran is just itching to get the big bad foot buried in their @ss.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Prosperity Guardian is a joint alliance mission. Britain just whacked them again the other day. The issue is trying not to widen this into a regional war benefiting Putin even more. Basically Iran and Russia wanted to goad Netanyahu into a massive reaction. Bibi wanted an excuse to massively overreact. Mission accomplished for both sides. But certainly easier to start than stop.

On the left, people are rightly concerned with human rights. On the right, there is a spectacle of kill them all (Hamas) taking place. Maybe start the end times. Somewhere in the middle, trying to navigate the dangers is American foreign policy
Last edited by Sparko on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Donald Trump will shut that shit down in the first 24 hours...no need to worry.
Last edited by Overlander on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Forgive me for going full CoyDC here, but - why is a small country like Yemen disrupting shipping in the first place?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:55 pm Forgive me for going full CoyDC here, but - why is a small country like Yemen disrupting shipping in the first place?
They have a real tactical advantage.
A lot of traffic going through a very narrow gap
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:02 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:55 pm Forgive me for going full CoyDC here, but - why is a small country like Yemen disrupting shipping in the first place?
Q is trying to bait someone so he can say it's America's fault
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:02 pm
Q is trying to bait someone so he can say it's America's fault
Probably, but there's an easy answer to the question: like their patrons, they hates them some Jooze.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I realize antisemitism is a very real problem in the world, and that steps should be taken against it.

With that said, I can’t help but think something as complex as conflict in the Middle East has any “easy answer” to it.

With that said, I also am indeed concerned that there’s more to this thread than, “they hates them some Jooze.”

But again not to downplay antisemitism.

And while I’m not simply trying to “say it’s America’s fault,” I also think it’s wise to consider America’s role and presence in the Middle East in some pragmatic way, as least if we’re really gonna understand threads like this as well as we can.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m glad that post was early in this thead, before i’ve wasted any more time
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yep
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:48 pm i’m glad that post was early in this thead, before i’ve wasted any more time
^^^
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jeez you guys.

I don't think anything I said is really that controversial.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 pm And while I’m not simply trying to “say it’s America’s fault,” I also think it’s wise to consider America’s role and presence in the Middle East in some pragmatic way, as least if we’re really gonna understand threads like this as well as we can.
Unfortunately our “role and presence” in the Middle East is tied to our (lack of) long term energy policies. Do we care if some faction in Queensland jumps ugly with another faction in New South Wales, aided by another faction in Victoria? For the most part, the answer would be no. We are dependent on Australia for next to nothing that meaningfully affects our economy.

Not so with the Middle East and other OPEC+ countries. Heck, at this point if a shooting war broke out among factions in West Virginia and Kentucky we could tell them to take their coal and shove it, and mean it. However, our government pulls a Sgt Schultz when bone saws are used on our soil.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 pm And while I’m not simply trying to “say it’s America’s fault,” I also think it’s wise to consider America’s role and presence in the Middle East in some pragmatic way, as least if we’re really gonna understand threads like this as well as we can.
JFC.

We get it. You don't have to say this 3 times a week in every single thread on this portion of the site.

Give. It. A. Rest.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:47 am
Unfortunately our “role and presence” in the Middle East is tied to our (lack of) long term energy policies. Do we care if some faction in Queensland jumps ugly with another faction in New South Wales, aided by another faction in Victoria? For the most part, the answer would be no. We are dependent on Australia for next to nothing that meaningfully affects our economy.

Not so with the Middle East and other OPEC+ countries. Heck, at this point if a shooting war broke out among factions in West Virginia and Kentucky we could tell them to take their coal and shove it, and mean it. However, our government pulls a Sgt Schultz when bone saws are used on our soil.
thanks for the thoughtful response, zsn.

yea, energy resources and middle eastern conflicts are highly correlated. As far as I can tell, the Middle East at large seems pretty fed up with the west showing up to take middle eastern oil, and largely taking it by force. Heck, in the wake of the 10/7 attacks and all the gruesome headlines that have come from that, other headlines quietly came and went like, "US and Israel meet to discuss oil and gas opportunities off Gaza coast." Quite the coincidence, I guess.

to that, and to the OP's point, and to CoyDC's question, the answer is actually quite simple: The Yemeni Houthis are fucking with Red Sea shipping as a response to Israeli aggression against and denial of humanitarian aid in Gaza, using weapons provided by and support from - you guessed it - the good ol' US of A. They have been very up front in their intentions here. They also say they won't stop fucking with shipping until a ceasefire is reached.

I'd say this is another example of why, when it comes to understanding global issues, it can be good to seek perspectives broader than just western media, but even western media has reported the Houthi intentions as such.

now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a place to hide before the pols bored pitchfork mob comes after me again.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

poor you...booo hoooo
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:32 am yea, energy resources and middle eastern conflicts are highly correlated. As far as I can tell, the Middle East at large seems pretty fed up with the west showing up to take middle eastern oil, and largely taking it by force.
That how you think it goes?

Such indepth and educational analysis. Sounds like the interpretation of a 9yr old.