Official Scott Drew Still Sucks Thread

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Official Scott Drew Still Sucks Thread

Post by pdub »

Don't have to be wild and there have been several instances every game where it wouldn't have to be - just a jump or a move to another direction.

I call em as I see em.
We see different obviously - though as part of other social communities, I'm not the only one here or elsewhere that sees similar things regarding effort.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we can afford some things. but we cannot afford hd in foul trouble.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am I'm not the only one here or elsewhere that sees similar things regarding effort.
I think it's difficult to judge effort by watching games on TV.

...but outside of Kj, I think energy/effort/focus have been a consistent issue for all of our rotation players this year. So I certainly don't think your effort claims are completely baselss.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am Don't have to be wild and there have been several instances every game where it wouldn't have to be - just a jump or a move to another direction.

I call em as I see em.
We see different obviously - though as part of other social communities, I'm not the only one here or elsewhere that sees similar things regarding effort.
I am not here to say that you are wrong for seeing instances where it appears that effort is lacking. I see, also, instances where it appears that Hunter could have gone after balls harder.

I do, though, think the numbers at least back up that what Hunter is already doing is extraordinary; of guys his size, only the eventual back-to-back NPOY is doing better.

And I think there is something to be said for conserving energy (because we need him on the floor), and avoiding foul trouble (because we need him on the floor).

In the context of all of this, I have a MUCH bigger problem (rebounding-wise) with our frontcourt guy who IS considered to be high-motor, than with Hunter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

how much center has KJ played this year?

Hunter plays 32.4 minutes a game and Parker 7.8, so I KJ at the 5 has not been much. Certainly not as much as last year, during which he started at the 5.

He was at least serviceable at the 5, rebounds notwithstanding. He has more potential to create matchup problems at the 5, tho that potential can go both ways. And if there's one position on the floor that's best to stick a dood who can't shoot, it's the 5.

I guess I'm trying to decide how much he might be worth playing at the 5. To go from starting there to hardly at all is almost surprising, tho it might be as much as anything a function of our lack of depth 1-4 this year. For the sake of scheming next year's lineup and rotation tho...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

16 months ago you were complaining about small ball.

Kj is not a 5. If Udeh or Zuby would have been better then Kj wouldn't have had to play so much 5 last year. Kj has played almost zero mins at 5 this year.

Kj is a very good 4. He is not an effective 5 because he is so small. He does not shoot well enough to be a 3.

Personally, I think Parker Braun has been more than serviceable at the 5. Also hard for Kj to be the backup 5 when he's already playing 33.6min per game as the 4.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I want the Kj at the 5 era to be over.

Ideally 1 more year of HD, then either Bidunga or a 2025/2026 incoming freshman 7footer with NBA potential.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 pm 16 months ago you were complaining about small ball.

Kj is not a 5. If Udeh or Zuby would have been better then Kj wouldn't have had to play so much 5 last year. Kj has played almost zero mins at 5 this year.

Kj is a very good 4. He is not an effective 5 because he is so small. He does not shoot well enough to be a 3.

Personally, I think Parker Braun has been more than serviceable at the 5. Also hard for Kj to be the backup 5 when he's already playing 33.6min per game as the 4.
In a perfect world, KJ would be getting a mix of minutes as the primary 4 and the secondary 5 (against the other side's backup 5).

Which, again, broken record stuff...this is a GM Bill problem.

McCullar would be an awesome college four-out 4. That would unlock a lot, with Hunter in and without.

However, the misses on Morris, Jackson, Timberlake and Rice mean we can't do that.

And that's WITH getting a lot more than could have reasonably been expected from Furphy.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:51 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 pm 16 months ago you were complaining about small ball.

In a perfect world, KJ would be getting a mix of minutes as the primary 4 and the secondary 5 (against the other side's backup 5).

Which, again, broken record stuff...this is a GM Bill problem.

McCullar would be an awesome college four-out 4. That would unlock a lot, with Hunter in and without.

However, the misses on Morris, Jackson, Timberlake and Rice mean we can't do that.

And that's WITH getting a lot more than could have reasonably been expected from Furphy.
I still think that's too small.

Kj is a defensive positive at the 4, but is a defensive negative at the 5 imo.

KM could do either/or because of defensive versatility, but I actually like him at the 3 more even though he isn't a great shooter because he is good using his size to his advantage against smaller wing/guard defenders in close to the hoop.

I like the idea of being "big" 2 through 4 spots as long as it's not at the expense of speed on defense, which it isn't with KM and Kj.

I under no circumstances want a 6'6 guy at the 5 spot.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish is on fire today. Arguing for KJ to get minutes at the 5

KJ is a bit undersized as a 4. And without any outside shooting playing him as an undersized 4 limits this team's potential

KJ is really good at some things, but being an undersized forward with no shooting is a handicap in the modern game. We certainly don't need to play him at center. His skill set offensively might be best for the 5, but he is nowhere big enough to play that position
Last edited by randylahey on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think KJ is a stud and perfect at the 4 IF you have strong shooting 1-3.
We don't really.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

In the modern game, you almost can't play more than 1 non shooter on the floor at a time if you want optimal spacing. If KJ is your non shooter, you'd need shooting from the 1-3 and even the 5. A guy like hunter fits with with on offense, but then you have no rim protector
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:22 pm I think KJ is a stud and perfect at the 4 IF you have strong shooting 1-3.
We don't really.
Kj also needs a facilitator at the 1, which luckily he's had. Sometimes our best offense has been a 2man game with DH and Kj. They have a great feel for each other after all these years.

I like at least 2 shooters (who can also get their own shot) and a 5 like HD who is at least capable of hitting 33%3pt just to provide pick and roll space for DH/Kj.

I think DH and Kj would fit perfectly with Gradey at 2 KM 3 and HD 5. Unfortunately he left. Then a bench of Furphy Elmarko and Timberlake is more tolerable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:19 pm Fish is on fire today. Arguing for KJ to get minutes at the 5

KJ is a bit undersized as a 4. And without any outside shooting playing him as an undersized 4 limits this team's potential

KJ is really good at some things, but being an undersized forward with no shooting is a handicap in the modern game. We certainly don't need to play him at center. His skill set offensively might be best for the 5, but he is nowhere big enough to play that position
And unlike you, I will stand by what I said. In the college game, KJ can absolutely be useful for spot minutes at the 5, but would be exposed if that's his main/only spot. You may look back to last year if you need evidence of either of those things.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Kj spot minutes at the 5 situationally? Sure I can agree with you there fish. With the right match up. If we were trying to press or something. But no reason for KJ to take parkers minutes as the back up 5, especially when KJ is basically our only 4
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This would be a fine lineup against a number of teams. Kevin at the 4 defensively. You'd rotate in KJ often. It wasn't ideal but Josh Jackson played our 4 for almost an entire season and we made a Final Four.

Hunter / KJ
Kevin / KJ
Furphy / Kevin
Gradey Dick
DH

If you recall, last season, KJ spent a lot of time as the solo 5.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:08 pm This would be a fine lineup against a number of teams. Kevin at the 4 defensively. You'd rotate in KJ often. It wasn't ideal but Josh Jackson played our 4 for almost an entire season and we made a Final Four.

Hunter
Kevin
Furphy
Gradey Dick
DH

If you recall, last season, KJ spent a lot of time as the solo 5.
Shooters are cheat codes, man.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shooters are necessary for success with how the game is played today.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:15 pm Shooters are necessary for success with how the game is played today.
I guess I'm just a little sour that we never really got to see Gradey do what he's capable of doing; imagine Hunter in the middle of an offense that can be stretched to 30+ feet.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:26 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:15 pm Shooters are necessary for success with how the game is played today.
I guess I'm just a little sour that we never really got to see Gradey do what he's capable of doing; imagine Hunter in the middle of an offense that can be stretched to 30+ feet.
I think we'll be feeling that way even more with Furphy if he's convinced himself he can survive in the NBA after this season.